Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco Boost Question

NCVride

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I am not a Ford fan, but it is pretty disingenuous to claim that the EcoBoost engines are not reliable.  Do you hear about more problems with it than with a Toyota?  Probably.  But you should also factor in that Ford sells what, 3 or 4 EB for every Tundra that is sold?

The forced induction hasn't proven to be a significant improvement in MPG vs Chevy and RAM, but I don't think I have ever heard someone complain about the way it drives or the way it tows.  And with a slightly more efficient engine, and a slightly more efficient transmission (more gears) plus a lighter body/frame, you are beginning to get the recipe for a superior truck.  It is not all roses, but they wouldn't sell as many as they do if it was a turd.  Market share isn't the end-all-be-all, but it does tell some of the story.

Ford sold more 6.0 diesels than Chevy or Ram who had superior diesels at the time. Pretty sure it fell into the turd category and Ford still sold a bunch of them. Reputation and marketing are a powerful mix in the truck market.

I never said the ecoboost was unreliable. Just mentioned that pushing new tech brings quality issues that are typically sorted out by the customer. Seems to be a price that most truck buyers are willing to pay.  

Edited by Tims
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

GM doesn't consider it a mild or conservative change... when it launched they went to great lengths to tell everybody this was ALL NEW and nothing like the old 5.3L.  

Technically the 3.5L Ecoboost (launched in 2011) is older than your 5.3 (launched in 2014).  The Toyota 5.7L and Ram 5.7L are also older than your engine also.  

Yeah, the Hemi hasn't really changed much since 2009 when it got its last upgrade.  Haven't seen yet if they did anything to it for 2019 model year - saw one this weekend and that will likely be my next truck.

7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

@Tims the 6.0 was a turd, that cost Ford over $1,000,000,000.00 in warranty costs from what I have read. 

Are you putting the EcoBoost in that same category?

Nope. But Ford did spend a bunch of warranty money on intercoolers, turbos, and direct injection issues on the early Eco's. I think it is a solid engine and the OP would be happy with one if he does his homework. I am a Ford fan. 

Edited by Tims
4 minutes ago, Tims said:

Nope. But Ford did spend a bunch of warranty money on intercoolers, turbos, and direct injection issues on the early Eco's. I think it is a solid engine and the OP would be happy with one if he does his homework. I am a Ford fan. 

Not to mention chain tensioners