Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eco Boost Question

NCVride

Looking at possibly buying a F-150 to replace my Silverado I just sold.  I have been looking at 2013-2015 F-150's.   Service manager at the Ford place said he would stay away from Eco Boosts as some of them have to have the turbos redone around 120-130K miles.  Figured I'd ask the crew if anyone else has read or heard the same thing

So, a Ford service manager is telling you about a common problem he sees and you want to double check his advice with one off anecdotal information? 😅 

The question you need to ask the service manager is - what is the bill if you are unlucky enough to need a new turbo.  The ecoboost may be a fine engine, but it is more complicated than a good old v8 and has more failure points.

Edited by oldjeep

Traded my 2013 Ecoboost with just under 150k. No problems. My service manager said he has seen Ecoboosts with 400k and no issues. I bought a new 2017 to replace it! Ecoboost, IMO, is the best gas towing engine available.

• Like 1

Guy at work just had one of his turbos go out with 95k on it. Caused the timing chain to jump and caused some other damage internally. 5k bill to fix it. He was going to trade it in on a new one that week. He's driving the old one for a while.

I wonder how many of these turbo failures were caused by doing induction cleaning.  My dealer offers an induction cleaning from BG, but I never did it. I read that it overheats the turbos and causes failures when they burn off the carbon. 

I had a 2014 F-150 with  3.5 EB.   Like 72k miles I took it in because my work fleet mechanic broke a plug amd dropped porcelain into the cylinder.  Ford tuned it on blew the piece out of the engine, but then told me I needed a new engine.  Long story short Nothing to do with a damaged cylinder, but they reved it for me and showed me a bad rod bearing that you could hear.  12k for a new engine slightly out of warranty.  Needless to say I went straight to the GM.  He took the truck no questions asked and let me pick a 2017 with the 2nd gen 3.5 and 10 speed trans and just restarted my 60 month term.  I heard about this carbon problem on th 2017 2nd gen engine they did port and direct injection to deal with this issue.  I can say they made me happy with the solution.  But you need a dealer relationship to get it done.  Nobody but them touch my new one.

That Town & Country video makes me laugh.  I don't doubt the 5.0L is a less complicated motor, and I love V8's as much as the next guy.  But at least half those guys picked the 5.0L over the Eco because of a belief that the V8 is more powerful.  Listen to the 3rd guy who answered: "towing capacity and torque" as the reason he likes the 5.0L over the Eco.  Haha!  I wonder if that kid has ever towed with either of them. My favorite guy was #7 who exclaimed with gusto, "5.0, yes I would. I want the power! I want the power to be towing.  If I'm towing a 9500lb. trailer, I want something I can pull it with" 

#8 was just flat out wrong.  "You gotta be on the boost (I think he means gas), all the time, just to get the power."   Ummm, no.  Look at the torque curve.  The 5.0L takes alot more throttle to get to peak torque.

There are a lot of reasons I like the 5.0L over the Eco, but towing is not one of them. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

When My truck was getting serviced, the shop manager let me use his 5.0 F150 until mine was ready, I though something was wrong with it, What a pooch...Eco Boost all the way and I have had 2 Now! Best towing rig I have owned, And was recomended by a Ford Master mechanic...LOL 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, IXFE said:

#8 was just flat out wrong.  "You gotta be on the boost (I think he means gas), all the time, just to get the power."   Ummm, no.  Look at the torque curve.  The 5.0L takes alot more throttle to get to peak torque.

I'm pretty sure he means boost.  Pretty much all torque/horsepower curves are at full throttle, throughout the RPM range.  The reason the 3.5l make more torque at low RPM is because of boost, without the boost it would be the same as a non-turbocharged 3.5l.  If I had to guess, that's what the other guys were referring to also, to get power out of the 6, you need to spool up the turbo, and they don't like towing boosted all time.

Granted mine is a 2012 and things have changed a bit, but we demo'd the 5.0 and EB back to back.    I would have loved to pick the 5.0, but the low RPM availability of power on the EB was undeniable and I loved that feel.  Honestly, it reminded me of the mid-90s Powerstroke diesels.  I don't know what the torque curves on them are/were, but it reminded of diesel power.  Of course, the new diesels blow the EB away, but I bet it specs out pretty good compared to some of the diesels I remember growing up.   

