Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco Boost Question

NCVride

9 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I don’t think so and when i rsn 87, going up a hill or under any performance situation it would knock, I got away with 89 with little or no knock so I started mixing the Sam’s gas to create an 89 (cheapest 89 in town) when it was expensive gas time 

I know the Rams of the era were susceptible knock if you ran platinum plugs.  My did, so I put conventionals back in and the knock stopped. 

• Like 1

Just bought an .'18 F150 super crew short bed 3.5L EB max tow with 3.55 rear end and 10 speed tranny replacing my old Silverado 2500 6.0L Vortec.   Havent had the boat on it yet, but then I only have 700 miles on it so far.  I test drove a 17 Silverado 6.2L, it was a VERY nice truck, but the tranny in the Ford really is a LOT smoother.   Since that tranny was a joint effort between Ford and GM, I would expect it will start appearing in the Chevy's and GMCs. 

While the F150 is not a high mileage vehicle by any definition, it is better by about 5MPG than the old 2500 for similar use (and the Ford isnt broken in yet).  On the next fill up, I will get a hand calculated number, but the computer is showing 17.8 for mixed city/highway on 87 octane gas.   All the miles are at altitude (>5000).   I do run it in ECO mode around town, it doesnt have the same kick, but I really dont need to take jackrabbit runs between traffic lights.

The real test will be in the spring when I pull the boat up the hill to the lake.   From the research I did (quite a bit), and the people I talked to, this is a great combination, possibly the best 1/2 ton short of a diesel.   I sure hope so...

• Like 1

I have had a number of turbo vehicles and the Eco does not have turbo delay like any other turbo vehicle I have owned or driven. That is the butty of the little power plant. I have pulled some heavy trailers and it out performs any of my tow vehicles other then maybe my old rigs with 460ci big blocks. But then those did not get any fuel economy. No the Eco's don't overwhelm me for fuel economy but its not bad. My new Navigator is getting 18.1 overall. I have been down to 17.1 pulling a big tandem steel equipment trailer empty running 70 / 75mph. Going down state for Christmas with poor road conditions so under 60mph I got 19.3mpg. Hook up a trailer and take one foe a ride you aren't going to know you don't have a big block under the hood. You know its not a diesel no noise or smell! :whistle: They don't have spool up delay.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:18 PM, isellacuras said:

The mileage difference between 65 and 75 in regards to fuel economy is staggering. I did a trip to the coast (i-5 to 41/46 to 101) which is all wide open. I'm with hethj7 on this one. I was hoping to break 20mpg but couldn't crack 19. My trip down was an EASY 70-75 was 18.7. The trip back i wasn't as patient (75-80) and was just under 17. My around town mileage (most of my weekly commute) nets me about 14mpg.  Not bad for a truck but noting eco about it compared to modern day V-8's. The only way i can get 20+ for a prolonged drive is to be at 55mph and that's just not the way i drive. 

I don't feel so bad now owning a Tundra gas guzzler, I got 17 driving to SF last week and have been around 14 around town.  I thought the eco would be much better than my Tundra for fuel economy.  I do have a bed cover on it which might help a tad for better fuel economy.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I don't feel so bad now owning a Tundra gas guzzler, I got 17 driving to SF last week and have been around 14 around town.  I thought the eco would be much better than my Tundra for fuel economy.  I do have a bed cover on it which might help a tad for better fuel economy.

And don't forget your Tundra is lifted and has 4:30 gearing. Do that to any Eco or Hemi and you will be getting same to worse mileage. The 5.7 in the Tundra is one of the best engines out there. I am thinking of putting the TRD supercharger kit on mine to enjoy sub 5 second 0-60 times. 

You ford f-150 EB guys: does your truck squat badly when you hook up your boats? Have any of you put stiffer springs or bags in the rear to help offset this?

10 minutes ago, jaciche said:

You ford f-150 EB guys: does your truck squat badly when you hook up your boats? Have any of you put stiffer springs or bags in the rear to help offset this?

Nope . . . My '14 23 LSV actually levels the factory rake perfectly ('15 F150 Eco Plat, all stock).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tims said:

And don't forget your Tundra is lifted and has 4:30 gearing. Do that to any Eco or Hemi and you will be getting same to worse mileage. The 5.7 in the Tundra is one of the best engines out there. I am thinking of putting the TRD supercharger kit on mine to enjoy sub 5 second 0-60 times. 

