Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Malibu response lx no start

Hi I just bought this boat about a month ago took it out on the water before I bought it everything works good except the steering cable needed to be replaced but has nothing to do with my issue right now. So second time I take it out the starter starts to click (not turning over the motor or  engaging) when I turn the key. I just got a  repeated clicks and than it would work. Ok so I thought starter  solenoid but on this boat it's only on the starter so I went out and bought a $250  marine starter and when I took off the old starter it has an issue with the ground so I though that was my problem(wrong) put new starter in and all I get is a click won't start the motor at all. I can jump the starter solenoid starts the motor no problem. Already tested the ignition just get a click same as turning the key. So I'm lost on what to check next any info would be helpful 

thanks 

1 minute ago, edwin said:

battery

Posted while I was posting, haha.  

Sounds like not enough cranking amps.  Mine did this when it had been run down from an accessory left on.  Would show voltage on a multimeter after trickle charging but the CCAs weren't skookem.

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

skookem?  Is this some new word the cool kids are using that I don't understand?   :)

cc8e82fcea80c2cb427b11b8c3dea926796546c7

The cool kids will never be cool enough for skookem.

First time out last year. My cousins did the same thing 1994 Reponse . And I do mean the exact same thing. Starter and jumping the solenoid. After all was said and done......... I wiggled the shifter. It wasn't in nuetral. :cry::whistle::):):biggrin: Might be worth a try. I hope it is that easy for you as well. 

Edited by Sparky450

First step: disconnect all the wires at the batteries, starter, and starter solenoid (BOTH red and black) and clean all terminals with a wire brush.  Reinstall.

All the main wires are new because the   Stereo was installed a year ago I can try cleaning them but I doubt that's the problem also I made sure it was in  neutral  this has been a  progressing problem just gets worse every time I try and start the boat with the key it's like it takes more clicks before it finally turns over the motor 

On 1/4/2018 at 2:11 AM, Tate said:

Hi I just bought this boat about a month ago took it out on the water before I bought it everything works good except the steering cable needed to be replaced but has nothing to do with my issue right now. So second time I take it out the starter starts to click (not turning over the motor or  engaging) when I turn the key. I just got a  repeated clicks and than it would work. Ok so I thought starter  solenoid but on this boat it's only on the starter so I went out and bought a $250  marine starter and when I took off the old starter it has an issue with the ground so I though that was my problem(wrong) put new starter in and all I get is a click won't start the motor at all. I can jump the starter solenoid starts the motor no problem. Already tested the ignition just get a click same as turning the key. So I'm lost on what to check next any info would be helpful 

thanks 

What is the issue with the ground?

On 1/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tate said:

I can jump the  Solenoid no problem and turns over no issues starts right up 

Are you jumping from the starting battery on the boat or from a different battery?

2 hours ago, Tate said:

All the main wires are new because the   Stereo was installed a year ago I can try cleaning them but I doubt that's the problem also I made sure it was in  neutral  this has been a  progressing problem just gets worse every time I try and start the boat with the key it's like it takes more clicks before it finally turns over the motor 

I understand your doubts but it costs zero dollars, takes only a few minutes, and removes arguably the most common reason for low voltage besides a dead battery.  The outsides of the wires and terminals can look perfectly clean when the area of contact has hidden corrosion that impedes current.  When your wires were replaced, did they also replace the wiring from the battery all the way to the starter?  Ironically, this could be the reason for your troubles... either way, it sounds like it's been at least a year since those terminals were inspected and/or cleaned.  It may be a simple matter or re-tightening the nut due to poor installation.  The fact that it is getting worse and that a new starter didn't change anything tells me it's either a loose connection or corrosion somewhere in the circuit.

I'm jumping the  Solenoid on the starter which complete the  Circuit which the key should be doing but it doesn't. So the issue with the ground on the old starter was the stud on the starter was striped so the gound wasn't tight at all and I couldn't even get the bolt off the gound I almost had to cut the gound wire but I eventually got it off but that's fixed now because I have a new starter and new starter solenoid. And about the wires going to the starter I believe we're never replaced I haven't really had time to work on it so I'll pull all the battery's off and clean the connections and have the battery's tested there might be a dying battery but they all seem healthy and hold charges over this last month I've had it. I have a buddy that had this same boat and he said he had this same problem he said it was some wire that goes from the computer to the wiring harness in the back and it had basically got cut in half and he butt connected it back together and it was all good but I can never get him over to help and tell me where and what wire to check I don't wanna just go tearing in to the wiring harness and f*** something up I'm probably in over my head already lol 

Lots of folks have solved small issues by just cleaning the connections at the cannon plug. It's a quick break apart connection between the engine and the dash mostly.

