Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to install ballast pumps

ecj

Hi all, looking to tap into your collective expertise. I am finally installing reversible pumps for my 2 750# ski locker fat sacs. Tired of throwing the portable pump overboard!

My question is where have people found to be good place to mount the pumps, timers and thru hulls? Each bag will have its own 1" thru hull and pump.

Boat is a 99 Sunsetter VLX.

If you have room, on the sidewall of the center rear seat on each side of the vdrive.  I mounted 3 in that area on a cross bar above the vdrive but I understand that the older boats may not have quite as much clearance above it.  

804B0292-4446-4028-8DCC-53C26622234D.jpeg

I've got all 3 under the port rear corner seat as they share one 1-1/4 thru hull.  Just bolted through the seat support wall.  Different levels to accommodate the hoses.  It's an easy place especially if you don't have to pack every inch with gear etc on your outings.

3 hours ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

If you have room, on the sidewall of the center rear seat on each side of the vdrive.  I mounted 3 in that area on a cross bar above the vdrive but I understand that the older boats may not have quite as much clearance above it.  

804B0292-4446-4028-8DCC-53C26622234D.jpeg

Since you actually used the ID portion of the threaded in-out fill ports, does it seem slower? I usually see the hose over in-out. Seems like it would choke it off a little bit more.

2 hours ago, Choiceind said:

Since you actually used the ID portion of the threaded in-out fill ports, does it seem slower? I usually see the hose over in-out. Seems like it would choke it off a little bit more.

My rear 750s fill in about 7 minutes and the 1000lb front sac fills in about 10-11 minutes.  each has dedicated pump and my starboard does fill fastest as it has the 1 inch fill whereas the other two have 3/4 inch inlets.  I was too lazy to drill extra holes and just used the 3/4 inch drains with the “T” handles.  Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, NWBU said:

I have the pumps on the sides of the v-drive and the thru-hulls are similar to Kojak’s.

F2149CF5-5FE1-48E3-BD8E-5CED8667CC66.jpeg

4225CBCD-1847-471B-A6C5-F3CDE08A22CB.jpeg

B062A6FA-F0DC-4663-83BB-6887D1F17FDF.jpeg

I put my pumps on the same spot either side of the v-drive  and mounted the relays up near the pop up pylon so no risk of water impacting. Switches are down by the kill switch