Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used '08 23LSV help?

MJO21

We have decided as a family that it is time to upgrade.  We have had a 19' fish & ski since 1999.  we are a family of 4, our kids are 12 & 16, and we just do not fit in the boat anymore.  Plus as the kids are getting older they are also wanting to always bring friends.  Time is getting short as my daughter will be off to college in a few years so my time with her now is of the utmost importance.

We have been looking for about 4 months and are a bit overwhelmed with the brands,options, sizes, etc, etc, etc......  We are willing to consider almost anything.  PROBLEM is that we will be spending a lot of money and do not want to deal with problems....used boat-crap shoot-I know.   But I still want to put the odds in my favor.

So far my wife like the Malibu, head and shoulders above anything else.  

I found a 2008 23LSV that is in very good condition, inside and out.  I usually find you can tell a lot by about a person by the way they maintain their stuff-especially the interior.  The guy we have been talking with is a classic car restoration guy.  The inside and out are 8-9 out of 10.  Engine is a 340 Monsoon.  He says the engine compartment is easy access and the engine easy to work on that oil and impellers were changed every 25 hours.  The current owner says he has only filled the ballasts tanks a couple times because in a few hours of playing they will switch from surfing, to wakeboarding, to skiing, to tubing numerous times.  He said the wake with just the wedge was great for what they wanted.

My concerns:

Hours:  boat has 850hrs.  he says that is "key on" hours?  a lot of the hours are idling or even swimming listening to the radio.   From what I have read 850 hours/10 year boat==85hrs/year is not a really bad thing or an excessive amount of hours????

I have a mechanic friend going that way on vacation in a few weeks he is going to check the compression and give the engine a look over.

Going from 19' to 23' should offer us plenty of seating???   But how is storage on these?  lifejackets, inflatables, (racks for boards are there), coolers, food, towels, etc, etc....

What are other things that I must check out? worry about? ask about? especially things directly related to this model and or year?

any other shopping advice would definitely be welcomed!!!

Thank you,

Mike

Edited by MJO21
add info

I am not sure why he changed the oil and impeller every 25 hours. It should be oil every 50 hours and the impeller at every 100 hours. Indmar has recently suggested changing the oil every 35 hours if you regularly use a lot of ballast. Unless the owner of the 08 was loading the boat down with a lot of ballast, he was changing the oil more often than required. I would ask him why he was changing the oil so frequently. 

In short you'll love the 23lsv.  It should have enough space and storage for your crew.  I wakeboard w/ just the wedge but fill a lot of ballast to surf.  I also ski my boat when it has minimal wake.  If you always have a big crew and want even better surfing you may consider a 25lsv but they're harder to tow and store. 

850 hours isn't many if it was properly maintained.  If you're unsure about something hire a mechanic to do a compression and leak down test.  I'm guessing the engine is solid.  I know mine is at 800 hours.  The monsoon 340 is a good engine and easy to work on so what you're really looking for now is any major problems or signs of neglect.  Also try and change your attitude from "I don't want any problems" to I've got a plan when something small comes up.  It's a 10 year old boat remember.  Most normal maintenance on these is pretty easy DIY and not very expensive.  If you're not a DIY guy find a good inboard shop and make friends quickly.  That way if you ever do have an issue you'll be prepared and won't be calling all over town missing weeks of boating.  Hang out here too,  tons of info on this site.  

Oh I saw you already mentioned having a mechanic  take a look. I don't think the hours are "key on" hours.  I think there is a min rpm to count the hours.  The GM marine scanner is different than a car scanner so you'll want a marine mechanic (who owns the tool) to verify the hours.  The ECU will store the hours and even has a break down of how many hours in each RPM zone.  If you have a different gauge on the dash showing hours than I do you may have "key on" hours so my point is just get someone to pull the actual hours from the ECU. 

Post where you're located.  If you lived near me I'd help you check out boats.  There are members all over. 

I posted a "buying a used inboard guide" awhile back you could search for it but it sounds like you've got the basics down.  Don't forget to thoroughly inspect the trailer and ask how often he serviced the bearings.  Check the date code on the tires and no matter what he says on the bearings I'd re pack them this year if you buy the boat. 

Can you water test the boat?

Edited by Gavin17

My thoughts:

- I wouldn't be concerned with the number of hours at all. Especially if he actually maintained it like he said. I wouldn't consider 800's high.

- A 23' v-drive will give you a ton more seating. Plus, there's storage under just about every seat and in the rear compartments. No shortage there.