Either way, it comes apart easily and then you can spray contact cleaner on the connections. But, I have a feeling your issue is simply the neutral safety switch thinks its in gear, and wont allow the starter to get juice. Common issue. All you do is wiggle the throttle in neutral as you turn the key. Very slightly. As the throttle and tranny cable assembly gets older they can get slightly out of sync and it seems like the throttle lever is in neutral, but the cable is telling the tranny it's slightly in gear. Which wont allow starter to go.

Steve B.

28 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Lots of folks have solved small issues by just cleaning the connections at the cannon plug. It's a quick break apart connection between the engine and the dash mostly.

Either way, it comes apart easily and then you can spray contact cleaner on the connections. But, I have a feeling your issue is simply the neutral safety switch thinks its in gear, and wont allow the starter to get juice. Common issue. All you do is wiggle the throttle in neutral as you turn the key. Very slightly. As the throttle and tranny cable assembly gets older they can get slightly out of sync and it seems like the throttle lever is in neutral, but the cable is telling the tranny it's slightly in gear. Which wont allow starter to go.

Steve B.

I'll check out that cannon plug. First thing I didn't was play around with the neutral safety switch moving it back and forth all I get is a click. I just took the battery's out and took them to get charged and tested. They are a bit older than I thought so hopefully they are not shot. They seem to hold a charge but there might be 1 dead one that's not helping my issue. 1 question I would have against the neutral safety switch would be that would I get a click out of the starter like it's trying to engage but won't. With the neutral safety switch bad I wouldn't get any sounds right? 

You shouldn't get any action (solenoid clicking) from the starter if the neutral safety switch thinks it's not in neutral. 

Tate, if you don't have a copy of the "No Start Troubleshooting Guide" you need one.  Mine is slightly modified with more info...here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwzdf3dwp5cbshe/005 No Start Troubleshooting revised.docx?dl=0

Edited by formulaben
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, formulaben said:

You shouldn't get any action (solenoid clicking) from the starter if the neutral safety switch thinks it's not in neutral. 

Tate, if you don't have a copy of the "No Start Troubleshooting Guide" you need one.  Mine is slightly modified with more info...here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv4jk8u3dxdvau9/005 No Start Troubleshooting revised.docx?dl=0

Tired clicking on that link but it takes me to nothing 

14 hours ago, formulaben said:

The 94' that I worked on did click. I also thought, if the neutral switch was bad, you shouldn't get anything.  I thought it was a bad solenoid. That is why we did the starter. I felt bad, as it was on my advice, he purchased a new starter. :blush:

17 hours ago, Steve B. said:

All you do is wiggle the throttle in neutral as you turn the key. Very slightly.

When I jumped in the drivers seat, I reached for the key with my left hand and instinctively reached for the shifter with my right hand. Gave it a wiggle!!

Boom! It started right up.:)  

Edited by Sparky450
18 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

The 94' that I worked on did click. I also thought, if the neutral switch was bad, you shouldn't get anything.  I thought it was a bad solenoid. That is why we did the starter. I felt bad, as it was on my advice, he purchased a new starter. :blush:

When I jumped in the drivers seat, I reached for the key with my left hand and instinctively reached for the shifter with my right hand. Gave it a wiggle!!

Boom! It started right up.:)  

Yes, bad neutral switch OR not in neutral and you'll get nothing.  So looks like you found your culprit?

On 1/7/2018 at 2:58 PM, Steve B. said:

Up date I got 3 new battery's clean ever connection replaced the  starter solenoid on the back side of the motor and now when I turn the key I get nothing at all no click nothing. I tried jumping the starter solenoid on the back side of the motor and I get nothing. I can still jump the starter solenoid on the starter and start the motor. I've tried messing around with the kill switch and neutral safety switch but still get nothing. Not sure what to check next. Also I jumped the ignition switch and I still get nothing