Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gph Comparison

hunter77ah

isn't a supercharged motor always going to be less efficient at part throttle tho?  I'm not an engineer but I have always thought that the supercharger's constant drag on the crankshaft is less efficient.  

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

The fuel used at a specific MPH is the important number here.  Fuel used at an RPM can vary significantly with engine loading.  The fuel used at 4000 rpm in neutral will be vastly different that that at wide open throttle fully ballasted.

I’m with MadMan on this one. Water sports are about getting to a given speed, e.g. 11 for surfing, 21 for wakeboarding, 28 for cruising, or 34 for skiing.  As the captain of the boat, the RPM is a secondary piece of information, maybe an annoyance factor if it’s running higher than I’d like. Regardless of RPM I’m going to get to the speed I need to be at for the rider. That’s why I look at those charts and line up the speed. At 28 mph (ie cruising speed), the Malibu is using 9.4 GPH while the Centurion is using 12.2 GPH. 

I think what @shawndoggy is saying is that gearing and prop choice can affect RPM and fuel usage at a given speed. I would agree with that. But notice that the 25 LSV in the test is not exactly optimized for the test; it’s running a 15” prop meaning it’s a 2016 or it’s a typo. Assuming it’s not a typo, I would argue that the 2017+ 25 LSV with the 17” prop will be even more efficient (ie leas prop slippage therefore less throttle needed at any given speed). 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I would have thought 17" prop would have made huge difference also.  They don't have data for 25 LSV, but do for 24 MXZ.   So for what it's worth...

https://www.boatingmag.com/malibu-wakesetter-24-mxz-0

I would think the larger prop would help mainly when you are heavily loading it, like 11mph full ballast.  Cruising on plane, the prop is lightly loaded so it wouldn't make much difference.

I would say larger prop less pitch more efficient when loaded smaller prop higher pitch when cruising..  finding the mix and Ballance on your setup and what u do is the challenge. Go to far for one thing and u kill the other.. I cruise more than I surf so I'm planning to pitch up a tad since I can't go larger.. 

I wear this shirt when boating anyhow

front.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
  • 1 year later...