Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra Transmission fluid change

malibu2004

I changed all of my fluids this last weekend and have a question about the transmission fluid. Toyota uses WS or World Standard fluid. I want to do a drain and fill of the pan. I'll measure what I take out and replace it just that and I'll do it when it's cold. Probably about 4 qts or so. Any issues with doing it this way? Can I use a different fluid brand or should I just stay with Toyota since I'm not replacing all of it. 

How many miles on the truck?

If under 75k its a good idea to full exchange. If over 100k its better to do pan drops and refills spaced out over a few oil changes to prevent breaking up too many deposits.  You will never have fresh fluid in it this way, but enough detergents to keep deposits down.  The mixed old and new fluid will not be able to handle extreme heat the same way new fluid can either, but better than not doing it.

Need to use WS fluid.  Capacity on my two Tacomas and FJ was in the neighborhood of 12 quarts.  Took 14 to do the full exchange - there are videos of how to do it on YouTube.  I put it on a wish list at Amazon and waited until a good price came along.  Folks on Tacomaworld have tried to save money by getting similar specd fluids with bad results.  

Toyota claims WS as a lifetime fluid but it is far from.  My transmission fluid tests from Blackstone came back showing that at 75k its duty cycle was VERY close to ending.  

The Toyota trans are pretty sensitive to hydraulic pressures being correct for smooth, positive shifting to take place.  It will be worthwhile to do the trans temp trick on the dash, warming it up to operating temp, and performing the final drain to level it.  A few months ago I saw the tundra forums had some DIYs for this that may be helpful.

Edited by Pra4sno
Changed language "flush" to proper term "exchange" for clarity

I did the drain and refill method annually on my old 2004 sequoia.  I would extract about 4-5 qts out and replenish with new fluid annually.  The fluid always stayed clean and I never had an issue with trans towing a wakeboat for 8 years and 120k miles on vehicle.

My current 2014 Tundra has 40k miles on it and I am also getting ready to service transmission.  I am planning on doing the same drain and refill.  Unfortunately the Tundra does not have a dipstick to add or check fluid.  Everything is done under the vehicle.  You tube has some good videos of different methods.

Seeing as my vehicle is out of warranty I will just buy cheapest WS fluid I can find.  If I still was under warranty I would only use Toyota.  I am pretty convinced if you stick to name brand stuff all WS ATF are pretty equal in quality.

I definitely am not going to wait until 90k miles like Toyota recommends to service the trans.  IMO way to long of intervals especially towing.

My truck has 68k on it. My thought was do a change this weekend when it's cold and replace what I take out. Then next weekend do the same thing when it's cold. Then when I change the motor oil in 10k I'll again I do it again. Fall into a drain and fill type deal every time I change the motor oil.

I'll use WS oil. I'll just pay a few more $$$$$$$ for piece of mind.

My front and rear differentials also take 75w-85. I couldn't find any so I went with 75w-90. Everything I read 75w-90 is a suitable sub. I was shocked at how dirty the front was. Transfer case was clean as was the rear. 

Don't flush.  Just don't do it.  Maybe okay on a low mileage transmission and kept up on a very regular basis, but that's about it

Drain/fill.  Just mixing a little clean with a bunch of dirty.  Doesn't hurt but doesn't help a lot either

Fluid exchange is where it is at.  Pretty easy to do - find the hook a tube to the output of the radiator/heat exchanger that goes back to the transmission.  Place other end of tube in a bucket.  Have someone start the truck and shut it off exactly when you begin to see bubbles in the line.  Fill the transmission back up with however much you pumped out.  Do that a couple more times until all fluid is exchanged.  The truck does the work for you and is safe on the transmission.

Lots of videos show the fluid exchange like what Pra4sno said. 

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Don't flush.  Just don't do it.  Maybe okay on a low mileage transmission and kept up on a very regular basis, but that's about it

Drain/fill.  Just mixing a little clean with a bunch of dirty.  Doesn't hurt but doesn't help a lot either

Fluid exchange is where it is at.  Pretty easy to do - find the hook a tube to the output of the radiator/heat exchanger that goes back to the transmission.  Place other end of tube in a bucket.  Have someone start the truck and shut it off exactly when you begin to see bubbles in the line.  Fill the transmission back up with however much you pumped out.  Do that a couple more times until all fluid is exchanged.  The truck does the work for you and is safe on the transmission.

fluid exchange method. So you drain it from the line you disconnected and leave the truck in park and it pushes the fluid out. Then you fill what you removed into the transmission pan fill port? 

50 minutes ago, MadMan said:

Every time I've done an automatic trans fluid change I also replace the filter.   

No filter on the 05+ Toyota trucks.  Sealed transmission with a small screen over the fluid pick up that should only be clogged by organic material if you've had a significant failure somewhere.  Any metal debris if it exists sits in the depth of the pan.  Even at 75k my fluid report showed incredibly low metallic debris.  Viscosity and flash point weren't great and there was a bit of fine organic debris that was removed in the exchange.

Correct on not flushing.  Exchange fluid through the directions I posted.  If I said flush, I was using the wrong terminology but the DIYs provided are the correct way to do it.  

Drain/refill only puts new detergents in.  A full exchange actually protects the transmission with fluid that has a higher heat transfer/flash point.  

A full exchange on a 100k+ trans is still risky as its adding a LOT of new detergent and breaks deposits up too quickly.  It's recommended to do pan drops every 5k over 10-20k miles and just run it that way.  

Edited by Pra4sno
1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

Lots of videos show the fluid exchange like what Pra4sno said. 

fluid exchange method. So you drain it from the line you disconnected and leave the truck in park and it pushes the fluid out. Then you fill what you removed into the transmission pan fill port? 

Check the diy for a bit more clarity - but essentially. 

I disconnected at the trans cooler output and because I know there was 4.2qts in the pan I would turn the truck on and let it pump 3qts out into my marked bucket and then turn it off.  You just don't want to run the pump dry.

Then I topped the pan off, close it, and repeat four times or until the fluid comes out into the bucket fresh.  

Then close everything up, push the button on the dash to initiate the trans temp monitoring setting.  Turn engine on and let it run until the dash light blinks.  Turn truck off, climb under and open the trans fill port and let excess flow out. 

As soon as it levels, cap it and you're done.  

Edited by Pra4sno