- I don't know a ton about this specific year/model, but in general bring a flashlight and really check out the engine compartment and looks for signs of neglect, oil, leaks, etc.....I trailer a lot and significant distances, so I really grill the trailer (bunks, wiring, tires, bearings, etc.)........I'm sure you already have, but check if it comes with a cover, bimini, etc. and check the condition of all those........do all the components work? Create a checklist and go through the boat methodically.

- When I go through a boat, I *try* to take the emotion out and be objective. I can't say it's worked yet, but each time I'm getting better.

My kids are pretty young right now, but I can't wait until they are older and can do more in and behind the boat. I also have a lot of nephews and nieces (ranging from 4yo to 16yo), so our "crew" is usually pretty big. A v-drive and a Malibu, for that matter, is the way to go.

18 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

In short you'll love the 23lsv.  It should have enough space and storage for your crew.  I wakeboard w/ just the wedge but fill a lot of ballast to surf.  I also ski my boat when it has minimal wake.  If you always have a big crew and want even better surfing you may consider a 25lsv but they're harder to tow and store. 

850 hours isn't many if it was properly maintained.  If you're unsure about something hire a mechanic to do a compression and leak down test.  I'm guessing the engine is solid.  I know mine is at 800 hours.  The monsoon 340 is a good engine and easy to work on so what you're really looking for now is any major problems or signs of neglect.  Also try and change your attitude from "I don't want any problems" to I've got a plan when something small comes up.  It's a 10 year old boat remember.  Most normal maintenance on these is pretty easy DIY and not very expensive.  If you're not a DIY guy find a good inboard shop and make friends quickly.  That way if you ever do have an issue you'll be prepared and won't be calling all over town missing weeks of boating.  Hang out here too,  tons of info on this site.  

Oh I saw you already mentioned having a mechanic  take a look. I don't think the hours are "key on" hours.  I think there is a min rpm to count the hours.  The GM marine scanner is different than a car scanner so you'll want a marine mechanic (who owns the tool) to verify the hours.  The ECU will store the hours and even has a break down of how many hours in each RPM zone.  If you have a different gauge on the dash showing hours than I do you may have "key on" hours so my point is just get someone to pull the actual hours from the ECU. 

Post where you're located.  If you lived near me I'd help you check out boats.  There are members all over. 

I posted a "buying a used inboard guide" awhile back you could search for it but it sounds like you've got the basics down.  Don't forget to thoroughly inspect the trailer and ask how often he serviced the bearings.  Check the date code on the tires and no matter what he says on the bearings I'd re pack them this year if you buy the boat. 

Can you water test the boat?

I second this, when I bought mine, the hour meter said 150, but when I had it inspected, engine software said it was only 120, mine is old to count "hours on or running" but doesnt break down RPM ranges. And my buddy still leaves the key on sometimes, and logging hours.

The ECU shouldn't be counting hours when the engine is off. I left the key on overnight on accident on my 06 and it didn't tick over any hours at all. That said if the boat has maintenance records and is in good condition there is no reason to be concerned about those hours. Some people replace engines at 300 hours and others run for 3000. The key is a good through inspection with compression and leak down test then water test. The owner should know about anything that needs attention already so if you get on the water and it has a lot of surprises that would concern me.

That 340 monsoon is an amazing engine if you keep up on regular service. It is the perfect balance of simplicity and technology. For me it was impeller every season and oil changes every 30-40 hours. Don't plan on going 50 because it's so cheap and easy to do and if you go over a little it will still get done by 50 hours. Carry a spare distributor cap and rotor with you along with your old impeller. Never had to do the impeller on the water but a brand new under 3 hours old distributor rotor left me stranded once.   

Less than 100 hours a year is certainly normal use.  Not to question a nonissue, but Key on hours?  Is an 08 hour meter not run by the oil pressure sensor?  You could have a dealer check the ECM and tell you the hours at what RPM if you were real concerned.

Just now, Ridebutter said:

Less than 100 hours a year is certainly normal use.  Not to question a nonissue, but Key on hours?  Is an 08 hour meter not run by the oil pressure sensor?  You could have a dealer check the ECM and tell you the hours at what RPM if you were real concerned.

The 08 hour meter data on the gauge comes straight from the ECU. If something is unplugged between the gauges and ECU the hour meter will read 0

1 hour ago, MJO21 said:

According to the on line book I found it says every 25 hours?  Impeller does say every 100.  

http://media.channelblade.com/EProWebsiteMedia/3506/Indmar Owner's Manual 2003-present.pdf

p6-3

Page 6-2...ask if he operated his boat exclusively on a small ski type lake. That is the caveat for the 25 hours, but if he did it every 25 hours and boated in the open, that is great.

