Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 Diesel!

Cole2001

Looks like Ford decided to add yet another engine option to the line. 5 engine options in one model of truck, seems a little crazy to me. 

The part that sounds amazing is a suspected 30mpg, will that come true? Probably not but at least people can hope. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-full-details-news

I believe the eco diesel rams are getting close to that. With the 10 speed tranny and aluminum body they may have a shot. 

Edited by wheelman

It has been all over the news here in Michigan leading up to the large auto show in Detroit.  It will be very interesting to see how sales will be.  My gut feeling is it will do well.  :ford:

On a side note my neighbor loves his Dodge Eco-diesel.  I think it is a 2014.

The new diesel looks like it could be a win for Ford.  But depending on the upcharge I would take a hard look at an XL hybrid kit if I was still in a half ton.  They are claiming a 50 percent improvement in fuel economy and it adds over 200 ft/lbs of torque.

Its a $4k upcharge over the base engine and 2.4k more than the 3.5 ecoboost.  That can buy a lot of gas.  If you towed a lot I guess the gas savings would come quicker but for my 3 tows per year .. I would be hard pressed to buy one.  Looking at a new F150 now and already think the prices are insane (looking at upper trim levels).

9 hours ago, wheelman said:

I believe the eco diesel rams are getting close to that. With the 10 speed tranny and aluminum body they may have a shot. 

Close, like in 22 or 23 mpg? At least thats all my coworker is getting from his 14.

2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Its a $4k upcharge over the base engine and 2.4k more than the 3.5 ecoboost.  That can buy a lot of gas.  If you towed a lot I guess the gas savings would come quicker but for my 3 tows per year .. I would be hard pressed to buy one.  Looking at a new F150 now and already think the prices are insane (looking at upper trim levels).

Agreed that the money saved buys a lot of gas.  There is also inherently a bigger cost to operate with more engine oil, emissions fluid requirements, etc.  

Then again that extra 200 ft/lbs and 10 extra mpgs could go a long ways.  I tow 2 times a week at least and I still would never make my money back on the diesel, but I'm sure there are people out there who will like it alot.

9 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Agreed that the money saved buys a lot of gas.  There is also inherently a bigger cost to operate with more engine oil, emissions fluid requirements, etc.  

Then again that extra 200 ft/lbs and 10 extra mpgs could go a long ways.  I tow 2 times a week at least and I still would never make my money back on the diesel, but I'm sure there are people out there who will like it alot.

the 200ft/lbs stags79 was talking about was some hybrid kit, not the Ford Diesel.  The Diesel is good for about 10ft lbs more than the Ecoboost 3.5

29 minutes ago, RyanB said:

My brother claims 30 MPG in his EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee.  I've heard mid-upper 20's in the RAMs.  Either way, it is quite a bit better than any of the gas options.

9 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

Around here, diesel cost ~25% more than gas, takes a bite out of that savings.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

the 200ft/lbs stags79 was talking about was some hybrid kit, not the Ford Diesel.  The Diesel is good for about 10ft lbs more than the Ecoboost 3.5

Incorrect, 440 on the diesel and 470 on the 3.5 ecoboost 

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

For most of last year, diesel (at my local station) hovered around the same price as regular unleaded.  Right now I think it is about $0.20/gallon more (or about 10%).

In the Ford manual, they suggest running premium, at least when towing, with the EcoBoost.  I don't remember the last time I saw premium fuel less expensive than diesel.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Good to know - I truly don't understand what this motor option is accomplishing.  

Can't get this motor in a regular trim level either.  I could see the trades eating these up for the mileage and utility if they were offered as work trucks.  

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

Sure does.  Our diesel here is very similarly priced to 85 octane.

Edited by Pra4sno
34 minutes ago, RyanB said:

For most of last year, diesel (at my local station) hovered around the same price as regular unleaded.  Right now I think it is about $0.20/gallon more (or about 10%).

In the Ford manual, they suggest running premium, at least when towing, with the EcoBoost.  I don't remember the last time I saw premium fuel less expensive than diesel.

My Ram says 89 Octane, around here the diesel tends to be around the same price as premium, the midgrade is .20 less

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Ah.  Last time I had looked the ecoboost was around 420

2nd Gen ecoboost came out in 2017 with 10 more hp and 50 more torque. So 375hp and 470 torqe now. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:59 PM, Cole2001 said:

I don't get these emissions lawsuits.  Did the cheating of emissions impact the quality of use or performance of the vehicle they purchased?

I can see a gov't lawsuit for the emissions against Ford, but cheating emissions in no way degraded the enjoyment of the vehicle and it still achieved fuel/power ratings (presumably) that it was rated for.

People act all butt hurt because they feel they were lied to about emissions and they were out to save the environment from the start. Hence the reason they bought an 8000# truck to drive around. Erybody wants sumpin' for nutin'. Especially when a lawyer gets thier ear.

3 minutes ago, Falko said:

People act all butt hurt because they feel they were lied to about emissions and they were out to save the environment from the start. Hence the reason they bought an 8000# truck to drive around. Erybody wants sumpin' for nutin'. Especially when a lawyer gets thier ear.

Exactly......."I want money because I thought I was saving the environment". Not sure how that works, but people are delusional about what is "owed" to them. 

"Ford Motor Co. rigged at least 500,000 heavy-duty trucks to beat emissions tests, drivers claimed in a lawsuit, "

Why do drivers care what the emissions are? This is obviously a lawyer trying to get a big chunk of free money for owners. 

What seems ludicrous to me is that you buy a new truck that has a couple grand in emissions controls on it, then spend another $2000  removing them.  Sounds to me like the OEM emission controls should be optional instead of required.