Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smoothing out a 2500 HD ride or going to a Yukon Denali

JeffK

@JeffK... you and I have the exact same dilemma, only in reverse.  

We have a 2015 Yukon Denali (6.2L / 8 speed) with 53k miles on it. This is our third full size GM suv (the other two were XL’s), and this is my least favorite.

The shorter wheelbase is more of an issue than I anticipated (and yes, I towed a 25 LSV from DFW to Norris and back with this rig). 

The transmission is everything you just posted... super frustrating.  Maybe the new 10-speed is better.

The mag ride suspension is aweful.  It rides like poop regardless of whether you have 20’s or 22’s.  Lots is guys on the forum ripping it out. I have mag ride on MY daily driver (‘16 Chevy SS), and it’s magnificent!  Not sure why it sucks so bad on the Yuk.  

So we’ve been toying with the idea of getting a truck.  For us it would be a Ford... we’ve test driven F-150, F-250, even Raptor.  I find the GM trucks kinda blah (maybe it’s cuz they look and drive exactly like this Yukon I don’t like) and they’re about to change the body style.  

Im with you though, hard to get the wife to engage...

18 minutes ago, IXFE said:

We have a 2015 Yukon Denali (6.2L / 8 speed) with 53k miles on it. This is our third full size GM suv (the other two were XL’s), and this is my least favorite.

The shorter wheelbase is more of an issue than I anticipated (and yes, I towed a 25 LSV from DFW to Norris and back with this rig). 

The transmission is everything you just posted... super frustrating.  Maybe the new 10-speed is better.

The mag ride suspension is aweful.  It rides like poop regardless of whether you have 20’s or 22’s.  Lots is guys on the forum ripping it out. I have mag ride on MY daily driver (‘16 Chevy SS), and it’s magnificent!  Not sure why it sucks so bad on the Yuk.  

So we’ve been toying with the idea of getting a truck.  For us it would be a Ford... we’ve test driven F-150, F-250, even Raptor.  I find the GM trucks kinda blah (maybe it’s cuz they look and drive exactly like this Yukon I don’t like) and they’re about to change the body style.  

I feel your pain on the magneride. I set up a GoPro under there on each shock. And in my opinion the spring rates are way too stiff. they never allow the shock to move more than maybe an 1" or so unless you drive it off a cliff.  And yes transmission definitely does some strange down shifts mostly. Sometimes the shifts are perfect and some times not even close. 

You will love the f250. Got a couple friends with them and they love them. 

Have you ever had to back down a really steep ramp with the Denali and that 25lsv? 

Just now, IXFE said:

Yes!  And it’s kinda scary when the boat starts to drag the suv backwards. 

Yeah with our 07 Denali awd the vlx drug it backwards. I couldn't imagine what the 25 would have been like. 

My 23LSV will drag my 2011 Denali XL backwards down the ramp.  I kind of think it might be the tires though.  I don't know why that part of the towing experience would be any worse than with a 150/1500 truck.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I had the same experience with my 2011 Yukon. It was actually down at Lake Noris. Scared me to death and I thought we were going down and off the side. That's when I went to a truck.  Electric brakes on the trailer would have made all the difference 

@IXFE Have you considered the new Range rovers? Yes they’re a little more money but they’re gorgeous inside and out, have some legit off-road capabilities that might help on the ramp and towing capacities aren’t too bad either. 

The discovery can tow over 8100lbs

7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

@IXFE Have you considered the new Range rovers? Yes they’re a little more money but they’re gorgeous inside and out, have some legit off-road capabilities that might help on the ramp and towing capacities aren’t too bad either. 

Which model?  I looked on the website at several models and they both all seem to be able to tow around 6000 with the 3L diesel option.

13 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Naw, make sure your straight and enjoy the ride! 

So I can blame you for peppering the hull with launch ramp gravel.  I’ll be sure to return the favor.

I’ve never rolled coal on a launch ramp

4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

So I can blame you for peppering the hull with launch ramp gravel.  I’ll be sure to return the favor.

I’ve never rolled coal on a launch ramp

Thought we were talking about backing down a steep ramp...

10 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

No way.  They're $100K.  For that money I'd buy a Duraburb.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

The new discovery with the surcharged gas engine. 

https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/discovery/index.html

Not to step on anyone's toes but you can read about my range rover experience on the discovery thread a few ticks down.  Just for the record the one I am referring to was 109k before taxes in 2011 so it was the full size proper one.  It also never had a tow hitch inserted into it and was driven mostly by my very slow driving wife.  It had 4 miles on the clock when I took delivery of it.  I wouldn't tow with one for anything.  They eat themselves while running around empty.  They are sexy and comfortable though!  

31 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Lol, kind of like the base MSRP of an F150 is $29,000.  

