Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smoothing out a 2500 HD ride or going to a Yukon Denali

JeffK

So, I didn't want to keep littering up the OP's thread with the Yukon vs Silverado discussion.  I am looking for some honest feedback, without attacking my man-card here.  I love towing with my Diesel, but miss the conveniences of having the SUV and the extra seating capacity.  The wife misses being able to keep our luggage and food when we travel out of the elements (as do I) and hates how it has gotten to ride more like a truck every day (don't care here).  New, it was much smoother.  Any suggestions to get back to that point?  Is that a suspension choice?  I'll never tow a 5th wheel with it and the boat will be the largest thing I tow.  We are out of my element of knowledge here so I figured there were plenty that had some good advice.  It is getting close to being due for tires, so I either want to trade it before I spend 1500 on tires or add tires and other things to make it more bearable.  Parking it is a pain, especially if I have to use a parking garage, but I'll continue to live with that if I can figure something else out. 

That's always an option.  We tried a lease for the very first time for my wife and it is up in October.  My good friend owns a few car dealerships and said this was one of the best lease programs he has seen and he knew I was curious about giving it a try.  It was only 24 months, so we figured we would give it a shot.  It has worked out well since she's wrecked the dang thing twice.  :surprised:  I've already warned him he does not want to take that thing into dealer inventory.  Anyway, we've got until then before replacing her car. 

Not sure who to buy from on chevys, but tuned shocks and swapping leaf springs can make a huge difference. Several of my friends run Carli lift kits on their rams and fords and they ride amazing. 

• Like 1

We have a Denali HD (2500, diesel, 4X4) and a Yukon Denali. Both will tow the 23LSV just fine. The Pickup will do a much better job. We had a 1500 Sierra for a while and the Yukon Denali would do a much better job than the 1500. There's no way you'll get a 2500 to ride like the Yukon. The suspension is so much stiffer, thus the 2500 rating. I haven't done it but I expect that if you could lower the air pressure on the 2500, it would ride a lot smoother. I get dash warnings at anything lower that 60 psi on mine.

There are a ton of bed cover options out there, get one.

My 2nd gen Escalade EXT has the standard 3-piece covers.  Weather tight, can walk on them, easy to remove, etc.  Same covers they used from 2002-2013 on the Escalade EXT and Avalanche.  If I buy another truck, I'm going to look for a similar cover setup as I like them a lot.  It poured down rain hard yesterday at all angles, including me driving in it (before it turned to ice then snow) - not a drop in the bed when I was loading Costco goods back there.  Tailgate electrically locks for the appearance of security, as you can get back in there with a screwdriver in literally 2 seconds without damaging anything.  

Get the 18" wheels instead of the 20" , the taller sidewall will make the ride a little softer. I don't think my Denali HD rides much rougher than the Yukon, but I also have 35" tires on it. 

Eleven months ago I purchased a 2017 Yukon XL Denali 4x4. It has the 6.2L w/ 8 speed. It is a dream to drive and incredibly fast. It easily handles my LSV and the mileage when towing was better than I had anticipated. When we travel with the boat, we travel heavy (both suv and boat). It's so comfortable on road trips and nearly drives itself with the adaptive cruise and lane assist. The heads up display is one of my favorite features because you can set it to show different things (speed, speed limit, adjust cruise, music, navigation, etc). The 6.2L and 8 speed tranny roar, it's seriously like a 3+ ton sports car.

We considered a diesel pickup, but the cab was going to be tight for our family and the wife did not like the stiffness of the 3/4 ton. At the end of the day we couldn't justify the trade offs. And after the first road trip with the Yukon XL/boat, I'm glad I didn't go that direction.

The Yukon is an extra vehicle for us and primarily only used for longer trips. I had anticipated that we'd put about 6k-8k miles on it annually, but we're already over 13k. It  hasn't seen the shop since I picked it up (knock on wood).

