Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali


RCorsa

Recommended Posts

Just ordered a new Truck (my first) to pull a new M235 arriving in March. Was able to get about 10% off MSRP which seamed like a decent deal.  I was going to go with the 1500 until a friend of mine said I should “tow like a man” and that he would never consider towing a 6000lb boat with fuel/equipment and family etc with a 1500 despite the tow rating around 9800 since we often have to go up step mountain passes to get to some of the great skiing lakes.   He said you want more truck than you need as it can get you out of trouble on the road much better.  It a fair bit more money up front but he also said the depreciation for a 3/4 ton diesel is way less than the 1/2 ton trucks which drop like a rock? The truck I ordered has the 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 with an Allison 1000 6 speed transmission.  

Love to get folks thoughts if they have experience on this.  Thanks in advance.....

Link to comment
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JeffK

    7

  • IXFE

    6

  • Chrisjjbrown

    8

  • bamaboy

    8

Have the same truck, but a 2016. Absolutely love it. We rarely need the diesel for pulling power but it is the comfort of having it when needed, if ever. You will be much happier towing with the 2500 as opposed to the 1500.  We pull our 23lsv twice a year and hardly notice it back there. 

 

Link to comment

That "6000 pound boat" is probably closer to 8000 pounds + all in.  My 23LSV is 6500 pounds, and I know you have a lot more boat than I do.  So, congrats on the new ride.  My preference is RAM, but I don't think you can go wrong with a 2500 truck of any flavor these days.

Link to comment

Thanks so much for the input. Now I’m really glad I took my buddies advice on the 2500 if this thing is closer to 8000lbs!    It won’t be my daily at all.   Maybe take it to the mountains or when the weather is really bad.   My wife and I both drive Teslas around town and to work so but their utility is almost nothing (her model x is rated at 5000lbs) but I found trying to simply drive up to the mountains to ski  last year we burned 80% battery one way and we barely made it home.  I was thinking of an SUV that could double as a tow car but I think the truck that doubles as a weekend car is the better play.  

 

I got frost white triple layer exterior over black leather interior.  Not planning on any lifting. Not sure what leveling is??  Would this affect the tow capacity? 

Edited by RCorsa
Link to comment

You have a good friend.

I’ve only had 1/2 tons until getting a 2016 3500 Duramax last February and I’ll never go back. It’s a dream to tow with, all the power you can want uphill and then the exhaust brake and transmission gearing make downhills an afterthought. You’ll find yourself just tapping the brakes a few times to set the downhill speed on most hills, if traffic is light.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, RCorsa said:

Thanks so much for the input. Now I’m really glad I took my buddies advice on the 2500 if this thing is closer to 8000lbs!    It won’t be my daily at all.   Maybe take it to the mountains or when the weather is really bad.   My wife and I both drive Teslas around town and to work so but their utility is almost nothing (her model x is rated at 5000lbs) but I found trying to simply drive up to the mountains to ski  last year we burned 80% battery one way and we barely made it home.  I was thinking of an SUV that could double as a tow car but I think the truck that doubles as a weekend car is the better play.  

 

I got frost white triple layer exterior over black leather interior.  Not planning on any lifting. Not sure what leveling is??  Would this affect the tow capacity? 

Leveling the truck out, usually a 2" or 3" front end lift. 

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/chevy-gmc/2011-15-2500hd-3500hd/

If you like the plush ride, or the misses warning this will stiffen up the front end and while totally unnecessary.....lol does look bling :)

 

Link to comment

I have the 2015 version of yours and have absolutely loved it.  This may sound strange, but I am actually going to trade it in on a yukon denali.  We just aren't towing as much as we used to.  The wife hates traveling in it and since we leave the boat at the lake mostly, I will only tow it on 4 or 5 2-hours trips this year.  Our scenario has changed, but I'd keep my truck otherwise.  You definitely won't regret your purchase. 

Link to comment

I have your same truck in a 2017.  

 

It towed the G23 from Michigan to Tennessee like a freaking dream.  I was going 70 through the mountains in Tennessee and that baby didn't EVER crack 2000 RPM.  Even uphill.  #beast

 

Want to know my favorite feature though?  The exhaust brake.  It is absolutely amazing.  It stops my 31 foot camper basically on its own.  Overall, just a sick truck. 

Edited by bamaboy
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I have your same truck in a 2017.  

 

It towed the G23 from Michigan to Tennessee like a freaking dream.  I was going 70 through the mountains in Tennessee and that baby didn't EVER crack 2000 RPM.  Even uphill.  #beast

 

Want to know my favorite feature though?  The exhaust brake.  It is absolutely amazing.  It stops my 31 foot camper basically on its own.  Overall, just a sick truck. 

I second the exhaust brake.  I use that thing even when not towing if I want to keep off my brakes.  Love that feature.

Link to comment

Great choice,

Snow white is the way to go.   I have the same truck in 2016, but in all-terrain package.   You will love it.   Leveling does not affect the tow rating, it just gets rid of the forward rake the truck has and levels the stance.  You just put in new torsion keys.  It allows you to run larger tires with out a full lift. 

