Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco Boost Question

NCVride

I really like my 2500 Ram diesel with a 200hp tune that I drive on including towing...am careful when towing..the 200hp tune gets 1mpg better than the stock tune. am going to head stud and a bigger turbo looking for 700hp.  also will upgrade the tranny.  saving fuel compared to my 04 5.3 yukon tho..lol

3 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

Shawn, are you happy with your Ecoboost power and fuel mileage? Any issues, just curious? Does anyone know anyone who can prove they paid 36,999 for an Eco-diesel, plus tax of course? I work with and personally know lots of folks (guys and gals) who have an Eco-diesel and they all freely admit they paid high 50s to 60K plus for their well equipped units. And admittedly, I don't know anyone who owns a stripped down version so I can't compare the low end.

Fall of 16 the ecodiesels were hotter than pancakes.  Incentives were low and there was a premium for the powertrain.  I know cuz I was shopping hard and just couldn't pull the trigger at 45K plus tax on a big horn.  I think the dieselgate thing in 2017 means that the market is just flooded with them.

I love the ecoboost.  It's not super "eco" (I avg 15-16 around town).  When shopping I really wanted a platinum or limited, with ALL of the bells and whistles, but then came across a deal on a "basic" XLT (private party, no sales tax).  I really like it and I'm actually glad I went with the cloth interior.  I thought the small screen would bug me but it works just fine.  I did do a little bit of stereo work but that's more of a me problem than a vehicle problem.  So far so good no problems but I've only put about 8k on it so far so who knows (from 62k to 70k).

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

This simply is NOT true.  Example: https://www.elkgrovedodge.net/new/Ram/2017-Ram-1500-bae795220a0e0adf706162dfb8989e43.htm

Not stripped down version, $36k for 4x4 crew cab.  FCA is finally selling the diesels pretty cheap.  I dunno whether Elk Grove Dodge is an outlier, but they are actually selling the diesels for less than the hemis.

Fca also just launched the new 1500. All 17’s and 18’s are going to be pushed off the lots. To some extent... they are planning on building the current model for another 2-3 years for some reason. 

If you’re comparing fuel prices, remember that Ford suggests premium when towing with the EB. 

And, @NorNevRider my 2012 CTD is stock in regards to drivetrain. So was my 2003 (both bought new) up until about a year before selling it. 

I would be willing to venture that the vast majority of diesel owners leave them that way, especially if they buy them new. 

• Like 1

I believe you are correct for towing.  I was just suggesting average fuel mileage and the average owner usage. Average use would probably be very little towing with a 1/2 ton truck. I have towed quite a bit with my Ecoboost both with 89 and 91 Octane and can see no difference in performance or fuel mileage. But having said that, I have only towed a maximum of 6000 lbs with it. I don't use 89 at all in the winter. I don't fear 89 in the summer.

I see very few stock diesels. Everyone I personally know with one exception has modified their diesel. The one unmodified truck I know is a 2012 CTD. They are very good trucks and last year before DEF. I personally have a lot of effort in mine. It is strictly set up to tow and haul. I think that the modern diesels are set up better. If I had a 2012 diesel of just about any brand, I would probably not modify it much, except maybe to increase/cool intake/exhaust flow and eliminate EGR. I am curious about what kind of heat you see out of all the required EGR  and exhaust systems on your truck. It has to run a lot hotter and that is definitely a factor in component life.

RyanB,

It's interesting that you mention your diesel trucks. Keeping them long term and not modifying them is definitely great by me. Most of the diesel owners I see don't keep them more than a couple years and modify them highly. I just don't get it. I have owned mine since 2010 and it is an 05. It's better than new and I think it's a better truck overall than a new 18.

@NorNevRider, on my 2003 CTD (NV5600), I only added a Smarty JR the last year I had it.  Really woke the truck up - towing 17,000 pounds, I could summit the Eisenhower tunnel 5 - 10 MPH faster than when it was stock.  Made me wonder why I didn't do it sooner. 

With that truck, ignorance was bliss.  I added one gauge (Exhaust gas I think), and just towed.  It did fine until I decided I wanted a real crew cab and upgraded.

New truck (2012) is stock with no added gauges.  My truck is solely for recreation.  It is my primary tow vehicle for my LSV, as well as my Lund fishing boat and my 32', 13,000 pound fifth wheel.  I used to tow my stern drive behind my 5er, I tried that with my Malibu, and it is just too big for me to do it comfortably.  

Anyway, way off track now.  Temps I see towing get up to 230* depending on the load and the grade.  I have spoken with mechanics that say that is just the nature of the beast on these newer vehicles.  My Yukon XL Denali sees the same temps just towing my LSV.  I am told it is nothing to worry about.  

On 1/23/2018 at 7:01 PM, wheelman said:

Just ordered a f150 Diesel today. 

If I recall correctly, you like to let your F150s go to the states.  I haven't been watching - but is demand still there/high?

2 minutes ago, KokaneeKonsumer said:

If I recall correctly, you like to let your F150s go to the states.  I haven't been watching - but is demand still there/high?

Yes I just sent my last one there 2 months ago and will send my 18 down in a few months as long as the Canadian dollar does not get much stronger. We hope the diesel f150’s will be scarce and demand a premium like the EcoDiesels first did and be able to do well sending the f150 diesels down. Time will tell, if not it’s a truck I don’t mind getting stuck with and driving for a while. 