Do yourself a favor and check out the newest model (2015+) Yukon Denali to form your own opinion. Based on conversations like this in the past, I think a lot of the folks posting on this thread or your other thread have older model Yukon Denali's. 

Putting a topper on and a decked drawer in system adds enough weight to accomplish smoothing the rear hop out a bit and gives you plenty of storage optiond without taking the big sale hit.  

Edited by Pra4sno
23 hours ago, Ronnie said:

We have a Denali HD (2500, diesel, 4X4) and a Yukon Denali. Both will tow the 23LSV just fine. The Pickup will do a much better job. We had a 1500 Sierra for a while and the Yukon Denali would do a much better job than the 1500. There's no way you'll get a 2500 to ride like the Yukon. The suspension is so much stiffer, thus the 2500 rating. I haven't done it but I expect that if you could lower the air pressure on the 2500, it would ride a lot smoother. I get dash warnings at anything lower that 60 psi on mine.

Your dealer can drop the threshold pressure if you have a good relationship. Or some shops or individuals can. I have done several friends with rams but haven't done a newer Gm. 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.  Hard to have a deep debate with the wifey on topics like this.  Just no interest.  I'm on the fence at this point and feel like talking (typing) it out with other guys always helps out.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:00 AM, oldjeep said:

Keeping stuff out of elements is simple, there are plenty of secure weather tight tonneau and topper options.

Is the suspension stock, or did you level it?  If stock then some quality shocks, if leveled, remove the kit.

All stock.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:28 PM, Nitrousbird said:

There are a ton of bed cover options out there, get one.

My 2nd gen Escalade EXT has the standard 3-piece covers.  Weather tight, can walk on them, easy to remove, etc.  Same covers they used from 2002-2013 on the Escalade EXT and Avalanche.  If I buy another truck, I'm going to look for a similar cover setup as I like them a lot.  It poured down rain hard yesterday at all angles, including me driving in it (before it turned to ice then snow) - not a drop in the bed when I was loading Costco goods back there.  Tailgate electrically locks for the appearance of security, as you can get back in there with a screwdriver in literally 2 seconds without damaging anything.  

We have the roll-n-lock cover.  Functionality is good, but have to jump up into the bed anytime we take more than the smallest of luggage.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, Cole2001 said:

What about the new expedition and the eco boost? 

I've always been a chevy guy just from working knwoeldge of the trucks and engines.  I'm not opposed to switching, but It'll take some getting used to the idea.  From the dealership days, we went through the engine school and I am very comfortable with the GM powerplants. 

On 1/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, G Spot said:

Eleven months ago I purchased a 2017 Yukon XL Denali 4x4. It has the 6.2L w/ 8 speed. It is a dream to drive and incredibly fast. It easily handles my LSV and the mileage when towing was better than I had anticipated. When we travel with the boat, we travel heavy (both suv and boat). It's so comfortable on road trips and nearly drives itself with the adaptive cruise and lane assist. The heads up display is one of my favorite features because you can set it to show different things (speed, speed limit, adjust cruise, music, navigation, etc). The 6.2L and 8 speed tranny roar, it's seriously like a 3+ ton sports car.

We considered a diesel pickup, but the cab was going to be tight for our family and the wife did not like the stiffness of the 3/4 ton. At the end of the day we couldn't justify the trade offs. And after the first road trip with the Yukon XL/boat, I'm glad I didn't go that direction.

The Yukon is an extra vehicle for us and primarily only used for longer trips. I had anticipated that we'd put about 6k-8k miles on it annually, but we're already over 13k. It  hasn't seen the shop since I picked it up (knock on wood).

Do yourself a favor and check out the newest model (2015+) Yukon Denali to form your own opinion. Based on conversations like this in the past, I think a lot of the folks posting on this thread or your other thread have older model Yukon Denali's. 