As others have said the exhaust break is awesome - I don't know what I would do with out it or how I would slow down the massive payload of my VTX.  :biggrin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JN9TOI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_41?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

 

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, JeffK said:

I have the 2015 version of yours and have absolutely loved it.  This may sound strange, but I am actually going to trade it in on a yukon denali.  We just aren't towing as much as we used to.  The wife hates traveling in it and since we leave the boat at the lake mostly, I will only tow it on 4 or 5 2-hours trips this year.  Our scenario has changed, but I'd keep my truck otherwise.  You definitely won't regret your purchase. 

That's just a horrible decision....

Link to comment
3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I have your same truck in a 2017.  

 

It towed the G23 from Michigan to Tennessee like a freaking dream.  I was going 70 through the mountains in Tennessee and that baby didn't EVER crack 2000 RPM.  Even uphill.  #beast

 

Want to know my favorite feature though?  The exhaust brake.  It is absolutely amazing.  It stops my 31 foot camper basically on its own.  Overall, just a sick truck. 

Your truck is ghey.... I heard your truck spent too much time with uncle rick and it messed up the timing.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

That's just a horrible decision....

I've been back and forth on it.  My ultimate goal is to run the yukon into the ground, then let Duraburb drop the 3/4 ton powerplant and drivetrain in it.

Link to comment

Compared to a HD truck, my Yukon Denali is not nearly as good of a tow vehicle.  But it is a more comfortable driver and easier to park when not towing.  At least comparing to a long bed truck.

Link to comment
17 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Just ordered a new Truck (my first) to pull a new M235 arriving in March. Was able to get about 10% off MSRP which seamed like a decent deal.  I was going to go with the 1500 until a friend of mine said I should “tow like a man” and that he would never consider towing a 6000lb boat with fuel/equipment and family etc with a 1500 despite the tow rating around 9800 since we often have to go up step mountain passes to get to some of the great skiing lakes.   He said you want more truck than you need as it can get you out of trouble on the road much better.  It a fair bit more money up front but he also said the depreciation for a 3/4 ton diesel is way less than the 1/2 ton trucks which drop like a rock? The truck I ordered has the 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 with an Allison 1000 6 speed transmission.  

Love to get folks thoughts if they have experience on this.  Thanks in advance.....

You're Gona love the M and the 2500 Chevy. Have had a a few duramaxes And loved them. Just  be sure to get a good hitch that you can turn over for rise. You're Gona need it. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Compared to a HD truck, my Yukon Denali is not nearly as good of a tow vehicle.  But it is a more comfortable driver and easier to park when not towing.  At least comparing to a long bed truck.

I agree.  I had a 2011 Yukon Denali and it got the job done, but nothing like my HD does now.  We just don't plan on towing nearly as much and want the comfort and extra interior storage space for luggage and sports gear.    I can always go back to the truck at a later date if need be.

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I agree.  I had a 2011 Yukon Denali and it got the job done, but nothing like my HD does now.  We just don't plan on towing nearly as much and want the comfort and extra interior storage space for luggage and sports gear.    I can always go back to the truck at a later date if need be.

No way Jeff.  You can store way more gear in the bed of the truck than in a Yukon. Don’t let your wife make you do it. 

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

No way Jeff.  You can store way more gear in the bed of the truck than in a Yukon. Don’t let your wife make you do it. 

She's not the only advocate.  Her main complaint is the ride comfort.  I miss the extra seats and the interior storage.  Loading and unloading the bed with the roll-n-lock cover is inconvenient.  My perfect vehicle would be a tahoe/yukon with the duramax, but that's got a hefty price tag on it.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

I also have the Yukon Denali and a Duramax Denali, unless for some reason my truck wasn't available I would never choose the Yukon over the truck for towing. 

I have a RAM 3500 DRW and a Denali XL.  The Denali gets the nod when I need more maneuverability - like picking the boat up from service when the dealer lot is tight and I don't want to wait for them to move it with a tractor.  Or on a day trip when I have more people and don't want to take two vehicles.  Otherwise, there really is no comparison.

Link to comment

The bigger HD trucks tow these boats so nicely and I wouldn’t be surprised if your m235 loaded with gear was over 9k.

We have a 2012 chev 3500 and it’s by far the most car like HD truck, the fords and rams just feel so much bigger for those daily driving occasions. We literally only use it for towing and taking gas to the lake so unless we upgrade to a bigger suv, it’s not going anywhere. Great truck!

Link to comment

We also have a 2015 Yukon Denali. Used to tow the vlx with the 2007 we had, but no way I would tow the M. And just a heads up if you buy a Yukon Denali or LTz Tahoe or escalade. Pass on the magneride suspension.  Thank me later 

Link to comment
On 1/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, spikew919 said:

We also have a 2015 Yukon Denali. Used to tow the vlx with the 2007 we had, but no way I would tow the M. And just a heads up if you buy a Yukon Denali or LTz Tahoe or escalade. Pass on the magneride suspension.  Thank me later 

Magnride suspension delete --- Don't believe that's an option, but no way! Love mine. Even with factory 22" wheels its so smooth!

Edited by G Spot
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...