Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

250/2500 level tow rig for +/- 30k (now increased budget)

sunvalleylaw

Yeah, nice to get the new set of tires thrown in as well.  The guy who inspected it said it was a very, very clean truck.  No sign that it has ever seen mud, and that it has been a highway truck.  The bed looks like no-one has ever put anything in it.  The tire thing was fine.  Probably just not rotating enough.  But will have my local Les Schwab guys who I know look at that to see what they think in terms of toe in, etc.  I am sure they have seen tire wear on a Dodge truck before.  The motor mount on the retractable running board on the passenger side was loose and had to be tightened up.  But that was about it.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Congrats as well, great job doing and sharing your homework. bet this thread helps other crew down the line..

Gonna have to post a couple more pics.  I have a couple of the interior I took yesterday I will upload as soon as they are uploaded to the computer, then will HAVE to post a couple more new truck day pics.  I can't help it!  A little too excited.  ;)

EDIT: @alpensurf23   A buddy of mine made the suggestion that we load up our campers on our trucks and head over to Targhee.  I might have to see if I can get that done this spring!  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 1

@sunvalleylaw and if not this spring we have two awesome music festivals where many break out the campers for a good time. My duramax is camper less but that why I own a VW westafalia. Stay an extra day or two and I know a guy with a boat might take us out for a surf session....:biggrin:

Edited by alpensurf23
18 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I hear the mountain biking is pretty great over there too.  Was thinking about entering the Enduro in the old Dad citizen likes to drink beer class sometime.

The owner of Targhee has put an insane amount of money and hard work into the trails, bike park features, lifts etc. He even will have downhill trails and features on the beginner lift for the lil ones. The XC trails also have been buffed out and super fun. There is just as much traffic up to the hill almost summer to our winters. The Trap bar is open during the summer for spirits. 

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, alpensurf23 said:

@sunvalleylaw Very clean! Keep it clean with weather tech mats, and seat covers my first thought. :cheers:

Prior owner put husky liner mats throughout, and used seat covers.  I will of course keep the husky mats, but may have trouble installing covers as I love the leather so much.  Hmm.  Maybe sheepskins on the front or something.  The rears won't get used all that much on a daily basis.  Or if you have a different idea for covers that don't mess up the whole point of having leather, let me know!

2 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Prior owner put husky liner mats throughout, and used seat covers.  I will of course keep the husky mats, but may have trouble installing covers as I love the leather so much.  Hmm.  Maybe sheepskins on the front or something.  The rears won't get used all that much on a daily basis.  Or if you have a different idea for covers that don't mess up the whole point of having leather, let me know!

Katzkin.com might give you an option. I put them on my tundra and even added a seat heater that wasn't oem on my truck. They also make backseat blanket style seat covers at cabelas that are easy on and off that do a better job than towels and for dogs. Just a couple thoughts.

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 1

Looks nice. Personally I would not put covers on the front seats. In my experience the leather in Dodge/RAM wears well. 

I do have one of the back seat cover/hammocks for the back seats when my dogs go. It does make clean up easier, especially on hunting trips. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Looks nice. Personally I would not put covers on the front seats. In my experience the leather in Dodge/RAM wears well. 

I do have one of the back seat cover/hammocks for the back seats when my dogs go. It does make clean up easier, especially on hunting trips. 

Kinda thinking this.  And if I get wear over time on the bolster on the way out of the driver's seat, I can just get that repaired.  I would like a back seat cover, possibly a Carhartt one in brown (or black if I can find one), as that looks fun to me.  

Carhartt rear cover

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Happy New (to me) Truck Day!  I love it!  Just wanted to keep driving tonight. 

5BAFD0BE-FE5C-4722-8E5A-7F0D5568AEF1.jpeg

I love the fancy running boards that retract and have lights too!

59DD9A85-248D-4618-BEB4-D467278345FE.jpeg

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Congrats!  Not sure if it has been said already, but with that model year the recommendation is to run the exhaust brake full time (weather permitting).  Helps avoid soot build up in the emissions system.

4 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Congrats!  Not sure if it has been said already, but with that model year the recommendation is to run the exhaust brake full time (weather permitting).  Helps avoid soot build up in the emissions system.

I have not heard that before.  Seems like that would kill mileage when you don't need the brake.  Will look into it.  Also may look into a delete and tune.  

1 minute ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I have not heard that before.  Seems like that would kill mileage when you don't need the brake.  Will look into it.  Also may look into a delete and tune.  

Look at Cumminsforum.com or TurboDieselRegister.  You will see it consistently.  

I should have mentioned this before, but do you know if the truck has had the EGR Valve and filter cleaned?  It is scheduled every 67,500 miles.  I think it is over $1200 at the dealer.  If it hasn't been done, maybe the dealer will give you a discount on having it done.

For the record, I don't run the EB full time on my 2012, but my truck is a tow vehicle and highway queen.  No city driving.

Tune and delete is an interesting option if you don't care about the Federal Emissions laws, and don't have emissions testing.  My county requires emissions testing every other year, and for that reason alone, it is off the table for me.

Yeah, I will look into it.  Mine will be a mix of highway and a little town driving, and towing.  This truck is at under 62 k so I really doubt the EGR Valve and filter cleaned.  Will check it out and decide what to do.  

@RyanB  Seems to me that meanwhile, I will at least run with the EB on when in town driving when EGR effect is worse, based on what I am reading.  I will read some more also, to figure out how not to lose coast which of course helps fuel economy, and still handle the issue.  

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

Look at Cumminsforum.com or TurboDieselRegister.  You will see it consistently.  

I should have mentioned this before, but do you know if the truck has had the EGR Valve and filter cleaned?  It is scheduled every 67,500 miles.  I think it is over $1200 at the dealer.  If it hasn't been done, maybe the dealer will give you a discount on having it done.

For the record, I don't run the EB full time on my 2012, but my truck is a tow vehicle and highway queen.  No city driving.

Tune and delete is an interesting option if you don't care about the Federal Emissions laws, and don't have emissions testing.  My county requires emissions testing every other year, and for that reason alone, it is off the table for me.

@sunvalleylaw,

raceme ultra or MM3 tuners can handle a tune that shuts off your EGR valve.  at least you won' have as many regens and you won' have all the soot buildup in your oil and crankcase. also with no EGR, you won't "make" oil.  sometimes unburned fuel, from EGR, when being recycled, can go down the cylinder walls, thus diluting your engine oil and hence "making" oil. bad for your motor obviously. my raceme ultra tune plus yanking out all the SCR and DPF exhaust components and installing new 4 in exhaust with straight thru muff, was $2600.  by Stl. Diesel.  what they do now, is instead of removing EGR components, they disable them so it is easier to take it back to stock if desired for resale.

MO does not require emission testing of HD trucks.  my truck is registered at my lake house where no emission testing is required for anything.

if you tune it, you will love it.  Raceme Ultra is better for plug and play. EFI  Live . has more adjustability but you need a competant tuner.

Edited by carguy79ta

Just put my Old Pendleton blanket In there and folded up that we are backseats until I get the other cover in.  I always  like to keep that old wool  blanket in my vehicle as part of a roadside emergency Kit. You never know where you might be stuck out in the middle of Idaho. 😏

6A36D415-0552-47E9-83D4-62EEE6F8D9A3.jpeg

Edited by sunvalleylaw