Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

250/2500 level tow rig for +/- 30k (now increased budget)

sunvalleylaw

Starting to save and shop for a new tow rig.  I got a truck camper, so I don't have to sleep on the ground any more.  So the 2001 1500 Suburban we currently use to tow our 1998 Response (single axle trailer) is on the way out.  I am thinking I want to stay about 2010 to 2013-ish, for price.  I want to keep the price somewhere close to 20k.  Or at least low 20's.  Even with that, will probably finance about half.  I want 250/2500 level for carrying the weight of the truck camper, and pulling the boat, over a high pass we cross to get to the lakes, and to properly support the tongue weight and camper.  Open to all three brands.  Open to either fuel.  Of course it will likely be a vehicle from one of the big 3.  and I do want a crew cab or at least a good sized extended cap suitable for teens, and an 8 ft. bed.  It will be a big truck, but I live in Idaho, so that is ok.  Oh, and I will try for leather, but it at least has to have a power driver's seat with good adjustability and lumbar support even if cloth.

Please give my your thoughts as to brand, years to look for, which motor/fuel, etc.  Thanks!

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Jeebus, that is going to be tough.  2010-2013 3/4 ton crewcab for 20K is going to have a million miles on it and the smallest gas engine you can get in the truck.

Most likely truck to find in that range is going to be a V-10 F250, but I'd be spending more and trying to get a Dodge or Chev diesel for what you are trying to do.  And honestly with a bed camper and towing a boat I'd be looking for a dually 

I currently daily drive a 2015 diesel F250. If I totaled it today, I'd buy another. 

For you under 20k, I think it's a no brainer to buy a 2011-2015 GAS F250. You'll get a heavy duty frame, brakes, and carrying capacity for a bargain. I'd stay far away from a diesel 6.0L or high mileage 6.7L diesel because they are in your price range, but can devastate someone financially if you buy a bad one. I've had two friends buy 06/07 diesel 6.0L and after engine repairs, they could've bought a new 2016 250 diesel.

You'll find that gas heavy duty trucks can sell for less than the 150/1500 level because of the demand right now.  So Gas heavy duty with 100k miles would serve you well in my opinion. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

, but I'd be spending more and trying to get a Dodge or Chev diesel for what you are trying to do.  And honestly with a bed camper and towing a boat I'd be looking for a dually 

The truck camper is not a heavy one.  It is a pop up type, no bathroom, so lighter, and lower center of gravity.  And was used up til now on a long bed 2001 1500 chev.  250/2500 will be fine with our relatively light boat and the relatively light camper.  If the right 350/3500 came along, I would do that, but no need for a dually.  And not thinking I will find a 350/3500 near what I am trying to spend.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
4 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

The truck camper is not a heavy one.  It is a pop up type, no bathroom, so lighter, and lower center of gravity.  And was used up til now on a long bed 2001 1500 chev.  250/2500 will be fine with our relatively light boat and the relatively light camper.  If the right 350/3500 came along, I would do that, but no need for a dually.  And not thinking I will find a 350/3500 near what I am trying to spend.  

FWIW - they are relatively rare but most brands have dually 2500's as an option. (or at least they used to)  More for the stability of having campers and towing big enclosed trailers.

Youre going to be hard pressed to find something that new without a lot of miles, but theres a possible option:  There are some supercab gas f250s with reasonable mileage if you look nationwide and don't mind a white truck with a beat up bed...  Many will have been fleet trucks...so either very well maintained or very poorly maintained with little in between in my experience.  

With the camper on the back my list would be simple.  Best in class braking, trailer mirrors, 4x4, and well maintained.  Can get leather seat skins to install later.  Plenty of truck to get you over most passes.

I wouldn't touch a Triton 10cyl after the issues I had with a work truck years ago but to each their own.

Edited by Pra4sno
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a 13  2500 Ram Diesel with 37k miles for 37g.  I would reccomend a diesel. the gasser fuel mileage will kill you. I would think you can find an older one in your price range.  my Ram gets 4mpg better than my 5.3 2004 Yukon.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

I bought a 13  2500 Ram Diesel with 37k miles for 37g.  I would reccomend a diesel. the gasser fuel mileage will kill you. I would think you can find an older one in your price range.  my Ram gets 4mpg better than my 5.3 2004 Yukon.

Hes trying to stay around 20k.   The truck you mentioned would double his payment.

Edited by Pra4sno
4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

We’ve got a chev 3500 with the 6.0L vortex and it’s actually not too bad on gas. Went from older Tacoma and didn’t really notice..

Do a little bit of online research, find 3 good looking trucks of each brand close to you and test drive them. It all comes down to personal preference. If you aren’t towing a lot, which you don’t appear to be the gas will probably be much better for you in the long run. 

I will say that in 2012 the fords got the new 6.2L engine which was a big improvement over the 11s. Personally I don’t like the interiors on the base model rams, way to cheap... but that’s just me. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok, so looking to move my price point up just a bit.  Seems like my options get a lot better when I do that.  Looking at this one that was owned here locally, has really low miles, and seems in nice shape.  Opinions?  

https://my.dealersocket.com/NewEbrochure/eBrochure/Index?WebLeadId=Tt9IdaOc 5U=&InventoryID=ABL5SoMgDbk=&EBrochureSiteId=ZrdTf9NQ46M=&EBrochureEntityId=I u4oPseM8g=&EventId=e D3i/9UzUo=&CreatedById=a1XVkaPGjhk=&RemoteSiteId=ZrdTf9NQ46M=

Here is the Car Guru listing for the same one.  https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=195926808

And here is one in Utah, with a few more miles and a grand less.  But that is further away, and there is more salt on the roads down there.  

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=195976487

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Opinions?  

I hate budget creep as much as the next guy, but that's a lot of scratch for an 8 year old truck.  At that pricepoint, new starts to look better and better.  IMHO, YMMV, etc etc.

5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I hate budget creep as much as the next guy, but that's a lot of scratch for an 8 year old truck.  At that pricepoint, new starts to look better and better.  IMHO, YMMV, etc etc.

New for similarly equipped is near double.  I could probably get a couple years newer, with a few more miles and be close.  But not new that I can find.  I want the leather/Laramie package.  With our dogs, cloth just does not work.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
1 minute ago, sunvalleylaw said:

New for similarly equipped is near double.  I could probably get a couple years newer, with a few more miles and be close.  But not new that I can find.

but seems like tradesman can be had for mid 40s? https://www.hoblitdodge.com/exotic-new/Ram/2018-Ram-2500-126bda1f0a0e0adf61d8b80fc9742c4f.htm

56 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

This i6 diesels?

Yes.  All RAM HD diesels have always been I6.  First the 5.9 liters.  Then moving to 6.7 in 2007.5.

43 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Wasn’t it just a tune to keep the dpf/egr issues down?

No.  It was more than that.

Our Ram engineers just didn’t stop at the engine. Additional upgrades include a new power train control  module with a revised performance calibration that allows the six-cylinder Cummins Diesel to achieve peak power at a more desirable rpm range. The automatic transmission also has a new higher-rated torque converter to take advantage of the increase torque and better integration for improved towing capabilities on various road conditions. Also, the High-Output Cummins has a revised crankshaft damper that will reduce engine noise and vibration throughout the interior of the Ram.

http://blog.ramtrucks.com/ram-technology/rotate-the-earth-with-the-new-high-output-cummins-turbo-diesel/

Just a thought if you need leather...you should be able to add leather seats to any vehicle for $700-$1500 depending on options. I did that with my f150, added katzkin leather and have no complaints. 

• Like 1