My only fear is I am reading LOTS, and I mean lots of issues with the new 8 spd transmission.  Minimal dealer support after the warranty expires.  Clunking, slow shifts, erratic downshifts, etc.  I was sold on them until that.

We have secure storage, just don't like having to jump in and out of the bed to do it. 

24 minutes ago, JeffK said:

We have the roll-n-lock cover.  Functionality is good, but have to jump up into the bed anytime we take more than the smallest of luggage.

We have secure storage, just don't like having to jump in and out of the bed to do it. 

So get a flip out tailgate ladder if you are too short to reach.  Doesn't the 2500 have steps in the bumper corners anyways?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GREAT-DAY-TRUCK-N-BUDDY/1676666.uts?productVariantId=3551958&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03735564&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLre_Kja2AIVjLjACh2MRA_jEAQYASABEgKuyPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

16 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It does, and I'm 6'0.  I can reach, but harder for the wife.  And honestly, just prefer not to have to jump up in there and pack into the back.  I don't like the idea of a topper, so roll back for me is perfect.  Just missing the seating and interior space.

I lower the air pressure of my rear tires to 55-50 psi when not loaded to help with ride quality.

Then pressure back up to 65-75 when towing, or have cab over camper on.

A Yukon XL isn't taking away your man card at all, it still has a V8 :).  In all seriousness if you do go with a XL I'd recommend the 6.2 motor, my parents have the 5.3 and it struggles towing their I/O with a full truck and gear for an extended weekend....now that I look more into it the 6.2L is only available in the Denali edition.

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.  Hard to have a deep debate with the wifey on topics like this.  Just no interest.  I'm on the fence at this point and feel like talking (typing) it out with other guys always helps out.

All stock.

I've always been a chevy guy just from working knwoeldge of the trucks and engines.  I'm not opposed to switching, but It'll take some getting used to the idea.  From the dealership days, we went through the engine school and I am very comfortable with the GM powerplants. 

My only fear is I am reading LOTS, and I mean lots of issues with the new 8 spd transmission.  Minimal dealer support after the warranty expires.  Clunking, slow shifts, erratic downshifts, etc.  I was sold on them until that.

Mine is very smooth. I've seen very limited feedback on that in the forums I frequent. The 2018's have a 10 speed.

2 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

I lower the air pressure of my rear tires to 55-50 psi when not loaded to help with ride quality.

Then pressure back up to 65-75 when towing, or have cab over camper on.

A Yukon XL isn't taking away your man card at all, it still has a V8 :).  In all seriousness if you do go with a XL I'd recommend the 6.2 motor, my parents have the 5.3 and it struggles towing their I/O with a full truck and gear for an extended weekend....now that I look more into it the 6.2L is only available in the Denali edition.

No question.  I wouldn't consider the 5.3.  It is denali or nothing for me.  Started doing some deep research and saw a lot of people complaining about the transmission form 2016 and up.

Has anyone actually towed a new 2018 LSV with 1/2 chassis Denali?  I'd be interested to hear feedback on this - these boat are getting heavier.

I upgraded to a 2015 F-250 Powerstroke and I can't wait to get some weight behind it.

4 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

Has anyone actually towed a new 2018 LSV with 1/2 chassis Denali?  I'd be interested to hear feedback on this - these boat are getting heavier.

I upgraded to a 2015 F-250 Powerstroke and I can't wait to get some weight behind it.

@IXFE towed his 25 lsv with a Yukon Denali. 

5 hours ago, JeffK said:

No question.  I wouldn't consider the 5.3.  It is denali or nothing for me.  Started doing some deep research and saw a lot of people complaining about the transmission form 2016 and up.

Ours is a 2015 with the 6.2 with 8 speed tranny. It started shuttering at around 30k miles. Felt like torque converter. All dealer did was flush the tranny and now we have 70k or so and no shutter so far, knock on wood. 

5 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

Not yet but can't wait! It's only ~1k more - won't even be noticeably different.