Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter storage fire Indianapolis

That really sucks for everyone involved.  

You must be feeling lucky to have switched units.  

Edited by Pra4sno

75 boats for 1.5 million dollars...That is about $20K per boat, and doesn't include the cost of the building.   I would be very surprised if that estimate holds true.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

conflicted

Lucky to have avoided the headache but I could have come out ahead on insurance so...

Any news on what started the fire?

This is such a bummer. It happened to me a couple years ago. In early October 2015 I bought my first tow boat, a new-to-me 2010 23 LSV. Sundance Marina went up in flames the last week of February 2016. 350+ boats totally destroyed. I never got to ride behind my new boat. I was pretty devastated but 2 great things happened:

1. My wife said, "Go find us another boat." No suggestion of budget or limits which lead to me meeting @shawndoggy on a beautiful April day in Reno.

2. State Farm had a check for the full, insured value of the boat in the mail 7 days after the fire started and they waived my deductible.

Things have a way of working out but it still really sucks when you learn that something you've been dreaming about for a long time has been destroyed due to no fault of your own.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:02 PM, TallRedRider said:

75 boats for 1.5 million dollars...That is about $20K per boat, and doesn't include the cost of the building.   I would be very surprised if that estimate holds true.  

The 1.5m in damage could have just been the building as most of those places require the boat owners to carry insurance and sign waivers releasing liability, etc. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Super sub zero temps .past few wks, lots of fires in the Midwest.. furnaces running overtime, pipes freezing, fun time of year... 

I hadnt thought of this.  Must be constantly running and these warehouses are all sealed up to keep drafts out. 

Bad combo to have all those gas fumes trapped in with pilot lights and ignitors clicking.  

Edited by Pra4sno
10 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Super sub zero temps .past few wks, lots of fires in the Midwest.. furnaces running overtime, pipes freezing, fun time of year... 

But the pond hockey has been on point!

The building wasn't heated as far as I know.  It was the oldest and junkiest building on the lot but it's huge so maybe it could cost 1.5m to replace.   We had to pay $50 more per boat per winter for one of the newer, nicer buildings on the lot.  Still not climate controlled.  I was under the impression the 1.5m was the estimate for the boats but maybe not. 20k per boat average does seem low but maybe accurate.  It also could just be an off the cuff number some employee came up.   A list of the exact boats in there with owners info and the  value would take awhile to make so we probably shouldn't read into the 1.5m number too much.