Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Starts with a Bang... Dash is destroyed 08 V-ride

TC_2006_VLX

I will start with patience is not my strongest character trait. Instead of waiting for an extra hand when lowering the tower on a buddies 2008 V-ride I figured I have done this 100+ times what could go wrong. Turns out when its -5 the resistance cables on an illusion X tower arent as resistant... and its came screaming down on his dash. Fortunately, he is a good friend and laughed it off, but any idea where you can get a replacement/how hard is it to swap out? 

IMG_5414[1].JPG

IMG_5415[1].JPG

It doesn't look like great lakes skipper has any of those dash assemblies, but they do have the gauge panel.  I think that you are looking at doing a plastic weld repair and then upholstering the dash with vinyl to cover the repair.  Locally I'd talk to C&E upholstery for the vinyl wrap once the plastic repair is done.

This is what I have used to repair a couple of ski box type carriers (Yakima/Thule) and should work on the dash, you are going to need a couple kits and repair from inside and out for strength which means first removing that whole dash assembly.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex®-Plastic-Tank-Repair-Kit/dp/B0007TQWM4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514994779&sr=1-1&keywords=permatex+tank+repair

Edited by oldjeep

Maybe contact the factory and ask if they have old parts or tooling.  Except for repairing the under-structure with Permatex, as @oldjeep said, or epoxy, and then all new vinyl - plus instruments as needed - I can't think of anything.  In fact, I'm not sure if the top under-structure (under the black vinyl) can be separated from the bottom (under the brown vinyl).

I think someone posted on a place to get instrument glass for that era gauges?

Is the chrome flaked off the dash too?  Bead blast and power coat.

Bummer...

6 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Except for repairing the under-structure with Permatex, as @oldjeep said, or epoxy,

Just as a point of clarification - the permatex kit is a black 2 part epoxy and some fiberglass cloth, not a traditional permatex gasket type sealer.

i had that dash on my '08 vlx.

When i had it in for some warranty work i talked them into selling me the new style dash with the touchscreen (forget what they called it). I would try that route or i have the exact dash as the one in your picture that got destroyed (from when they put in the touchscreen). I would not sell just the dash though, I would sell the whole thing including viper box etc.

have you called insurance?

Havent called insurance yet... was going to get the tribes input/guidance before escalating it to far.

The reason we were moving it into the heated shed was to do the dash gauge clean up and powder coat it... didnt work out quite as we had planned.

1 minute ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Havent called insurance yet... was going to get the tribes input/guidance before escalating it to far.

The reason we were moving it into the heated shed was to do the dash gauge clean up and powder coat it... didnt work out quite as we had planned.

Yeah, the insurance angle might hurt a bit unless he has some really low deductibles.  For me, I could fix that for a whole lot less than my 1K deduct

11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, the insurance angle might hurt a bit unless he has some really low deductibles.  For me, I could fix that for a whole lot less than my 1K deduct

Thats kind of where we are at as well...

Ugh, and you can quote me on that. 

Not sure of the clearance you will be working with but I used a fibreglass repair kit on the backside of the helm panel. 

It really acted good and stiffened it up nice.

Good luck w it and you owe your buddie a hug.

What did he have on the tower that made it so heavy?  I would not think that cold would have any effect on the metal springs on the Illusion cables.  It would just make whatever it hit more brittle.

That being said, my springs are as tight as they'll go and the tower still rests against the dash when it's down even though there's only two racks on the low mounts and nothing else on the tower.  Anyone have a way to tighten it?

He had 4 tower speakers, bimini top, and 2 swivel board racks. Thats said its one of the more loaded towers I have seen, but still we are just lucky no one was standing below it!

Has anyone had any experience removing the dash? All pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

start w the two screws holding the alu. malibu logo on then iirc there is one more at the top then the gauge panel will pull out.

no clue after that.  take a few pix along the way to help out the next guy?

good luck w it.

Good new is I can get a brand new from Factory piece shipped to our door for $300. Bad news is there are only 2 left in the entire world so if you need one beware! 

3 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Good new is I can get a brand new from Factory piece shipped to our door for $300. Bad news is there are only 2 left in the entire world so if you need one beware! 

Make a fiberglass mold and jack up the price! 

9 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Has anyone had any experience removing the dash? All pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

Take this with a grain of salt, as was on my boat and YMMV, but as @tvano said, remove the 2 screws on the logo (and mine also has 1 up at the top) and the instrument panel should come loose.  This will allow you to disconnect the instruments and remove.  The adjacent trim with netting/speaker or whatever on the side of the helm pass-thru needs to come off to remove 3 or 4 screws that secure the dash cover (damaged part.)  There could be something underneath, but not completely sure about the other side...what I do know is there were no screw/bolts under the windshield on mine, so that might be helpful.

I will well document the process and post a how to for future dumb @sses like me that need bailed out ha

What thought was crazy is that MN Inboard wanted 320+100 for shipping for the part. In comparison, I ordered the part from Bakes and its $250+50 of shipping! Both are coming from the factory.... Big shout out to Bakes as those guys are rockstars on stocking and supporting older Malibu parts. Their customer service has always impressed me. If only they were closer to me....

Edited by TC_2006_VLX
  • Like 2
On 1/5/2018 at 11:21 AM, TC_2006_VLX said:

I will well document the process and post a how to for future dumb @sses like me that need bailed out ha

What thought was crazy is that MN Inboard wanted 320+100 for shipping for the part. In comparison, I ordered the part from Bakes and its $250+50 of shipping! Both are coming from the factory.... Big shout out to Bakes as those guys are rockstars on stocking and supporting older Malibu parts. Their customer service has always impressed me. If only they were closer to me....

+1 for Bakes. Every time I try to get something from my dealer its a way bigger price difference than that.