Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 23 LSV or 2018 23 LSv

TWeb12

I've searched the forum but haven't found exactly what I was looking for...I'm currently looking at a left over 17 23 lsv for a really good deal (not the best colors for resale) but wondering if the 18 offers that many more benefits for the extra $20-30k?  I would build and order an 18 so i could design it how i want but can't decide if the additional money is worth it.  NOTE... I do like to upgrade quite often, so resale value is very important to me.

My main question...is the extra 20-30k worth it because of resale (new hull design and features)?

Thanks!

Only you will be able to answer that.   I know it is winter, but have you had a chance to demo either?    I have not been in the 2018, but it gets good reviews here.  If resale is important to you, getting the '17 in a color scheme that may not flip easily is a consideration, and buying the last year of a hull run.    In 2-3 years, you'd be competing against leftover '18s with the new hull, so it may put the '17 at a disadvantage.   A 20-30K disadvantage though?  Doubtful.   The '18 may also turn out to be a bit of an odd year too, being the last of year of the Ford engine as Malibu goes to their own GM power plant in 2019.  

The hull on the '14-'17 was great and many of us have run it with great results.  I bet for for resale, you'd come out ahead on the leftover '17. 

I just bought a 2018, and I shopped for a 2017 and could not save even 10,000 let alone 20-30. I could find a new 2018 23 lsv for as low as 114,000. well equipt. The lowest priced 2017's in my area where around 110,000. If you dropped the fancy trailer and metallic paint you should be able to build one for under 110,000. I don't believe you can find a 2017 for 80-90k.

There shouldn't be $20-30k difference between a 17 and an 18 if comparing apples to apples. You could get there with flake, engine upgrade, G4, stereo, blinged out trailer, and ect. 

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!  I have not had the chance to demo either yet and probably won't get that chance because of winter.  Yes, the 17 is a smokin deal and I can probably get a really good deal on a 18 as well.  It might be closer to 10-15k difference.  @hethj7 i agree with you on the 18 being a weird year as next they are switching to the GM motor.  I sold my boat last fall and am now in a position i need one for the summer so trying to make the best call.  I'll probably sell next fall and upgrade to a 19.

@SBriscoe  Did you demo the 17 and 18 before you bought the 18?  Did you see much difference in the surf wake?  We surf 85% of the time...we do also ski quite a bit but can figure that one out later.

The 18 does have a better surf wave. I had a 17 23LSV before my current boat, so I have been behind both the 17 and 18. I prefer the 18 wave, plus all the other upgrades they gave the 18 is worth it in my opinion. @ConnollyCrew has had both boats and I know he prefers the 18 wave as well. His used 18 is up for sale if you are looking for a good deal on an 18.  

Edited by wbama387
  • Like 2

I agree, the ‘18 wave is definitely better in my experience. A comparable ‘17 wave is going to take a lot more weight to be similar, and would then need a bow or walkway bag to keep the bow down.

I know the ‘19s will have the BU GM engines but also don’t think that will hurt the ‘18s much since the current engines are already proven in the ‘16 and ‘17s, and ‘18 has the redesigned hull. Any transmission and prop changes that go along with the new engines in ‘19 could be a pretty cool combo but even then you’re looking at the ‘18 being the best used 23 LSV model on the market for awhile with the redesign.

Not to knock the ‘17s as they’re great boats, I just don’t think the last year of the raptors in the ‘18s will be that big a deal. Some may even prefer it.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, wbama387 said:

The 18 does have a better surf wave. I had a 17 23LSV before my current boat, so I have been behind both the 17 and 18. I prefer the 18 wave, plus all the other upgrades they gave the 18 is worth it in my opinion. @ConnollyCrew has had both boats and I know he prefers the 18 wave as well. His used 18 is up for sale if you are looking for a good deal on an 18.  

I have been behind the 17 Lsv. When we traded our Vlx in I thought the wave was significantly better on the 18 lsv. Having a choice of both we went with the 18 lsv. I agree with the above the features on the 18 are nice as well. 

On 1/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, NWBU said:

I agree, the ‘18 wave is definitely better in my experience. A comparable ‘17 wave is going to take a lot more weight to be similar, and would then need a bow or walkway bag to keep the bow down.

I know the ‘19s will have the BU GM engines but also don’t think that will hurt the ‘18s much since the current engines are already proven in the ‘16 and ‘17s, and ‘18 has the redesigned hull. Any transmission and prop changes that go along with the new engines in ‘19 could be a pretty cool combo but even then you’re looking at the ‘18 being the best used 23 LSV model on the market for awhile with the redesign.

Not to knock the ‘17s as they’re great boats, I just don’t think the last year of the raptors in the ‘18s will be that big a deal. Some may even prefer it.

Connelly uses a massive bow bag to improve his regular side wave , I surfed his boat, he claims good enough with out it but not up to his  desire based in buying a new boat snd spending more