Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jl 900/5hd

BaBaLoO

What I'm currently running:

2- jl hd 750/1 Jd running 4 -7.7 bullet hollow point  towers anda jl 12w6v2 sub  

2 Rockford 600/4s to 8 Polk 6.5um's 

I've lost a channel in one of the Rockford 600/4s 

and can get the jl 900/5 Jd amp for a decent price.

My question is can I utilize all the power of the jl 900/5 to power all 8 in boat Polks and get the same sound out of them or would I even notice a difference? Currently they are getting 125w rms each. It would be nice to trim down the amps to 3 total. Any other amps you can suggest to power all the in boats? A good 1200w 2ch amp that won't break the bank?

the HD900/5 isn't really the best setup for your system because you don't need the 500w sub channel, and the four full range channels do 75W apiece regardless of impedance.  So you'd be doing 37.5w per cabin speaker.

For a single amp, I'd look at a JL XD800/8 (or 2x XD 400/4s).  That will get you 75w to each speaker in a single chassis, which is probably what you are realistically getting out of the rockfords.  

an arc xdi 1200.6 might be a decent alternative too.

Or go all in on the 750/1s and get two more and run one for the right speaker and one for the left (you would need to wire your speaker in series/parallel to get the load over 1.5ohm).

the xd 800/8 would be the easiest solution tho, and refurbs are plentiful.  https://creativeaudio.net/xd800-8v2-b/ . 

Is there a reason you are wanting a 5 chnl amp? Nothing wrong with leaving the woofer chnl unused, just may come out just as good or better to find just a 4 chnl to drove them.

Are your UM's the 2.7 or 4 ohm? I can never keep them straight and too lazy to look them up right now. 

3 hours ago, MLA said:

Is there a reason you are wanting a 5 chnl amp? Nothing wrong with leaving the woofer chnl unused, just may come out just as good or better to find just a 4 chnl to drove them.

Are your UM's the 2.7 or 4 ohm? I can never keep them straight and too lazy to look them up right now. 

4 ohm

no reason for the 5 ch other than getting a good deal on it. Was hoping I could some how use the sub channel to power 4 of the in boats and the other 4 channels to power the other 4. Any other amps you could recommend that could power all 8 at around the 125w rms per channel range?

4 ohm certainly makes choosing an amp easier. Are you sure they are getting 125W rms on the current amp(s)? 125 x 4 = 500 rms @ 4 ohm. That would mean the amp's 2 ohm x 4 would be 150. Something doesnt add up. Quick look and neither the P600 or the T600 have a 4 ohm x 4 of 125. Not trying to call you out or prove you wrong in any way, just trying to clarify your systems current bench mark so a recommendation can be made thats equal to or better. 

The wet Sounds Syn-DX4 will drive all 8 at 100W rms. Not going to have an audible difference between 100 and 125 watt rms. If you have a pair of dash mounted speakers, the Syn-DX6 might be the better route. It would allow you to put those dash speakers on their own chnls so you can gain them down a little if needed, to compensate for their location advantage.  

I'm with MLA -- your current amp is only giving them 75-100w per channel @ 4ohms.  The xd800/8 is absolute money on the polk ums.  I ran that exact setup a couple of boats ago. Each pair can be separately gained for fine tuning.

11 hours ago, MLA said:

4 ohm certainly makes choosing an amp easier. Are you sure they are getting 125W rms on the current amp(s)? 125 x 4 = 500 rms @ 4 ohm. That would mean the amp's 2 ohm x 4 would be 150. Something doesnt add up. Quick look and neither the P600 or the T600 have a 4 ohm x 4 of 125. Not trying to call you out or prove you wrong in any way, just trying to clarify your systems current bench mark so a recommendation can be made thats equal to or better. 

The wet Sounds Syn-DX4 will drive all 8 at 100W rms. Not going to have an audible difference between 100 and 125 watt rms. If you have a pair of dash mounted speakers, the Syn-DX6 might be the better route. It would allow you to put those dash speakers on their own chnls so you can gain them down a little if needed, to compensate for their location advantage.  

Sorry I meant to put 150 (x4 would be 600w, just assumed that's what the amps would be putting out)  no dash speakers. 

10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm with MLA -- your current amp is only giving them 75-100w per channel @ 4ohms.  The xd800/8 is absolute money on the polk ums.  I ran that exact setup a couple of boats ago. Each pair can be separately gained for fine tuning.

Both good options too look at, thanks guys!!! 

12 minutes ago, BaBaLoO said:

(x4 would be 600w, just assumed that's what the amps would be putting out)

This would be at 2 ohm load per chnl, as in a pair of 4 ohm speakers wired to each chnl. With one 4 ohm speaker per chnl as in your case, its likely only 75W per speaker.  

15 hours ago, MLA said:

This would be at 2 ohm load per chnl, as in a pair of 4 ohm speakers wired to each chnl. With one 4 ohm speaker per chnl as in your case, its likely only 75W per speaker.  

Where are you guys getting your specs from for the wetsounds and jl amp? Looking at their websites they don't show the same specs. Would I wire them up at 2ohm?

1 hour ago, BaBaLoO said:

Where are you guys getting your specs from for the wetsounds and jl amp?

Off the top of my head as i know them for the wet sounds amps. The Syn-DX4 delivers 200W rms x 4 @ 2 ohm. So with 8 speakers, thats 100W rms to each speaker, as noted above.  https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN-DX4  The Syn-DX6, better option, delivers 300W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm on chnls 5 & 5, so for 4 of your speakers, thats 150W rms to each. Chnls 1-4 deliver technically 125W rms @ 4 ohm. https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN-DX6

The JL M800/8 delivers 75W rms x 8 @ 4 ohm http://www.jlaudio.com/m800-8v2-marine-audio-m-series-amplifiers-98359

2 hours ago, BaBaLoO said:

Would I wire them up at 2ohm?

Depends on the amp(s) chosen.