Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oxidation

TC_2006_VLX

Does any one have a recommendation on tools/product to knock out oxidation. I tried using boat candys Performance Boat Candy™ Crystal Cut Polish™ along with Meguiar's DA Power Tool System this last weekend. After an hour i didnt even make a dent in the oxidation...

I’ve heard the new boat juice products are amazing, inside and out. But this would be more of a daily use not full on removal.  Yet to try myself but just passing the word along. 

What I do use it mezerna cut polish, can’t remember which one(someone will know) and it worked amazing, really bringing back that shine and taking away the haze.

There's arguably a million ways to do this, but for sure start with a wool pad and some cutting compound.  A good recommendation is to use 3M cutting compound with a wool pad to start, then switch to normal pads with 3M Perfect-It medium compound + wax (or your preference of medium, then polish then wax if you have another setup.) 

There's a LOT of info (almost too much info) out on YouTube and forums with many pushing their preferred brand and type of compounds.  Do your research and you may find a different products to solve it, but every *ahem* useful product/program starts with the wool pad and cutting compound or even wet sanding as a first step, which many won't do but don't be afraid, it may need it.  Just keep it wet. I like 3M products since they tend to know what they're doing...it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  I used 3M on my ride and went from bad oxidation to mirror finish.  Buy lots of microfiber towels.  Take your time and keep it wet

Depending on the severity, 2000-3000 grit sand paper and wet sand it, then a cutting polish to finish it up. If it's a dark color, a finishing polish is sometimes necessary. 

Always use a wool pad for cutting, on gel. You can use a lighter cutting pad for finishing polishes, though rarely necessary in most peoples applications. Always use a true rotary, or at least forced rotation, polisher. The standard DA stuff you use on your car... .ain't gonna put much of a dent in gel.

And yet.. .I eat oxidation for breakfast and then puke perfectly shiny gel coat after lunch.

• Like 2