26 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Granted mine is a 2012 and things have changed a bit, but we demo'd the 5.0 and EB back to back.    I would have loved to pick the 5.0, but the low RPM availability of power on the EB was undeniable and I loved that feel.  Honestly, it reminded me of the mid-90s Powerstroke diesels.  I don't know what the torque curves on them are/were, but it reminded of diesel power.  Of course, the new diesels blow the EB away, but I bet it specs out pretty good compared to some of the diesels I remember growing up.   

Going directly from a tuned 7.3 (01 Excursion) to a 3.5 EB (14 F150), the EB is very very impressive.  Pulls harder, you can hear yourself think, and the bow cushions aren't filthy with soot every time you tow.

And unloaded on the highway its a dream.  I got 19.5 each way from Reno to Vegas last weekend on winter blend gas.  300 miles of that is 2 lane road where you have to pass semis.  The passing power is unreal.  I come from the "pedal to the floor and don't back off till you are around" school of passing, and the truck would easily be going 90-95 every time I passed a 68mph semi.  

Edited by shawndoggy

What speed are you running getting 19.5 mpg?   I have got as high as 22 running 55 MPH with no wind, but reality is my readout usually reads about 16 MPG (granted, next to zero highway miles) and the instantaneous readout on the dash is usually 16.5-17 MPG running on the highway, at like 75 MPH.   

I love the EB overall, but haven't seen much of the "ECO" part of it and I don't think I run my vehicle all that hard.    It does do about 1-2 MPG better than the 5.4 I had before it under the same conditions.   

I had a hesitation pop up around 55,000 miles and got new plugs.  It fixed the hesitation and I thought maybe the mileage would come back up a better, but can't say that it did.  

My '17 readout says 17.4 mpg right now, and that includes daily remote starts in the morning for a warm-up and all city driving. I easily average 18+mpg combined highway and city. 

39 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

What speed are you running getting 19.5 mpg?   I have got as high as 22 running 55 MPH with no wind, but reality is my readout usually reads about 16 MPG (granted, next to zero highway miles) and the instantaneous readout on the dash is usually 16.5-17 MPG running on the highway, at like 75 MPH.   

I love the EB overall, but haven't seen much of the "ECO" part of it and I don't think I run my vehicle all that hard.    It does do about 1-2 MPG better than the 5.4 I had before it under the same conditions.   

I had a hesitation pop up around 55,000 miles and got new plugs.  It fixed the hesitation and I thought maybe the mileage would come back up a better, but can't say that it did.  

low 70s... under 75.  This particular drive isn't one that lends itself to prolonged high speed cruising, not to mention that there can be longish periods where faster moving traffic gets backed up behind a semi while everyone takes there turn passing.  80E to salt lake is a different story (speed limit 75 in NV and 80 in UT), but haven't driven that one yet.  

Is yours lifted or leveled?  Stock wheels and tires?  Mine is bone stock in both respects.  I'd really consider lowering mine by a few inches (which should help fuel economy) if I didn't have such a shallow ramp at my lake.  As it is I have to put the trailer on very deep, so don't want to compromise in that regard.

Around town I'm more like 15-15.5.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Bone stock for me.  I do have the 3.55 gears (if I recall correctly), screw 4x4 configuration.   Maybe my blended 16-16.5 isn’t too bad considering my drive to work is like 7 miles of city streets each day.  No real complaints as it has been a nice truck overall and like our boats, I didn’t really buy it expecting to sip fuel.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MadMan said:

I'm pretty sure he means boost.  Pretty much all torque/horsepower curves are at full throttle, throughout the RPM range.  The reason the 3.5l make more torque at low RPM is because of boost, without the boost it would be the same as a non-turbocharged 3.5l.  If I had to guess, that's what the other guys were referring to also, to get power out of the 6, you need to spool up the turbo, and they don't like towing boosted all time.

First, I want to thank you for the lesson in how forced induction engines make power.  I always wondered where all that power came from in my Ecoboost.  I just figured it was pixie dust.  

Joking aside, I'll give that tech the benefit of the doubt and assume he really meant boost.  But let's examine that statement for a bit.  

"You gotta be on the boost all the time, just to get the power."

