Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu will not engage in gear

Al1978

HI 

I have a 2013 Malibu response lxr with an Indmar 330hp motor. Ocasionally, the boat will not engage in forward or reverse and will just rev out. After switching the motor off and starting it again, it will engage and runs fine.

i have had the controller replaced and have checked the wiring and that is fine. we have followed it down to the solenoids on the transmission and they are working as they are meant to. We removed the solenoid mechanism, cleaned and refit with fresh oil however it still happens.

The transmission runs fine when engaged manually. 

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the situation as my mechanic is not too sure

Thank you in advance

Sounds like a solenoid issue or electrical.  I would run new wiring direct to solenoid and try the boat for a few days from controller.  If that does not fix it, then try the neutral switch which could possibly be intermittent. Good luck,...safe and happy boating!

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

Issue Fixed.... Turns out it was a faulty key barrel. After hitting start, I had to turn the key back a little to ON to provide power to the transmission.

New key barrel on order!

thanks for the advise

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having similar issues wit a 2014 LSV. Also won’t turn over but has full power to all accessories. But always starts a few hours later.

What is a key barrel? Thank you.