Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

250/2500 level tow rig for +/- 30k (now increased budget)

sunvalleylaw

One other thing, I have never, EVER, bought a new car.  Closest thing was a private sale one year old 1990 4Runner I bought from a friend in 1991.  I have a real hard time taking that hit on a new vehicle driving off the lot.  I also keep my vehicles forever too, if I like them.  Have any of you bought a warranty of some kind on a newer HD truck?  Say 2013 and up?  If so, has it worked out?

Edited by sunvalleylaw

@sunvalleylaw Redfish Lake... Always wanted to check that place out but heard small and I know folks that live to waterski it. Respecting that I keep my surf boat off. I also don't like waking the fisherman, Sups and canoes. Tubers are a different story unless small children involved. Three dudes on a hotdog buzzing my boat while a cute lady surfs. Declaration of wake war.. :rofl: ps. Just checked GSA auction site if you haven't before its fun. Beware of the confiscated vehicles......:cheers:

2 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

One other thing, I have never, EVER, bought a new car.  Closest thing was a private sale one year old 1990 4Runner I bought from a friend in 1991.  I have a real hard time taking that hit on a new vehicle driving off the lot.  I also keep my vehicles forever too, if I like them.  Have any of you bought a warranty of some kind on a newer HD truck?  Say 2013 and up?  If so, has it worked out?

Have you looked into certified vehicles?  You can get some extended warranties covered through that program.  I bought my silverado that way.  It had 11K miles on it and it extended the powertrain to 100k, put a lifetime on the engine (that might have been a dealership thing) and added 1 yr and 12K miles to the bumper to bumper

5 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

@sunvalleylaw Redfish Lake... Always wanted to check that place out but heard small and I know folks that live to waterski it. Respecting that I keep my surf boat off. I also don't like waking the fisherman, Sups and canoes. Tubers are a different story unless small children involved. Three dudes on a hotdog buzzing my boat while a cute lady surfs. Declaration of wake war.. :rofl: ps. Just checked GSA auction site if you haven't before its fun. Beware of the confiscated vehicles......:cheers:

That pic actually is from Alturas, essentially next door.  Smaller yet.  Redfish is not super small.  And if you want to ski quality water, you need to get up and out there.  There are plenty of surfers there, and I have no problem with them enjoying.  Typically, they are out later.  And often, the lake can be pretty chopped up by then.  @Rambino21 is out there with us sometimes!  Thanks for being courteous too.  You should check it out (Redfish) sometime.  Where do you normally boat?

@sunvalleylaw Palisades reservoir mostly during our season. Jackson Lake is a haul and lots of hoops getting into park. Beautiful view but cold as all get out and pretty windy. Palisades is the complete opposite with no marina keeping many away except for saturdays. Thinking of heading to AZ next month to break in our A24s. If ever in this neck of woods let me know. I think I checked the ski post option. :cheers:

• Like 1

@sunvalleylaw I bought my camper used, I just looked up weights online.  https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/buyers-guide/pop-up/northstar-pop-up-camper/  I bring a lot of crap with me when I go out camping.  One thing about a diesel which you probably already know is in cold climates, the potential for gelled diesel lines.

@mackie12 That was on my way to the Mammoth Motocross Race last fall, going over Sonora Pass in CA.

8 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

@sunvalleylaw I bought my camper used, I just looked up weights online.  https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/buyers-guide/pop-up/northstar-pop-up-camper/  I bring a lot of crap with me when I go out camping.  One thing about a diesel which you probably already know is in cold climates, the potential for gelled diesel lines.

@mackie12 That was on my way to the Mammoth Motocross Race last fall, going over Sonora Pass in CA.

The newer the  diesel truck the better they are with the cold. They also here in idaho treat the pump diesel to prevent gel issues during the winter. I  still carry a bottle of diesel treatment if headed into extreme cold temps or unable to plug truck in. (i.e. leaving at airport in the winter). 

• Like 1

yeah in MO the pumps carry a winter mix.  I had to go look at a bridge a month ago and the air was 5deg. with 25mph wind.  our mechanic at work gave me a bottle of antigel,  I put some in the tank for good measure, didn' want a problem. have started t in 10 to 15 dag without having plugged it in. started no probs.

• Like 1

I used to add fluid to my Passat, but have not the last couple years and have had no problems.   It is a 2005.  No recall, as it did not pretend to have such high mileage back then.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:57 AM, carguy79ta said:

good looking truck. you will love it.

Ok, I have authority from my home finance committee to proceed.  Time for a deposit and inspection.  

35 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Ok, I have authority from my home finance committee to proceed.  Time for a deposit and inspection.  

She has good taste as well.... your finance committee..