The way he says it makes it sound like YOU (i.e. the driver) have a choice about being on boost or not.  Last I checked, there is no "boost button" on the dash or "go baby" button on the shifter. That's what made me think he meant accelerator pedal.  That's about the only thing you have a choice to "be on" or not in these trucks. 

And I have to laugh at the statement "...just to get the power."  He says it as if the 5.0L makes that same power only without boost.  But what he doesn't acknowledge is "the power" he speaks of doesn't exist anywhere in the 5.0's torque curve.  The EB makes more power at 2000 rpm than the 5.0 makes at it's peak!  The reason I call BS on that entire video is not one of the guys acknowledges that little fact.   

So I would say it this way.  "If you want simplicity and that nasty V8 growl, get the 5.0L.  If you want instant torque (i.e. for towing) and enjoy quiet speed get the Ecoboost."

full-14237-18067-austincobra_albums_ecob

• Like 1

Ecoboost so far has been good...trans has not.  

Major recalls on 2012-2014 for shifting into first causing loss of control.

I have a 2015 and was getting 22mpg.  Now it's in shop at 30k getting the trans rebuilt after they found the aux. Trans pump wasn't working.  Tech tried to fix it and damaged the casing so it's out and being replaced.  

I've been getting 25mpg in an explorer loaner for over 30 days because they can't figure out how to order the right parts to fix my truck.  

Edited by Pra4sno
53 minutes ago, IXFE said:

First, I want to thank you for the lesson in how forced induction engines make power.  I always wondered where all that power came from in my Ecoboost.  I just figured it was pixie dust.  

Joking aside, I'll give that tech the benefit of the doubt and assume he really meant boost.  But let's examine that statement for a bit.  

"You gotta be on the boost all the time, just to get the power."

The way he says it makes it sound like YOU (i.e. the driver) have a choice about being on boost or not.  Last I checked, there is no "boost button" on the dash or "go baby" button on the shifter. That's what made me think he meant accelerator pedal.  That's about the only thing you have a choice to "be on" or not in these trucks. 

And I have to laugh at the statement "...just to get the power."  He says it as if the 5.0L makes that same power only without boost.  But what he doesn't acknowledge is "the power" he speaks of doesn't exist anywhere in the 5.0's torque curve.  The EB makes more power at 2000 rpm than the 5.0 makes at it's peak!  The reason I call BS on that entire video is not one of the guys acknowledges that little fact.   

So I would say it this way.  "If you want simplicity and that nasty V8 growl, get the 5.0L.  If you want instant torque (i.e. for towing) and enjoy quiet speed get the Ecoboost."

full-14237-18067-austincobra_albums_ecob

SO from the picture we can see that torque curves on ford engines are pretty peaky    This is a 5.7L Hemi

horsepower-torque-57.jpg

I’m loving the 2.7, I don’t drive mountains but I expect burning plenty fuel it would do the job, I get a combined 16 doing weekend towing and in city weekly driving , I don’t let it climb up big ramps or tall  bridges on cruise control towing as that really ruins the mileage for short hwy boat trip, 

i do like watching it perform on CC, I just don’t like letting that piece of performance ruin the overall mileage 

was impressed with it slowing me down with transmission on down slope of a big Mississippi River bridge in tow mode

will smoke the tires off the truck if I take off tcs and slam it ftom standing start in sport mode, I have the 3.73 rear so real nice to tow with Power to spare from 0-60 and i have tomuse cruise or I end up running 70+ with boat and I’m really not wsnting to shred my cover towing with it 

never been to the dark side before snd I’m not coming back, my 1st ford and I’m thrilled

18-21 at 68-75mph hwy, 2wheel dr stock non premium rims and tires on an xlt, if no boating I get just under the advertised 19 city, I drive slower these days

they should have made the 2.7 EB 6 the base mustang engine instead of that 2.4 4 cyl single turbo , with a manual tranny and that motor and you get a fun economical andnpowerful cheap mustang, wife wouldn’t hear of the 2.4 and thought it was a dog coming from her 2002 LS1 5.7

Edited by granddaddy55
18 hours ago, oldjeep said:

SO from the picture we can see that torque curves on ford engines are pretty peaky    This is a 5.7L Hemi

horsepower-torque-57.jpg

Yep, that torque curve looks better than the Fords'.