Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smoothing out a 2500 HD ride or going to a Yukon Denali

JeffK

2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Hadn't thought about that.  They do make a Suburban HD version and a tahoe they call a premier (I think) that has the 6.2 in it.  But I also can't say for certain it is the noise cancelling.  GM can't seem to really pinpoint what the issue is.  There is just sound and pressure that resonates throughout the truck. 

I will definitely check them out.  Would you suggest that over bagging?  Seems like bagging it gives you the flexibility to adjust, but maybe that isn't needed. 

If everthing is set up right, should not need it. But if your Gona haul in the Max towing range then just bags in rear will help keep load level. 

1 minute ago, spikew919 said:

If everthing is set up right, should not need it. But if your Gona haul in the Max towing range then just bags in rear will help keep load level. 

Nope.  The boat is the largest thing I plan to tow.  I just don't want to have to hear the complaints about the ride quality for the next few years if I keep this.

3 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

You are suggesting their air shocks, right?

12 minutes ago, JeffK said:

You are suggesting their air shocks, right?

Don't order off the shelf. Talk to the tech. Most people really don't need air shocks.  Air is very senditive to temp changes. Has charged reservoirs that cushion the oil is the best way to go. And maybe bags in rear. But no bags of it's just the boat. I was hauling 30,000 lbs with my 07  classic Duramax dually and only aired bags up then.  And that truck road better than these newer ones due to the king shocks. And It was lifted 6" front and 4 rear and on 35" nittos. 

IMG_4851.jpg

6 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Don't order off the shelf. Talk to the tech. Most people really don't need air shocks.  Air is very senditive to temp changes. Has charged reservoirs that cushion the oil is the best way to go. And maybe bags in rear. But no bags of it's just the boat. I was hauling 30,000 lbs with my 07  classic Duramax dually and only aired bags up then.  And that truck road better than these newer ones due to the king shocks. And It was lifted 6" front and 4 rear and on 35" nittos. 

IMG_4851.jpg

Will do.  Thanks!  I'll hit them up when they roll in later this morning.  Would love to hear what they suggest.  Care to prep me for the cost so I don't drop the phone when I'm on the call?  I didn't see pricing on their website.

Edited by JeffK
18 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

IMG_4851.jpg

Nice looking rig BTW

Have you considered the new Ford Expedition or the Lincoln Navigator? The interior on the Lincoln was one of the nicest I've ever seen and full of technology. 

Edited by Cazan

Not sure if you are a "by the numbers" guy or not, but I will throw this out there.  None of the GM full size SUVs have hitches that are rated to tow above 5000 pounds unless you go weight distribution.  And the hitch on those vehicles is integrated into the frame, so as far as I can tell, there are no aftermarket solutions.

I know there are lots of people that ignore that (I might be one of them), but as you get up in weight like a 25LSV, it is something to consider.  I don't think I would be comfortable towing that much weight with my 2011 Yukon Denali XL.

The post above about the new offerings from Ford are interesting.  From what I have read, that Navigator is a fantastic SUV.  I am not a fan of the looks (although new models usually grow on me over time), and I couldn't stomach what they cost.  That said, if the looks grow on me, I might be looking to trade in next year or the year after on a lease return.

25 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Have you considered the new Ford Expedition or the Lincoln Navigator? The interior on the Lincoln was one of the nicest I've ever seen and full of technology. 

I have been eyeing them online.  As a Chevy guy since college, I am not comfortable with the interior and looks of the Ford lines, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be.  I have a good friend that is a Ford guy (his Dad worked at a plant so they get A plan) and we've discussed it at length.  They drive differently, ride differently, start differently, sound differently and the interior is laid out very differently.  That is a hard mental hurdle to jump overnight, but I'm trying to be very open.  I'd assume it is much like jumping from a Malibu to a MC or Nautique.  Nothing wrong with the others, but definitely takes some getting used to. 

5 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Not sure if you are a "by the numbers" guy or not, but I will throw this out there.  None of the GM full size SUVs have hitches that are rated to tow above 5000 pounds unless you go weight distribution.  And the hitch on those vehicles is integrated into the frame, so as far as I can tell, there are no aftermarket solutions.

I know there are lots of people that ignore that (I might be one of them), but as you get up in weight like a 25LSV, it is something to consider.  I don't think I would be comfortable towing that much weight with my 2011 Yukon Denali XL.

The post above about the new offerings from Ford are interesting.  From what I have read, that Navigator is a fantastic SUV.  I am not a fan of the looks (although new models usually grow on me over time), and I couldn't stomach what they cost.  That said, if the looks grow on me, I might be looking to trade in next year or the year after on a lease return.

I didn't realize that to be honest.  That's actually pretty shocking, based on the tow ratings.  I am normally a by the numbers guy, with lots of cushion room for error, but I will say I've never felt dangerous towing with a full size GM SUV in the past.  Largest we have personally owned to date is the 23, but there is always room to consider the 25. 

Where did you find that data?  Any indication that the Ford hitch would be the same?  Hard to believe that about the GM with it being frame mounted. 

50 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Where did you find that data?  Any indication that the Ford hitch would be the same?  Hard to believe that about the GM with it being frame mounted. 

It is printed on the hitch itself.  5000 pounds weight carrying.  10000 pounds weight distribution.  I'll take a photo of mine when I get home if you would like.

GM has been that way for a long time.  I had a 2003 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 that was the same way.  I had that hitch removed and replaced with a Class V Curt that was rated to something like 17,000 pounds.  I had them both side by side on the ground before the new one went on and it was amazing how flimsy the OEM hitch looked compared to the Curt.

I have heard others question the OEM hitch on an F150, but I have never looked at them myself.  It would be worth checking out.

I see guys all the time towing bigger loads than my boat with full size GM SUVs, and I have never heard of a problem.  So you need to make your own decision on how much "safety factor" there is built into the ratings.

3 minutes ago, RyanB said:

It is printed on the hitch itself.  5000 pounds weight carrying.  10000 pounds weight distribution.  I'll take a photo of mine when I get home if you would like.

GM has been that way for a long time.  I had a 2003 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 that was the same way.  I had that hitch removed and replaced with a Class V Curt that was rated to something like 17,000 pounds.  I had them both side by side on the ground before the new one went on and it was amazing how flimsy the OEM hitch looked compared to the Curt.

I have heard others question the OEM hitch on an F150, but I have never looked at them myself.  It would be worth checking out.

I see guys all the time towing bigger loads than my boat with full size GM SUVs, and I have never heard of a problem.  So you need to make your own decision on how much "safety factor" there is built into the ratings.

Thanks Ryan.  Not necessary to grab a picture.  I was just curious where you may have gathered the data. 

Have you tried just adding weight to the bed? My wife wont ride in my 3500's until they have some tools. You would be surprised what 300-400 lbs will do. May not even need that much in a 2500.

1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

Have you tried just adding weight to the bed? My wife wont ride in my 3500's until they have some tools. You would be surprised what 300-400 lbs will do. May not even need that much in a 2500.

I've had weight in it in the past and haven't felt like it helped that much in terms of quieting the passenger, but that's all subjective.  :)