Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco Boost Question

NCVride

12 hours ago, Tims said:

Please elaborate on Mopar tech. Was Fiat able to lift Ram off of the 2016 consumer report 10 worst list yet?

Many believe Consumer Reports evaluations are facts, I don't.

20 hours ago, jaciche said:

You ford f-150 EB guys: does your truck squat badly when you hook up your boats? Have any of you put stiffer springs or bags in the rear to help offset this?

I haul a lot of Flooring Material so I did go agead and install an air bag kit, It definaltly helps with leveling the boat, My 2013 used to squat with my old boat, 

4 hours ago, DAI said:

My '15 MPG calcs done by the truck are consistently 5%-8% optimistic when not towing.  Towing it's much closer.  I reset trip 2 on every fill up and the fuel consumed it always lower than the pump through 50,000 miles.  My 2 previous Yukon Denali's with the 6.2lt were also optimistic, but not quite as bad.

I was very surprised how accurate mine was, like to the 1/4 gallon towing or not towing was the same. My 18 does not have that display anymore. I wonder why that get rid of it. I really liked it when towing. 

Mine are very close also but I am not surprised.  It all comes from data controlling the engine ECU its always looking! If you have stock tires and wheels or have calibrated for any changes you should be very close.  The drag race was closer then I would have thought but not surprised of the outcome. The big thing in our daily driving is the torque at driving rpm,s. Its always nice to have big torque at low rpm's.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wheelman said:

I was very surprised how accurate mine was, like to the 1/4 gallon towing or not towing was the same. My 18 does not have that display anymore. I wonder why that get rid of it. I really liked it when towing. 

Have you dug into the dash configuring ?  It should have a number of fuel economy readings. I have not been in the 2018 F but the 2018 Expedition has it. It also can show boost pressure.  I would like to have that.

13 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Have you dug into the dash configuring ?  It should have a number of fuel economy readings. I have not been in the 2018 F but the 2018 Expedition has it. It also can show boost pressure.  I would like to have that.

Yeah I was able to change my boost gauge and transmission temp gauge on the main dash so the boost gauge is always on display which I like much better. The readout for fuel used was in the trip 1 and 2 screens on my other f150’s, now that box shows distance to empty instead of fuel used. As far as I can see now way to configure it differently 

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Ford and NOT get the EcoBoost.  Reports like Fuelly will refute those high MPG numbers, but I really don't think I have ever seen a report where someone was disappointed in the way it pulls.

Still not my truck of choice though.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Ford and NOT get the EcoBoost.  Reports like Fuelly will refute those high MPG numbers, but I really don't think I have ever seen a report where someone was disappointed in the way it pulls.

Still not my truck of choice though.

Got mine back and am still getting 21.5 average over the last few thousand miles.  

Fuelly rocks, but I have always experienced much higher mileage myself than their population.  I believe it is easily skewed by those with non-stock vehicles or a lead foot.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:25 PM, Tims said:

Reliable, powerful, easy to extract more power.  Did I mention reliable? 

Please elaborate on Mopar tech. Was Fiat able to lift Ram off of the 2016 consumer report 10 worst list yet?

Well, I wasn't comparing the hemi to toyota's 5.7 (though the hemi bests it in torque and HP, and has cylinder deactivation unlike toyota's), I was merely questioning how the toyota 5.7 was one of the "best engines".  Track record of reliability?  Absolutely.  Powerful?  Sure, close to 400 hp is nothing to sneeze at but thats bested by every other manufacturer, even the ford coyote and blown away by GM's 6.2.  Couple power deficiency with terible MPG, but with great reliability, it is a lot of things, but "best" isn't the adjective that stands out to me but to each his own.

12 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Got mine back and am still getting 21.5 average over the last few thousand miles.  

Fuelly rocks, but I have always experienced much higher mileage myself than their population.  I believe it is easily skewed by those with non-stock vehicles or a lead foot.

There are always outliers to everything.  If you are getting 21.5 over the last few thousand miles, you are one of them.  The EcoBoost is a great towing engine, but the vast majority of owners do not report any superiority of MPG over competitive power plants.

Since 2011, Fuelly has data on over 1400 trucks reporting over 25,000,000 miles.  Those reports show MPG somewhere between 15.2 and 16.4.  All of those vehicles are not non-stock or lead foot.

To me, that is significantly more trustworthy than a single  anecdotal report.

Car and Driver got 19 overall (not bad) in a 2017.  https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f-150-in-depth-model-review-2017-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-review-car-and-driver-page-3

When MotorTrend did their year long review of the EB after it won truck of the year, it got less than 16 for the year.

I have a 13 FX4 EB SCREW and get 14.9mpg average.   This is combination HW and City.  I just hit 60K.   The only issue I have had was my cam phasers.

Edited by goodmatt78
17 minutes ago, RyanB said:

There are always outliers to everything.  If you are getting 21.5 over the last few thousand miles, you are one of them.  The EcoBoost is a great towing engine, but the vast majority of owners do not report any superiority of MPG over competitive power plants.

Since 2011, Fuelly has data on over 1400 trucks reporting over 25,000,000 miles.  Those reports show MPG somewhere between 15.2 and 16.4.  All of those vehicles are not non-stock or lead foot.

To me, that is significantly more trustworthy than a single  anecdotal report.

Car and Driver got 19 overall (not bad) in a 2017.  https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f-150-in-depth-model-review-2017-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-review-car-and-driver-page-3

When MotorTrend did their year long review of the EB after it won truck of the year, it got less than 16 for the year.

I am in a 2.7 ECO 2015 supercab.  When filtering that sample, I'm in the top half of the bell but am in no way an outlier.  I agree with your points, but just wanted to clarify my motor selection is the smaller of the ecoboosts and that I have the smallest cab and Alu panels for anyone looking at my mpg.  

Edited by Pra4sno
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

I am in a 2.7 ECO 2015 supercab.  When filtering that sample, I'm in the top half of the bell but am in no way an outlier.  I agree with your points, but just wanted to clarify my motor selection is the smaller of the ecoboosts and that I have the smallest cab and Alu panels for anyone looking at my mpg.  

Those numbers are much more believable with the 2.7.

36 minutes ago, DAI said:

All this talk of gas mileage out of a truck, you'd think gas prices were back near $5.00 / gallon again.

17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Nothing says that they won't be in a year

This makes now a good time to buy one because they are not as heavily sought after, maybe can get a better deal.

Its so much fun to drive and if you like the right peddle you are not going to get big fuel economy numbers. But if you are not into boost all the time you should be in the 18mpg or a little better.  Its not that they are not sought its that Ford has the lines running. More Eco's going into many models today then ever.  And if politics don't change things gas prices should stay somewhat stable. 

20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

they appear to be giving the ram ecodiesels away vs their selling prices last year.  laramie eco-d 4x4 crew cabs were $36k ish over the new year.  

If that's the case, I might be looking to buy. I dont prefer the Dodge's due to reliability issues, but I'd take a chance on one for that price.

I'm interested to see what the new Ford diesel does. I also think the 3.5 Eco boost tows great.