• Like 1

I have been looking the truck over, while the dealer was closed, and it is hard to find much that doesn't seem almost new, except, one tire (currently mounted passenger front) is worn on the outside more than the others, which have decent tread left.  Will want that figured out before I proceed.  Both the tire replaced or perhaps both that are mounted front now, and also find out why it happened.  Has anyone ever experienced something like that?  Could be the prior owner ran the tire while low I suppose, but want to make sure nothing else needs to be addressed.  As I said, will be taking it to a shop for an inspection.  Maybe will have Les Schwab check the alignment and etc.  

Just did some searching, and looks like there can be both ball joint and toe in issues that dealers often fail to correct, saying everything is w/in normal spec.  I found two threads on the Dodge Cummins forum right away on it.  This is on trucks from the last few years, not just older.   And outside wear on the front right seems to be a common symptom.  Will show that to the dealer guy and see what he wants to do to sell the truck.  

Alignment, low tire pressure are good calls. While having it done have them inspect suspension and front end for damage/repair. I'm sure you will request a legit CarFax but if front looks to good to be true( i.e. no to be expected rock chips, scratches, signs of use) there might be something not documented. Most likely your suspicions are correct but better safe than sorry. Independent inspection recommended. 

There was a recall recently issued for the brake transmission shift interlock. Might check to see if that truck is affected and have the dealer take care of it before you take delivery. 

Recalls.mopar.com enter the vin and see if it’s part of the recall. 

The stock headlight bulbs sucked, so I replaced them with some brighter bulbs and had to modify a different high beam bulb to work (on the advice on the ram forums). Much better now. Only other issue I had that wasn’t covered under warranty was the weather stripping on the 3rd brake light wore down, causing water to come into the storage under the rear seat. Was about $10 and 10 minutes to fix. Might see when the brake pads were last replaced. Mine were toasted at 50k miles. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

Alignment, low tire pressure are good calls. While having it done have them inspect suspension and front end for damage/repair. I'm sure you will request a legit CarFax but if front looks to good to be true( i.e. no to be expected rock chips, scratches, signs of use) there might be something not documented. Most likely your suspicions are correct but better safe than sorry. Independent inspection recommended. 

The Carfax checks out and seems normal for a wealthy guy who splits time between here and cal and takes care of his things. The car was serviced both in Idaho and in Cali, with rotations, oil changes, etc. noted.  The truck has all the weathertec mats and etc.  Will get it checked but bet it is alignment, toe in, or tire pressure. 

@Pnwrider I saw the recent recall on the Carfax  but it said there was no fix yet. I will still ask.

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 1

@sunvalleylaw Right on as I said and liked, you are looking in the right places for issue. I also knew not your first rodeo on carfax. If something is so clean or "almost new" as you said I always look deeper especially do to age of vehicle. Better safe than sorry. Congrats appears you found a gem even if it is a Dodge... Just kidding.:cheers:   

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

The stock headlight bulbs sucked, so I replaced them with some brighter bulbs and had to modify a different high beam bulb to work (on the advice on the ram forums). Much better now. Only other issue I had that wasn’t covered under warranty was the weather stripping on the 3rd brake light wore down, causing water to come into the storage under the rear seat. Was about $10 and 10 minutes to fix. Might see when the brake pads were last replaced. Mine were toasted at 50k miles. 

Also, thanks on the tips on the brake pads and headlight bulbs.  Will get the light bulbs replaced.  Also will check on the brake pads, and check the rear storage, though it seemed dry when I looked with the salesman.  

Wish I had a good option for brighter bulbs on my old Passat.  I love that car, but would like to upgrade the lights, and there seems to be few options using the OEM headlamp assemblies.  And I don't like the disco looking ones.  

12 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Also, thanks on the tips on the brake pads and headlight bulbs.  Will get the light bulbs replaced.  Also will check on the brake pads, and check the rear storage, though it seemed dry when I looked with the salesman.  

Wish I had a good option for brighter bulbs on my old Passat.  I love that car, but would like to upgrade the lights, and there seems to be few options using the OEM headlamp assemblies.  And I don't like the disco looking ones.  

First, check to see if you’re ok with the stock bulbs. I wanted brighter as I’m used to led and hid style lights. I did some digging and found what I did. I went with these bulbs for low beams:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-h11

and these for high beams (required modification which meant sanding/grinding down one of the plastic tabs):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J5CW

If the rear storage is dry, you should be good to go. Just wanted to give a heads up on issues I’ve had with same truck. 

• Like 1

Looks like everything is a go in terms of inspection, and I am getting new 10 ply tires all around.  Just waiting for the financing aspects to come together then should be driving a new (to me) truck!