Agreed. But at least with this because it’s a “luxury brand” you get the nice features in the low models.

17 hours ago, spikew919 said:

I feel your pain on the magneride. I set up a GoPro under there on each shock. And in my opinion the spring rates are way too stiff. they never allow the shock to move more than maybe an 1" or so unless you drive it off a cliff.  And yes transmission definitely does some strange down shifts mostly. Sometimes the shifts are perfect and some times not even close. 

You will love the f250. Got a couple friends with them and they love them. 

Have you ever had to back down a really steep ramp with the Denali and that 25lsv? 

17 hours ago, IXFE said:

I spoke with a buddy of mine that is a chevy tech.  He explained the erratic shifts to me and it makes a little sense.  Not sure I am good with the end result, but the logic makes sense to me.  With adding more gears and trying to be fuel efficient and performance oriented, it may skip down a couple gears or up a couple gears in a very short amount of time to get the best mix of performance and efficiency.  The 8-sp has two additional gears beyond the old version and it is trying to stay high in the gears to get the best fuel economy.  He suggested if you didn't like the multiple shifting like that, you could use the tow/haul mode more frequently around town.  Not sure I like that idea, but I could see where it would force it to hold gears longer.  Not saying this is an acceptable answer, just passing along the conversation I had. 

44 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I spoke with a buddy of mine that is a chevy tech.  He explained the erratic shifts to me and it makes a little sense.  Not sure I am good with the end result, but the logic makes sense to me.  With adding more gears and trying to be fuel efficient and performance oriented, it may skip down a couple gears or up a couple gears in a very short amount of time to get the best mix of performance and efficiency.  The 8-sp has two additional gears beyond the old version and it is trying to stay high in the gears to get the best fuel economy.  He suggested if you didn't like the multiple shifting like that, you could use the tow/haul mode more frequently around town.  Not sure I like that idea, but I could see where it would force it to hold gears longer.  Not saying this is an acceptable answer, just passing along the conversation I had. 

That's good context, and totally makes sense, but also reminds me why I hate GM automatic transmissions mated to these awesome V8's.  

My first Chevrolet SS was a 2014 when they only came with auto transmission.  The transmission seemed like it was in a race to keep RPM's as low as possible (e.g. 1,500 rpm which just below where the torque curve really gets fun).  The result was a neutered LS3 motor and subpar throttle response.  I searched high and low to get an SS with 6-speed manual transmission; it took me a year to get my hands on one.  Other than the transmission (and mag ride and bi-modal exhaust), it's largely the same car as my 2014... but it feels ENTIRELY different.  I feel like GM's auto transmissions are designed to keep the motors down in "bog" mode.  The Yukon Denali always feels like it's bogging to me. I had this same experience when I test drove a Camaro ZL1 10-speed a couple of weeks ago.  My Denali has the basically the same motor as found on the Corvette Stingray, but the transmission programming totally chokes it.  That plus the mag ride (also controlled by software) is why I hate the car.  

It's funny because when we car shop, we tend to think we're shopping for hardware, and we are!  But it's the software that will ultimately determine if you're happy with all that expensive hardware.  And that software is designed with the EPA in mind. :cry:

• Like 3

If you don't like the shift patterns of a domestic transmission, that is an easy fix. HP Tuners and others make software that can easily reflash it. You can DIY or have a performance shop do it. 

I redid mine on my previous Avalanche with HP Tuners as the tow/haul shift points were a joke.  Return made a huge difference. I may get around to doing it on my Escalade too but it isn't nearly as bad so not as much of a necessity. 

27 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

If you don't like the shift patterns of a domestic transmission, that is an easy fix. HP Tuners and others make software that can easily reflash it. You can DIY or have a performance shop do it. 

I redid mine on my previous Avalanche with HP Tuners as the tow/haul shift points were a joke.  Return made a huge difference. I may get around to doing it on my Escalade too but it isn't nearly as bad so not as much of a necessity. 

I noticed in several of the forums that people were doing this and things were much better. 

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

As  side note for the ramp concerns, I called down to boatmate this morning and spoke with Owen about an electric brake conversion, just out of curiosity and as an excuse to catch up with an old friend.  He said they do them quite regularly and would be happy to change out the surge brakes to electric brakes.  It requires a new swing away tongue and the hardware to handle the controller, but is easily converted.  Regardless of vehicle, I plan to think long and hard about this one.  I'd love to have electronic brakes on that trailer. 

49 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Yes, I’m on the car forums too and I also subscribe to a lot of the car YouTubers, so I’m well aware of all the tuning game.... it’s not for me. @JeffK is right, putting the suv into tow mode is effectively achieving the same thing (new sorftware map) only it doesn’t void your warranty. 

Edited by IXFE