Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Brands

I've read and searched for a bit and am curious what the gurus on here suggest.  I know that the Optima batteries tend to be more marketing than performance, and people tend to recommend some of the "other" brands instead.  In searching, I can't find where those "other" brands are mentioned.  What do you guys recommend as an alternative to the Optima line?  Just curious what brands people have had good experiences with.

For a cranking battery, the optima has a decent CCA. Not the best when compared to its price though, as others. But for a house battery, the Optima has a poor Ah to dollar ratio as compared to other AGM like the interstate, Shuriken, XS Power, Kinetik, VMax, Odyssey, etc, offer a better value when you compare their $$$ to Ah in a comparable size to the Optima. 

22 minutes ago, Bradley Thornton said:

For the boat get a interstate. Look at the #s its a great battery at a good price.

x2 - that is what either Malibu or my dealer put in stock (not sure if batteries come with boats or dealer installs).  Mine have got 6 seasons on them so far - both cranking batteries.

Five boats from Malibu to Toons to Waverunners. 7 batteries.  Big ones from Walmart (cranking and deep cycle) and small ones from Batteries Plus Bulbs.  Everything from 7 years old to 1 year old.  All still working fine.  Lead acid is lead acid.  Most important thing, I think, is a good charger/maintainer over the Winter.  Don't spend $ to support their advertising :)

• Like 3

My step-dad used to work at a battery plant - at the end of the line the same battery would often just get a different sticker - store brand or brand name.   You were getting the same battery, but in essence paying for the longer warranty the name brand offered.  

My Walmart battery for my 1970 boat is dated 2/11.  My Exide battery in my Malibu is dated 5/15.  The Exide replaced the original battery which was dated 11/02, which was also an Exide.  My longest lasting marine battery was an AC/Delco, second, Sears marine Diehard.  15 and 13 seasons, back when I lived on salt water.  I do not keep my batteries on a trickle charger and only give them one maintenance charge during the winter, usually in Feb.  As an electrician who installed many very large battery back-up UPS systems, I was told by multiple battery reps that the worst thing you can do to a battery is charge it constantly which keeps the self destroying chemical reaction ongoing.

Edited by electricjohn
speling
  • Like 1

I picked up a NOCO Genius Gen 2 over the winter.  I'm assuming that this maintainer should be able to handle that, correct?  If we leave the boat on a lift during the week, no harm in plugging it in each time we leave, right?

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I picked up a NOCO Genius Gen 2 over the winter.  I'm assuming that this maintainer should be able to handle that, correct?  If we leave the boat on a lift during the week, no harm in plugging it in each time we leave, right?

It says it good up to 230ah,   Yes leave it plugged in every chance you get.

Why you are letting me spend your money you may want to add this if you don't have it.  

https://www.bakesonline.com/blue-seas-add-a-battery-system-120amp-switch-and-relay.html

13 hours ago, Bradley Thornton said:

It says it good up to 230ah,   Yes leave it plugged in every chance you get.

Why you are letting me spend your money you may want to add this if you don't have it.  

https://www.bakesonline.com/blue-seas-add-a-battery-system-120amp-switch-and-relay.html

I have considered adding one.  I also have a couple old isolators sitting in a box that I was thinking of using as well.  I don't mind manually switching them, but understand the benefit of set it and forget it.

55 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I have considered adding one.  I also have a couple old isolators sitting in a box that I was thinking of using as well.  I don't mind manually switching them, but understand the benefit of set it and forget it.

I prefer running an isolator and no manual switch.  Less to go wrong.

• Like 2

I've always used the Interstate battery, no problems, unless it gets ran completely dead a few times (radio or light left on).  Then they seem to fail pretty quickly afterwards. 

I bought my current battery in the spring of '17, and I went to remove it a few weeks ago before it got really cold and when I tried to loosen the nut on the positive terminal the stupid stud/post started spinning inside the battery.  Will they warranty something like that?  I either need to cut the 3 wires off going to that post and crimp new ends or I need to cut the post.

28 minutes ago, SummerSunsetter said:

I think Interstate are the best buy, NAPA Batteries and Interstate are made in same factory. Save a little cash, buy at NAPA

That’s incorrect.  Deka East Penn is  the maker of Napa Auto Parts batteries and Interstate Batteries markets batteries made by exide technologies, Johnson controls and other indepedent distributors.

I think the Napa are better too.  Buy before 9am on 2nd Saturday for 30% off

Johnson controls makes batteries in Mexico and Deka is in Pennsylvania... no brainer there

Edited by Murphy8166
On 1/12/2018 at 7:20 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I run re-branded Deka AGM batteries in the boat.  They are branded Duracell.  Purchased cheapest at Sams Club, the only reason I have a membership there, otherwise I use Costco.

Would that be their SL34M? I have been thinking about using that next in my boat. Is it a dual purpose?

I think or at least at one time the Optima batteries were a jell battery. That was a thing in automotive ( Racing ) less problems with vibration. And that may have been only one line Don't know.  But in the end I just look at pricing and numbers.  I just picked up a new battery for my Honda ATV the original 2002 would not crank it on the single and sub zero days. I ended up with one made in Grand Rapids Mi. Looked like it was made nice, and home state priced with all the rest. Its in my ATV now so I let you know I hope in fourteen years or so. 

18 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Would that be their SL34M? I have been thinking about using that next in my boat. Is it a dual purpose?

That would be it.  They fit under the observer seat (without a box), making perfect use of harder to access space while freeing up valuable observer compartment space.  I use one as a stereo battery and one to power everything else.