Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Discovery First Edition - New Tow Rig

agarabaghi

why is that? LR4 was rated at 7700lbs... 

Im not to worried about it. Beefy 4 wheel drive. massive brakes. transmission coolers. towing computer assist. auto leveling suspension. 

Lol... might look like an explorer on the outside... spec and performance speak different. But I see I have stumbled up the mass amount of people who will hate on LR without ever owning or having one based on some review their Dad read them back in the 80s or something =D

Ford Explorer:

The 2018 Ford Explorer is able to tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped with the Class III trailer package. 

My Discovery Sport can tow about that much lol 

Edited by agarabaghi
1 minute ago, agarabaghi said:

Im not to worried about it. Beefy 4 wheel drive. massive brakes. transmission coolers. towing computer assist. auto leveling suspension. 

Unibody and people will think that they can actually tow that much without a WD hitch.

LR says not to use WD hitch with the LR4 and Disco 5 series vehicles. I didnt post a picture to get lectured on setting up my vehicle to tow though, but thanks.

1 minute ago, agarabaghi said:

LR says not to use WD hitch with the LR4 and Disco 5 series vehicles. I didnt post a picture to get lectured on setting up my vehicle to tow though, but thanks.

Ah.  well next time post it in the " hey look what I bought thread"  this is the forum for discussions of tow rigs

• Like 1

I assume that Orlando, FL is very flat.  How does this vehicle handle hills and mountains.  I live in El Dorado Hills, CA and it is very hilly.  Also, I live about two hours from Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe.   My concern is the incline from my home (about 600-ft above sea level) to over 7,000-ft above sea level over Donner Summit just to get to these two lakes.  Has anyone every pulled a 6,000 to 7,000 lb boat over Interstate 80 to Tahoe using this Discovery?  I would sure like to know if this vehicle can handle this type of loading over hills and mountains.

P6Expert - No clue but from an off roading stand point the LR4 (both v8 and v6sc) were very capable when we drove cross country to Colorado. 

I would expect the discovery to tow a 7000lbs boat with no issue just maybe bad mpg at altitude. 

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ah.  well next time post it in the " hey look what I bought thread"  this is the forum for discussions of tow rigs

You jumped on the WD hitch claiming the spec the manufacture release to be wrong, when per the manuf the say never to use one with this vehicle or the older LR4. Of course this could open up a while conversation on manuf tow ratings as welllllll

Very nice! What's the performance like just with regular driving? Good on gas too? I would think that would be plenty to tow with especially in Florida. I towed similar loads with a 3.0L diesel Grand Cherokee just fine. I also didn't go 90 mph on the interstate either though. 

All the luxury from a Range in the new discovery. every bell and whistle i can think of and more. city mpg isnt great... disco sport gets 20 this is getting about 17-18

1 hour ago, agarabaghi said:

Lol... might look like an explorer on the outside... spec and performance speak different. But I see I have stumbled up the mass amount of people who will hate on LR without ever owning or having one based on some review their Dad read them back in the 80s or something =D

Ford Explorer:

The 2018 Ford Explorer is able to tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped with the Class III trailer package. 

My Discovery Sport can tow about that much lol 

Jim Holland is the lead designer on the Explorer...he used to work for Land Rover until they were offloaded. 

The explorer is then in fact a copycat of the LR, but not a very good one as they have radically different costs of ownership and reliability.    

Not sure about the 80's comment...those years of RRs were pretty good off roaders.

5 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Jim Holland is the lead designer on the Explorer...he used to work for Land Rover until they were offloaded. 

The explorer is then in fact a copycat of the LR, but not a very good one as they have radically different costs of ownership and reliability.    

Not sure about the 80's comment...those years of RRs were pretty good off roaders.

Design might be similar.... everything else is is not. 

Nice looking rig. Who is LR using for V8 engines now? They do not make their own yet, do they?

My friend has a new Range Rover, really nice car. The only thing that annoys me is the shut down everytime you stop. I assume you can turn that off, but he runs it that way.

One of my happiest days was when my 2011 range rover came in from England after waiting 9 months when ordering it.  Another of my happiest days was getting 19k on trade for it last september on a new mercedes g 550.  the rover went from 109000 to 19000 in 6 years with only 76000 miles.  in that short time i never had a 12k mile service in which the brakes didnt cost me 2k.  basically those big brakes dont last any longer than the oil.  Dropped the transmission at 56000 miles (that was $11000) and what was more surprising than that was the fact that the tv screen dash had a pre-programmed message that said "gearbox failure".  Lost the left hand fuel rail at 61000 miles and that was another 2k.  

It was the epitome of james bond luxury and dead sexy as well, but dont be caught out of warranty with it.  They do make their own engines now and gearboxes are still supplied by zf at last check.  Engines switched from bmw in 2009-10 model year.  They are technically indian being owned by the indian automaker tata.  They are one of the few vehicles that as a cash buyer I would prefer to lease.  The numbers I have run show that leasing is not any more than buying if trying to keep it only while it is in the warranty period.  Thats on the full size rover though,  no idea how that compares to the other models.  They are pretty though, and drive nice as well!  

