Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My new 2015 Malibu Response TXI

moski

ahopkins22LSV

Since your boat was used for pro tournaments it should be dialed in. Although if you ski with just two people at times it’s worth picking up 150lb of lead because then you can offset the driver. With just a driver we run 50 in the port bow storage, and 100 under the observers seat.  Then if we have 3 people we run 50 under each seat in the bow. It’s not necessary but it does change how the boat performs. Tracks and skis even better if you can believe that :) 

Great looking boat!

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Since your boat was used for pro tournaments it should be dialed in. Although if you ski with just two people at times it’s worth picking up 150lb of lead because then you can offset the driver. With just a driver we run 50 in the port bow storage, and 100 under the observers seat.  Then if we have 3 people we run 50 under each seat in the bow. It’s not necessary but it does change how the boat performs. Tracks and skis even better if you can believe that :) 

ahopkins - any idea if this would apply to the '03-'06 LXi as well?  

Edited by powbmps

Congrats! -  i can recommend Awesome cleaner (mix it 5:1 or 10:1 depending on level of dirt) - this is for cleaning the seats.  Rinse well with water.   Then protect with 303 Protectant.

as for the gel coat a good wax and then hit it with Hot Sauce after you use the boat and it will stay very nice :) 

as for the guides - i got 36" size for my boat - from this guy:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-CAPPED-Trailer-Guide-Pads-Black-2-3-8/192205671046?hash=item2cc059ca86:g:aPgAAOxyj4hTJea-      he had several colors and styles (closed or open ends, etc)

I'd hit that carpet with a power washer.  Should get the brown out of it and make it look new again.

I like Boat Bling Hot Sauce for the wipe down and use their Quickie Sauce for wax, as it is super easy to apply/remove.  Don't fall for the sales price of the Babes Boat Bright you will see everywhere - yes, it is cheap but doesn't work.

Interior wise, I use Boat Bling Vinyl sauce - it's okay but I've never been overly impressed with it.

@powbmps  I would contact Dennis Kelly.  Dennis has been with Malibu for ever and his wife is a world class skier.   He dialed our "05" RLXI in at the factory, (dealer had it set up as a promo boat).

3 50lb bags is just about the norm for DD.  I have one under the observers seat, one in the locker and the other gets moved around.   

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, powbmps said:

Great looking boat!

ahopkins - any idea if this would apply to the '03-'06 LXi as well?  

Yes I would imagine it would. Typically any weight you can shift forward will improve the wake. And having a level boat is always better. 

@ahopkinsTXi    Yep the boat is already dialed in since this was Dennis Kelly own boat then after awhile went to Tommy Newman.   Thank u for advice @ahopkinsTXi .   Tommy had shown me where he put his weight bags when I went to ski behind it.   Also he gave me good advice after each set.  Little free ski lesson which I need.  But I’m just an average guy that only skis in summer.   Each summer aiming to get better.  

Since mine is in storage.  What’s the height, width, and length of the bow walkway???  

I have the bow filler cushion and thought about using underneath that to hide like a Yeti flip or hopper cooler.  

Edited by moski
  • Like 1

Congrats Man! :cheers:  Very nice color scheme. 

Your going to love your new Tug, yes theses baby' handle and perform like a Sports car, and the 6ltr gives you the added SNAP. :yahoo:

1 hour ago, moski said:

@ahopkinsTXi    Yep the boat is already dialed in since this was Dennis Kelly own boat then after awhile went to Tommy Newman.   Thank u for advice @ahopkinsTXi .   Tommy had shown me where he put his weight bags when I went to ski behind it.   Also he gave me good advice after each set.  Little free ski lesson which I need.  But I’m just an average guy that only skis in summer.   Each summer aiming to get better.  

Since mine is in storage.  What’s the height, width, and length of the bow walkway???  

I have the bow filler cushion and thought about using underneath that to hide like a Yeti flip or hopper cooler.  

Congrats, she's a beautiful looking boat!

I've got an 06 and the height underneath the bow cushion (with the cushion installed)  in would not allow a cooler to fit....its pretty short, maybe 8 ".  Thought, I always keep that cushion out of the boat.

@moski:  Nice purchase, you will appreciate grabbing a dialed in tourney boat, people don't realize the level of fine tuning to get them to perform as they do and those guys are the best.  Having weights handy to maintain a level platform is a good plan, most tourney boats tend to list when loaded differently so balancing them out is helpful to keep the wake symmetrical.  Malibu's in my experience are very good and tend to list less than others.  Fore aft balance also makes a difference so play with that.   You might have to adjust as that boat will be set up for tourney judges and your loading may end up being different.

Oh and by the way, if you ski with a lot of other friends, expect to be pouring gas in your tank as it will probably become the most popular ski boat...