RyanB,

That's the problem for most us diesel owners, once we figure out that a little tinkering can make it so much better we just can't stop. If I hadn't acquired my diesel so cheap I never would've put all this effort into it. I have mine set up where it pulls hard, gets to 210-218 max on coolant temp, and the exhaust temps are no higher than 1250 unless I just bury the throttle on a big heavy pull. Another great thing about my truck is that I'm using the same amount of fuel as when it was stock. I still watch the gauges like a hawk even after all the work, but I know for certain in the heat of the summer or dead of winter, there will not be an issue. It's very nice to have so much confidence in your rig. The difference between how you and I are using and keeping our trucks for years and the average diesel owner is what I find funny. After 8 years, I have 96,000 total miles on my truck and like you, it only works hauling or pulling.

The 12 CTD is no doubt one of the best stock trucks ever produced. You are lucky to have it. Plus they ride a lot better than previous years.

• Like 2

So what should we expect for reliability?

you guys good with check engine lights and QAQC failures every 15-30k?

replace major engine components at 100k? 200k Miles?  Take it to the junkyard at 200k?

Problems like these are just part of life and should be expected with any truck?

You guys ought to follow Titan XD and 2017+ Ford 6.7 forums on Facebook.  Unbelievable to me what guys are willing to tolerate and just chalk up as normal ownership issues.  

1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

replace major engine components at 100k? 200k Miles?  Take it to the junkyard at 200k?

Problems like these are just part of life and should be expected with any truck?

You guys ought to follow Titan XD and 2017+ Ford 6.7 forums on Facebook.  Unbelievable to me what guys are willing to tolerate and just chalk up as normal ownership issues.  

As long as buyers are willing to trade off reliability for the latest gadget the manufactures will continue to use their customers as final product testers. I can't keep up with how many different versions of engines Ford trucks have gone through in just the last 10 years not to mention changing from a sourced to in-sourced model for their diesels. All of that disruption will have an impact on reliability. 

3 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Kinda like ram right now. There is a recall on water pumps on the cummins. 2014 and up affected. But you go to mopar site or your dealer and the parts aren't available. The recall states the water pump fails and could catch truck in fire. Yet they are still producing new trucks with new water pumps. Wouldn't the right thing to do is stop production, send water pumps out to all trucks affected and then start the assembly line back up. 

Its all about the bottom line.🤦🏻‍♂️

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Tims said:

As long as buyers are willing to trade off reliability for the latest gadget the manufactures will continue to use their customers as final product testers. I can't keep up with how many different versions of engines Ford trucks have gone through in just the last 10 years not to mention changing from a sourced to in-sourced model for their diesels. All of that disruption will have an impact on reliability. 

And some people question why I thought buying a Chevy with an “old” drivetrain was a positive when I was shopping...

On 1/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

And some people question why I thought buying a Chevy with an “old” drivetrain was a positive when I was shopping...

I don’t consider your direct injection 5.3L engine “old.”

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

I don’t consider your direct injection 5.3L engine “old.”

I agree. But I consider it a fairly mild and conservative change compared to some of the three drivetrain changes out there. 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, spikew919 said:

Kinda like ram right now. There is a recall on water pumps on the cummins. 2014 and up affected. But you go to mopar site or your dealer and the parts aren't available. The recall states the water pump fails and could catch truck in fire. Yet they are still producing new trucks with new water pumps. Wouldn't the right thing to do is stop production, send water pumps out to all trucks affected and then start the assembly line back up. 

Its all about the bottom line.🤦🏻‍♂️

actually the water pump recall extends back to 13.  I got the notice..called the dealer and not available yet.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I agree. But I consider it a fairly mild and conservative change compared to some of the three drivetrain changes out there. 

GM doesn't consider it a mild or conservative change... when it launched they went to great lengths to tell everybody this was ALL NEW and nothing like the old 5.3L.  

Technically the 3.5L Ecoboost (launched in 2011) is older than your 5.3 (launched in 2014).  The Toyota 5.7L and Ram 5.7L are also older than your engine also.  

ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, IXFE said:

GM doesn't consider it a mild or conservative change... when it launched they went to great lengths to tell everybody this was ALL NEW and nothing like the old 5.3L.  

Technically the 3.5L Ecoboost (launched in 2011) is older than your 5.3 (launched in 2014).  The Toyota 5.7L and Ram 5.7L are also older than your engine also.  

All true. But direct injection isn’t new for the industry. I still feel the risk is lower then any forced induction engine even though it is newer. The risk is definitely lower when the transmission is factored in. The trans in my truck is tried and true. I guess that’s where “old” came from in my first post. And even with only a 6 speed I still average 19mpg lifetime, a bit higher in the summer and a bit lower in the winter. Tows my boat like it’s not back there and towed the new A24 better then I could have asked. Plenty of power and very good control over it through lots of curves, stop and go city traffic. I obviously don’t have mountains to pass over so idk how it would do there. 

Anyway... :)

I am not a Ford fan, but it is pretty disingenuous to claim that the EcoBoost engines are not reliable.  Do you hear about more problems with it than with a Toyota?  Probably.  But you should also factor in that Ford sells what, 3 or 4 EB for every Tundra that is sold?

The forced induction hasn't proven to be a significant improvement in MPG vs Chevy and RAM, but I don't think I have ever heard someone complain about the way it drives or the way it tows.  And with a slightly more efficient engine, and a slightly more efficient transmission (more gears) plus a lighter body/frame, you are beginning to get the recipe for a superior truck.  It is not all roses, but they wouldn't sell as many as they do if it was a turd.  Market share isn't the end-all-be-all, but it does tell some of the story.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

I never made that claim. Or that Ford doesn’t build a great truck. They do. No argument here. There is peace of mind with purchases, that’s all I was saying with mine. 

Oh and btw, 2019 Silverado is slimmer by 450 ish pounds. But it’s a bigger truck.