Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Norris Lake

SkierAtHeart

It seems like there is quite a few Crew members that live around Knoxville area.  Tell me about Norris Lake and the surrounding lakes.  Do any crew members live on Norris Lake?  Any other lakes in the area just as cool as Norris?  Are there any ski courses on the lake or in the surrounding areas?      

Edited by SkierAtHeart

We try to rent a lake house there once a year. Best lake I have ever boated on - we love it there.

Lack of good jobs to support living on the water and crappy school systems around the lake are the reasons we don't live there. We may retire there though...

We are at Norris about half the summer, up in the Northeast corner by flat hallow, I am not aware of any ski courses up there. The water level fluctuations are very drastic from spring to fall, about 20 feet.  It might be hard to keep the buoys in place.   Down south you can probably get to Knoxville in 30minutes.

• 1 year later...

Re-popping a pretty old topic, but there is a slalom ski course on Norris Lake in the Big Creek area, not too far northwest of Sequoyah Marina (or between Waypoint 5 & 6 if you speak that language).

Spend a few weeks a summer there. The kid is entering her Junior year and the wife and I both work from home. We are actively looking for a place down there now to go full time in 2 years. The Wife is a bit more driven t moving than I am but, TN is much warmer than Columbus OH. On a good note, I made her agree that if we sold our house and moved to TN I could buy an M235:) 

Same question though, Does anyone actually live there year round. What to do in the winter? 

We love Norris Lake!!  We go down to a friend's house at least a week every summer. Their house is close to Sugar Hallow.  I've never seen the ski course but supposedly there is one. Best Lake EVER. It's about a 3.5-4 hour drive for us , coming from Elizabethtown. I also have some friends that boat on Laurel Lake, they said it's just as nice as Norris.

• 1 year later...

We maintain a slalom course up Big Creek on Norris Lake for Skiers of Knoxville.  In good condition to ski from May-Oct.  Coming up Big Creek from Sequoyah Marina, its the first cove on left after coming under the power wires.  You can check out our FB group: Big Creek Slalom.  Hope you enjoy and help us keep it in good shape!

• 2 years later...
On 6/13/2019 at 4:42 PM, geogilbert said:

Does anyone actually live there year round. What to do in the winter? 

Yes, some of us do. Not much to do but fire up the side-by-side and go riding in the mountains. Definitely have to make your fun around here!

I live in West Knoxville but we always go to Norris at least once a year. Tennessee has had a massive influx of new out of state residents since covid. Norris is really nice but almost an hour from my house. When we want to play we got to Tellico which is about 7 miles from my place. Dodging retirees in pontoon boats is mostly the worst of it and we surf to our hearts content during the week with minimal traffic. For social stuff and booze cruise/ chillin we go to Ft Loudon. Not near as nice as Norris but busy has places to eat and all my friends have slips over there for their boats. I think one of the cool things about this area is living in the wake boat capitol of the world. Everyone except Centurion pavati Nautique are here. When I need parts I can go straight to multiple different suppliers in about a 20 minute drive and pickup whatever I need. Not to mention seeing preproduction  boats on  Tellico if you have a sharp eye.