Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu TXI, surfing, board???

moski

I have a 2015 Malibu Response TXI inboard boat, it does have a wedge plate.  

Need advice —�—� my 10 yr old and 8 yr old are slalom skiing, kneeboarding, and of course tubing.  
Just to add to playing around behind the boat, What size surf board (wake surf) to get for adult and also what size for kid behind the this boat?????
Same question for wakeboard.  

Extra info.  Im size is important.  We  are a slim small to average family.  I’m 5’8” and 150lbs.   Wife is slim and little shorter.  Our kids are both like 55lbs. 

I already know the size of trick ski for adult and kid.  Looking to buy if anybody selling.

Thank you in advance for advice

moski  

Edited by moski

Thank u @hethj7 for the kid surf.   I’ll check that out.   

I assume since I have a DD boat, the wake is small, I do have the wedge plate, but I assume i might need a little bit bigger board to surf????

with the big wakeboard boats, ballast tanks, that create big wakes a guy can get a away with using a small surf board.    

The surf is all new to me.  Maybe the size of surf board is not a big deal.   I’m just looking to add more toys to play behind my Response TXI besides slalom ski, barefoot, knee board, and tubing.  

Last summer, we finaly tired,  and I say tried  but it was near to impossible for a friend of mine to ride any length free, she weighs around 130 lbs, not sure of her board size, but was on the longer side. I had the  floating wedge deployed,  almost full tank of fuel, and three adults sitting in the back, the wave was still not big enough to give much push. Maybe having addtional blast bags in the back would helped. Something I may try ths summer, as we primarily Barefoot, Ski, and Wakeboard with a little Kneeboarding, surfing was something that just came up as a try last summer.

Wish you all the best, hopefully others will chime in here that have been successful behind a TXi. 

24 minutes ago, Dare2goBare said:

Last summer, we finaly tired,  and I say tried  but it was near to impossible for a friend of mine to ride any length free, she weighs around 130 lbs, not sure of her board size, but was on the longer side. I had the  floating wedge deployed,  almost full tank of fuel, and three adults sitting in the back, the wave was still not big enough to give much push. Maybe having addtional blast bags in the back would helped. Something I may try ths summer, as we primarily Barefoot, Ski, and Wakeboard with a little Kneeboarding, surfing was something that just came up as a try last summer.

Wish you all the best, hopefully others will chime in here that have been successful behind a TXi. 

How much weight did you add? 

I managed to go ropeless on a sportster with 1200 and a suc gate. Having a wedge would have helped a ton. 

When surfing a smaller wave, having a board that’s got some speed and larger surface really helps.

8 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

How much weight did you add? 

I managed to go ropeless on a sportster with 1200 and a suc gate. Having a wedge would have helped a ton. 

When surfing a smaller wave, having a board that’s got some speed and larger surface really helps.

7 hours ago, moski said:

@Dare2goBare  @Cole2001    Thank u for input.  Appreciate the advice.  I was looking to buy the Swell Wake Surf to suction cup to lower side of boat as well which I heard will help along with putting my wedge down, and adding weight.  

Cole,  I didn' add weight, just three adults in the back, one spotter, and me driving. Total of five. Wedge down , and near full tank.

Now that the two of you mention, suc gate... lol... that came up for discussion to in the BU, so im going to have to try that out this season, As I'm not keen on putting sacs into the BU, just to much stuff in the BU already. 

3 hours ago, Dare2goBare said:

Cole,  I didn' add weight, just three adults in the back, one spotter, and me driving. Total of five. Wedge down , and near full tank.

Now that the two of you mention, suc gate... lol... that came up for discussion to in the BU, so im going to have to try that out this season, As I'm not keen on putting sacs into the BU, just to much stuff in the BU already. 

Yeah direct drives have very little space. We only had a driver and a surfer and getting around the closed bow sportster was a challenge. Also when you can see the water splashing up right next to you while driving is a little scary. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey there! I've surfed a direct drive before. We had 13 people in the boat (no exaggeration). Everyone slammed to one side, 2 hanging over the side holding onto the tower. I'm 150 lbs. and I rode without the rope. To surf the TXI you need weight and/or a wake shaper. I'm a fan of the Ronix suction mount wake shaper. Easy storage (essential for a direct drive), no velcro, takes seconds to install. The Roswell Deflector does well too. As far as a board goes, bigger is better for small waves. Bigger board = more surface area = more buoyancy. You don't need a 6 foot board or anything, but I would stay around the 5 foot mark, or bigger. As far as the shape of the surfer goes, the bigger (wider) the tail, the more push you'll get. Ronix makes the PowerTail designed specifically to get more push. I couldn't recommend it enough. The Blender Powertail is a fantastic choice. Has the wide tail, has a wider nose (so you don't sink it) has 3 fins, so you can have multiple fin setups for different riding styles & riding levels. The little kids will need to learn to get up out of the water (skiiers shouldn't have too much trouble!), but once they are on top of the water, they will have no problem riding it. It will be big enough for them to move/walk up and down the board to learn how to get more speed, or slow it down. It will teach them great basic mechanics and they will only grow into it. It's big enough and easy enough to ride for your whole family. Please let me know if you have any questions. I love helping people out with this stuff. Shoot me an email [email protected]