Can you define best?  Since when is anything with 10 year old tech the best anything?  No offense.

22 hours ago, Sixball said:

You know its not a diesel no noise or smell! :whistle: They don't have spool up delay.

The new diesels with all the emissions crap are very quiet and do not smell like the old ones. Turbo lag is definitely better as well, but they really respond well to tuners. My last diesel truck that was chipped had zero turbo lag. My current truck finally came out of warranty last year so will be getting tuned before summer. 

2 hours ago, Tims said:

My 18 f150 has 3” lift and 35” tires. My combined mileage is 19 in the dead of winter. I expect a couple mpg better in the summer as all the rest of my f150’s have been. 

Edited by wheelman
1 hour ago, jaciche said:

I have had air bags in all my f150’s, all my trucks actually. Best thing I have done for towing. Have on board compressor and wireless remote to adjust for any weight and can do it on the fly. Truck is always level with any load and is so much more stable to tow and no bouncing up and down making the kids sick on long tows. 

1 hour ago, jaciche said:

Shouldn't need to unless your truck is leveled.  Trucks are designed to squat to level when loaded.

7 hours ago, Fman said:

Pretty sure I'd crack 20 easy on an SF trip. That's a 60-65 mpg drive compared to the 70-75 mph which is slow for I-5. That was kind of my point about 65-75 difference. 

5 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

Pretty sure I'd crack 20 easy on an SF trip. That's a 60-65 mpg drive compared to the 70-75 mph which is slow for I-5. That was kind of my point about 65-75 difference. 

do it from Reno and you'll get 22.  The trip back tho... not so much.

Do you guys take your trucks into the city?

6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

do it from Reno and you'll get 22.  The trip back tho... not so much.

Do you guys take your trucks into the city?

Milwaukee, and when forced, Chicago.  Parking structures get tricky at time (esp Chicago).

I don't but i wouldn't hesitate if i needed to. I usually take Bart from Richmond. I'd rather drive my truck over the jeep or RSX tho. I've taken the RSX to the city but we were 4 deep so it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I'm not small and i had to make room for my kids in the back. I had a cramp in my leg by the time i hit Berkeley. 

4 hours ago, wheelman said:

My 18 f150 has 3” lift and 35” tires. My combined mileage is 19 in the dead of winter. I expect a couple mpg better in the summer as all the rest of my f150’s have been. 

Zzzzzzzzz

5 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Can you define best?  Since when is anything with 10 year old tech the best anything?  No offense.

Reliable, powerful, easy to extract more power.  Did I mention reliable? 

Please elaborate on Mopar tech. Was Fiat able to lift Ram off of the 2016 consumer report 10 worst list yet?

5 hours ago, IXFE said:

C4254EE0-3967-48B8-AA60-F70CCE3D40BA.gif

My favourite movie of all time! Not sure why you think I’d lie? Not trying to impress a bunch of dudes I don’t know.  I can send you a picture of my dash if you like? And I have manually checked it and it’s correct. My previous 4 f150’s that had the gauge of how much fuel had been used were spot on on the calculation so I don’t think they are a lie o meter like people think. 

Now towing is a different story, think I was 6 to 8 mpg last time I towed my boat up through the mountains, but I’m foot to the floor up the huge hills. 

8 hours ago, jaciche said:

Yup, and no, not yet 

9 hours ago, wheelman said:

My favourite movie of all time! Not sure why you think I’d lie? Not trying to impress a bunch of dudes I don’t know.  I can send you a picture of my dash if you like? And I have manually checked it and it’s correct. My previous 4 f150’s that had the gauge of how much fuel had been used were spot on on the calculation so I don’t think they are a lie o meter like people think. 

Now towing is a different story, think I was 6 to 8 mpg last time I towed my boat up through the mountains, but I’m foot to the floor up the huge hills. 

My '15 MPG calcs done by the truck are consistently 5%-8% optimistic when not towing.  Towing it's much closer.  I reset trip 2 on every fill up and the fuel consumed it always lower than the pump through 50,000 miles.  My 2 previous Yukon Denali's with the 6.2lt were also optimistic, but not quite as bad.