Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Correct Spare Tire Size

CharlieBeaU

I just purchased a spare tire for my 2017 Malibu Trailer. I had to do a little digging to find the matching size (diameter) so I thought I'd post it here.

My trailer came from the factory with the 18"x9" Malibu XD Series wheels and Ohtsu ST5000 255/55 R18 tires. This tire, when properly inflated, has an overall diameter of 29" so I wanted to get a spare that matched the same overall diameter.

I purchased a 15" black steel trailer wheel (0 Offset) with a 235/75 R15 tire on it (pics below). This tire is 28.9" in diameter so it's almost a perfect match to the factory tire on the 18" wheels.

As a note, I did call Malibu and they confirmed that a 14" wheel would work as well but I'm unsure of the correct tire size to match the tire diameter from the factory. I had already ordered this 15" wheel when I got their response so I just stuck with it.

y4mhX1j0Tbn1dPHRIQvwldPM5y2RO6eCWOy7IHe3

y4mZdGteq9kqYCSCOzn_Dissx9DuTjjUSUlsXVo1

y4mYxa-CMbi_vayvWyCalMaohl7xu60_QZoprbPt

Have you tried installing that tire on the trailer?  That is the main thing to try to make sure that rim offset and tire width do not cause an issue with the fenders.

A test fit now saves surprises later

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Have you tried installing that tire on the trailer?  That is the main thing to try to make sure that rim offset and tire width do not cause an issue with the fenders.

I haven't yet but that's a very good suggestion. All my math says it should fit perfectly but lord knows I don't want to just rely on "my math". I'll test fit when I can and report back.

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, oldjeep said:

Yes, I finally did. Here are the pics. I think it fits nearly perfect.

y4mdph8b9gOOfxuly1iveQTUIYG23IlH5-IkAZ8P

y4mOXOIQNA9eULpKRm_OptwX1Wbs26Dq0GfEcc5M

y4mzS1u9l3fzTc1ilNKUIBezt5wKFHFC8sArh1c1

You know that point on a Sunday afternoon when you're done with chores and the final one just doesn't quite work? You find a way and agree to tackle it "tomorrow". Still not sure what I did wrong here mounting the spare to the underside of the trailer but I found a way to make it work, made it home and I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. Of course I used the Husky box end wrenches for this because no one would treat their Craftsman wrenches this way.

y4mCRnj_mB6wNcCEkGQvSF4OcPiBjzBnoSjJ5paN

8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I was wondering why you didn't get spare to match the rest of the wheels until I saw where it mounts - doesn't really need to be matching there.

It's pretty tucked away up underneath the boat. I love that spot. It's a cool feature on the Malibu trailers.

• 10 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 1:02 AM, CharlieBeaU said:

It's pretty tucked away up underneath the boat. I love that spot. It's a cool feature on the Malibu trailers.

Sorry to dust off an older thread but where is this spare mounted?  I'm assuming the spare tire mount is an option?  I only trailer my boat .8 miles a year so don't really need one but curious if anyone has a picture of this without the boat on the trailer.

9 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Sorry to dust off an older thread but where is this spare mounted?  I'm assuming the spare tire mount is an option?  I only trailer my boat .8 miles a year so don't really need one but curious if anyone has a picture of this without the boat on the trailer.

Guess it depends on the option you check or who makes the trailer.  Every factory spare mount I've seen on a Boatmate trailer was on the tongue where mine is.   The under mounts I've seen are typically up towards the bow of the boat.

Edited by oldjeep

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

How difficult is it to get the under mounted spare off and out from under when one of main tires is flat?

My '01 Extreme has the under-mount spare and I was able to access it without difficulty when I had a blowout on that side of the trailer. Might be a different story if it were a single axle trailer,  but you would be lifting the trailer with a jack anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 6:14 AM, pauley71 said:

Sorry for the delayed response...

It's tucked up under the trailer on the passenger side right in front of the front tire.

I love the position. It is completely out of the way.

The boat is in winter storage so tough to get a pic. Hopefully you can picture what I'm describing.

• 8 months later...

Based on this thread's recommendation I did a similar thing for my 2017 20 VTX Malibu trailer with ST215/75/14 tires.  Found this on Amazon.  14 Inch Black Modular Trailer Wheel with Radial St205 75 R14 8 Ply Tire Mounted 5 on 4.5 Bolt Circle.  Wheel/tire and holder for ~$100.

I finally after4 years bought my matching spare from Boatmate. It was the polished aluminum face 5 spoke mag with black paint And polished aluminum around rim lip

was pretty cheap including shipping from Boatmate 

this year a friend tried same at Boatmate and they no longer make or stock it

glad I finally wanted to look good for a lake trip last year and bought it or I wouldn’t have one

big deal if I ever damage one in the ground 

1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

this year a friend tried same at Boatmate and they no longer make or stock it

Is it really a bespoke rim?  Or someone else makes it and Boatmate simply no longer sells it?

59 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Is it really a bespoke rim?  Or someone else makes it and Boatmate simply no longer sells it?

Don’t know, for me snd him it was Boatmate stocking it or not