On 1/11/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jmann said:

One of my happiest days was when my 2011 range rover came in from England after waiting 9 months when ordering it.  Another of my happiest days was getting 19k on trade for it last september on a new mercedes g 550.  the rover went from 109000 to 19000 in 6 years with only 76000 miles.  in that short time i never had a 12k mile service in which the brakes didnt cost me 2k.  basically those big brakes dont last any longer than the oil.  Dropped the transmission at 56000 miles (that was $11000) and what was more surprising than that was the fact that the tv screen dash had a pre-programmed message that said "gearbox failure".  Lost the left hand fuel rail at 61000 miles and that was another 2k.  

It was the epitome of james bond luxury and dead sexy as well, but dont be caught out of warranty with it.  They do make their own engines now and gearboxes are still supplied by zf at last check.  Engines switched from bmw in 2009-10 model year.  They are technically indian being owned by the indian automaker tata.  They are one of the few vehicles that as a cash buyer I would prefer to lease.  The numbers I have run show that leasing is not any more than buying if trying to keep it only while it is in the warranty period.  Thats on the full size rover though,  no idea how that compares to the other models.  They are pretty though, and drive nice as well!  

Have you pulled with the G550? I love the looks. Wifey wants a Benz and this is about the only one I like. Besides a clk63

On 1/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, Pra4sno said:

That body style came out in the Ford Explorer 2011. It moved over to Land Rover in 2013. I have not followed Land Rover ( Rover ) but Ford sold  them and Jaguar to Tata Mo CO. 2008.   It is a good looking ride. I did pull a 23' enclosed snowmobile trailer with  my Explorer same body style in an extreme windy day and was amazed how well it did. I don't pull that large of trailer normally but our normal tow vehicle found a deer days before I had to use the trailer.  Better have some good brakes on the trailer and I would like electric not surge.

Momma so badly wanted one of those discovers but she got convinced into Toyota’s known reliability and having a local dealer. 

The towing capacity is definitely great on some of these “fancier” suvs. Look at the Volkswagen for example and it’s tiny. 

What does this thing have a tiny 2.0l turbo?:cry:

On 1/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, sChamblee said:

Have you pulled with the G550? I love the looks. Wifey wants a Benz and this is about the only one I like. Besides a clk63

No, I have a 2016 yukon xl that is a company ride and will use that.  If it struggles too much I have a 2500hd duramax in a 4 dr gmc that I keep at my farm and I will pull with that.  I might use it anyway as I can fit the rig in my climate controlled barn and would never have to unhook it.  Just not sure how heavy the new 23lsv's are.  The yukon would definitely be easier for trips where my kid brings 3 friends and all the luggage, ect... just dont know if it has the oomph or not.  It definitely wont pull it like the duramax but thats overkill.

• 2 weeks later...

The discovery is a supercharged v6 or a Td6 

The discovery sport and evoque is a 2.0l turbo (230hp or 290hp)

The range and range sport come as a 3.0 Td6, scv6 340hp, or scv6 380hp, scv8 518hp or scv8 557hp

The velar comes with the 2.0t gas or 2.0t diesel or a scv6 380hp

The discovery is the only one rated at 8300lbs towing.

The engines are jaguar inegenium engines

Edited by agarabaghi
2 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

The discovery is a supercharged v6 or a Td6 

The discovery sport and evoque is a 2.0l turbo (230hp or 290hp)

The range and range sport come as a 3.0 Td6, scv6 340hp, or scv6 380hp, scv8 518hp or scv8 557hp

The velar comes with the 2.0t gas or 2.0t diesel or a scv6 380hp

I went and looked at a couple of them earlier this week.  I liked the vehicles, but was really surprised at the lack of smart phone integration.  You can make and receive calls, but that is about it.  Or at least that is what the sales guy told me.

what? 

that is totally wrong.

Incontol Pro is similar to apple carplay / android auto (not not as good)

There is an app on your phone that launches when you plug it in, form there you can access your phones music or certain apps (limited like car play). Spotify is one of them and it is really nice. 

There is also incontrol remote which allows you to auto start the car from anywhere on cell service, check service issues with the car, locate the car, and lock the car. 

There is also incontrol routes which allow you (my favorite thing) to use a phone app called routes which is similar to google maps apple maps etc... to search for a location and set it as a destination, add stops etc... but when you enter the car it will wirelessly sync with the navigation in the car. This was my favorite feature as sometimes on longer trips you want to go somewhere and its a pain to find the place using in car nav and if u use google maps it wont show up on the screen just give audible directions. 

Here are some screenshots of the apps:

hHaIm3Mh.pngyMmhwD5h.pngRPUByl1h.png

Edited by agarabaghi