@powbmps:  to answer your question, yes.  My buddies Gen 1 LXI would benefit from balancing the weight but an LXI is less prone than the CC200 I also ski behind.

Food for thought - when my driver situation changed, I now use slightly more ballasted 'driver units' to drag me around, to compensate a bit I moved my battery to the gunnel from against the inner wall which helped and then requires less additional ballast.  Seems harder to convince the dog to sit against the gunnel rather than become the hood ornament while in motion, the price we pay for our furry friends enjoyment.

Edited by Woodski

This forum is great, the comradery and knowledge. 👍.   

@Sixball  I won’t do this boat justice.  Ive never really had ski lessons. Grew up skiing behind IO boat. Then hadn’t ski for awhile (parent divorce). I got my 1997 Prostar 205 in 2012 and working out bad habits from the IO.   I’ve skied at 30mph and did 15 off and hit 2 at 22 off.  I’ll take any and all advice.  I was told to put it 32 mph and go from there.   I have the Orbit ski doc which is awesome.  I’m 40 yrs old, I’m 5’8” and weigh 150lbs.   I ski on an old 1996 HO Mach 1 and its 65”.  

@Woodski   Thank u.  I won’t do this boat justice as far as my ski level (u can see what my speed and line length just above). Lol.  

My kids think I’m awesome   But I told they will be ALOT better then me if they want to.  Starting off behind a DD like they are vs an IO like I did.   Slice thru wake DD wake vs jumping that IO wake.  My daughter is 10 and been slaloming since 9.   My son is 8 yrs old and started slaloming last year.  I called up April Coble and gave me great advice and my son came right up on slalom (wish I had that advice for my daughter back then).   I was trying to figure out which foot goes in front for my son since he is left dominant while me, my wife, daughter are all left foot forward and right handed dominant.  She said don’t even drop a ski, when kids are that young, give them the biggest combo ski and leave other foot hanging. If ski is on left and very wobbly as they come up then switch and out ski on right foot and see if less wobbly My son liked it on right foot and came right up.   

Ski school 1 1/2 hours away.  Ski camp for kids.  I’m gonna send them there to get correct slalom technique, also learn about trick skiing, wakeboard, etc...  Last time I asked they did not do adults but I’m gonna ask again hopefully they will change that.  

Beautiful boat!

Take it from a 60 yr old that was in your shoes at 40 - find a place to take a series of lessons once you are in "ski shape", and have them help you get on a new ski as well. I ski much better at 60 than I did at 40 and I was skiing for 20 years previous to that.  New ski technology makes a huge difference!

Do you have access to a course for your daily skiing?

@Rednucleus   Unfortunately I don’t have access daily ski course.  Yeah I need new ski.  That’s what striving for, Tommy is in late 50’s and he was awesome to watch.  So smooth, just awesome.   

I’m in sales so I network well.   I weant to ski tournament this past fall near St. Louis but on the IL side (junior USA team vs Junior Canada team).   They said once my kids get more involved (which they do) like go to this summer week long camp and also go watch a few local ski tournaments then things will happen.  They said people want this sport to grow and for it to grow got to help each other and the kids.  a few private ski lakes around the St. Louis and IL area, need to make friends with them.  

I Had talked with a ski guy and he told me to take my ski with me when I travel around Midwest and south with my sales job and I can get some ski sets in in some ski schools. 

@moski, if you ever make it up to the Chicago area (actually an hour SW of Chicago) bring your ski, I'd be glad to give ya a pull thru the course and a lesson or two.   

Congrats!

I’m no pro skier but a spend a bunch of time on a ski Nautique that has been used for comps and puts out some great skiers and it’s awesome how it’s dialed in. 

Course or not you can work on basics. Starting on an old ski is not a big issue but new skis have advanced significantly. Run you old ski for a short time get a good feeling on it. If you do look at new equipment many skis can be very forgiving so don't go to aggressive first thing.  As for your son or anyone the way we pick the front foot. Stand the person in front of you facing away don't say anything but give them a lite push foreword and see witch foot steps out first. That is consider your dominant foot. your body position is a very big start to good skiing.  I did,t get back into water skiing till I was in my mid 40's. I am 66 now and skiing better then I ever have. We do not have a course on our lake anymore but it won't stop you from improving. The thing is when you think you are good A course will humble anyone. It adds a new dimension you can not practices, Timing!  Have fun let the kids advance at a pace they enjoy.

Congratulations. You got The Boat !  If you're really into refining the slalom wake, as you move the mobile weight around, you can instantly see the wake change. You'll instantly also notice the steering free up. Then your skiers ski personal bests !  Thrill to drive.

Enjoy !

Steve B.