I've had the same boat for 3 years now and it's been great fit for our family and friends. Got it with 125 hours and now it's around 290 with only routine annual maintenance (fluid changes, impeller, plugs, etc.). Like others said, the engine is bulletproof if maintained and even at 800+ it should be good for many years if it checks out well now for you.

Check out the trailer too. Mine's been good but many trailers of that year (for most makes since they used the same axle supplier) had bad axles. I would assume any issues would have happened by now.

You'll want extra ballast bags in the rear lockers if you plan to surf much as the stock ballast surf wave isn't great.

Not sure where you're located but I know another really clean '08 23 LSV that will be for sale in Oregon this spring...

• Like 1

Our 08 is wonderful. We have a 4-6 year old. Plus we have clients or their family to come with us. We load it full of ballast and play all day and night. We have enjoyed the boat much more than we did the rzr1k4. my wife looks good in muck boots but much better in a 2pc. 

Edited by sChamblee

Love our 08 23lsv. Lots of room for both people and gear. Add some extra ballast and suck gate and surfs pretty good. If you get  it this site will be your best tool on how to set it up as well as DIY repairs and projects. Take your time and check out everything, plenty of boats out there. Pics would help and I agree have a shop down load the hour meter data, that will tell you a lot on rpm ranges the guy ran it at. Your family will love it and the kids will go crazy over surfing. Good luck.

What are your goals with the boat?  You'd be surprised that for how happy everyone on here is with their boats, that in general we also have a line on any good used boat put there in this category. 

Might be some good recommendations and boats lurking in the shadows with fewer things to raise eyebrows at.  

My fault here...in my excitement I didn’t realize I I got the year wrong....boat is a 2007.

ee are most interested in surfing and wake boarding. We are big about dropping anchor and swimming with a cocktail. I really like having a sun pad and a swim platform.

Only draw back I can find so fa is that it will not fit in the garage. Unless the blade tower fmbreas down or is easily removable. 

I am also curious about fuel efficiency?   It does have the 340 Monsoon set up with the factory stock prop. Is 50gal a weekend??? Say a 90 min round trip boat ride both days at cruising speed and say 2 hours of water spirts each day??!!Not that I care...but out of curiosity, what is top end?   

It probably has the 537 prop which will be great for top end but you’ll want something else like a 1235 for pushing surf weight.

Fuel efficiency is great on that engine and I’ll typically spend $25-30 on an afternoon surfing, swimming and pulling a tube for 30 minutes at the end. 55 gallon tank is more than enough for a long 3 day weekend for us. We surf around 2700 rpms with 2,000 lbs plus crew on top of stock ballast and wedge.

No idea on top end speed honestly but will get where you want to go just fine.

The hull was updated in 2008 and then again in 2014, so keep that in mind.

I have a 2004 which I think has the same hull as the 2007, also have a monsoon 340.

I've burned a full tank in a day multiple times but you have to really try.  You definitely get better fuel economy anchored and swimming than cruising and surfing.  Typically I use about 1.5 tanks per weekend but it all depends on the particular crew and activities.  The more small kids and "here for the beer" folks on board the less fuel you will use. If you have a boat full of riders, you're gonna burn gas.  I've never actually calculated my fuel usage because I don't really want to know plus I'm not going to change my riding to try and get better fuel economy so what's the point?  The main fuel saving habit I have is to only cruise around 25 or so unless we're racing the sun home,  Even though the boat feels awesome going 40mph on smooth water. These  aren't rough water boats but it should ride better than your 19' fish n ski.  If it's really rough you cruise nose up at 10mph.  I call it plow mode.  We had an 18' runabout before the malibu and everything about the Malibu is better except maybe garageability. 

Stock prop was 537, top speed 43.  I liked the stock prop for wakeboarding but if you really load the boat it struggles pushing it. I swapped to a 1235 and it's much better at pushing heavy weights for surfing, 41mph top speed. 

If it's usually just the 4 of you you could get a smaller boat.   If you like to bring friends you may be the perfect candidates for a 23 lsv.  I've pulled every tow sport I can think of behind ours except barefooting.

I'm guessing I average 4-5 GPH so with 15 hours of daylight in the summer it's possible to burn a full tank.  Plus if you fill up between 1/4 and 1/8th tank then the fuel burned is 45-48 gal and not 55.  Don't run the boat too low, its hard to fuel pumps and a silly risk if you ask me. 

If you plan to get into surfing you'll probably want to spend 1-2k to upgrade the boat if it hasn't been already.  I added more ballast, got a new prop and use a mission delta surf device.  Just make sure you budget that.