Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phase 5 LTD Models worth the premium?

Kblagg

Anyone have any experience with the Phase 5 LTD models? Looks like the main difference is that they use "LTD CudaSkin + Technora Layup" vs "GatorSkin Carbon Layup". Is it worth the extra $100? How does Cudaskin diffe from Gatorskin?

I think you got the answers on FB.  I don't know the skin differences, but the P5 rep here confirmed the limited is stiffer.    I'm not a great rider so can't say that I can tell, but he and others claim they can.    

If your talking about the skin on my Ahi, I think that is cuda skin?

it makes it extremely durable, very hard to nick it in any way including whacking the board against metal, if it were to hit swim platform it would not get damaged , even the bottom of that Board that doesn’t have the skin is durable 

the front pad on it is durable but slightly slippery when going for tricks, wax pad applica I have on my asym Brigade would be much better - but the brigade is extremely easy to nick without said construction reinforcement 

love both boards, Ahi more, cause it’s great on any wave in any boat

after reading post above and the “stiffness” comment, are you asking about wakeboards or surfboards ?

Edited by granddaddy55

The stiffer the better but when you get into the higher end products you start to pay a lot more for small gains in performance. 

If you would like to build a quiver of boards skip the extra cost and put it to use on another board.  If this is going to be a board you plan on riding exclusively all season and possibly multiple seasons then go for the upgrade. 

Edited by vanamp
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, vanamp said:

The stiffer the better but when you get into the higher end products you start to pay a lot more for small gains in performance. 

If you would like to build a quiver of boards skip the extra cost and put it to use on another board.  If this is going to be a board you plan on riding exclusively all season and possibly multiple seasons then go for the upgrade. 

I'm hoping that this will be the last board purchase for a while.  

Famous last words.....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kblagg said:

Thinking hard  about the Hammerhead Ltd but the the new MVP has me intrigued too. 

My general rule of thumb is bigger heavier people will benefit from the snub nose boards because they ride a little more like a longer board and are faster.  I moved to the hammer head last year because I'm 6' 1" 200lbs.  It's screaming fast.  I would not put a beginner on it. 

I think the Hammerhead is a snub nose version of the p5 diamond. 

I'm not sure how the thicker core of the MVP would effect the ride but I would assume it would slow it down a bit. Not a bad thing as the extra thickness will help give you push. 

Few questions:

What boat are you surfing /how big is your wave? 

What's you're skill level? 

What's your size? 

21 hours ago, vanamp said:

Few questions:

What boat are you surfing /how big is your wave? 25LSV

What's you're skill level? intermediate I guess, I'm not going to be winning any tournaments anytime soon.  I feel I do pretty good for only surfing for a year.

What's your size? 5'10/225

inline

I have not ridden an MVP but if I were in your shoes I would go with the Hammerhead. 

Another thing you can do to help  chose is: The MVP is John Akerman board and the hammer head is Drew Danielle's board (he also rides a diamond). Watch both ride and see who's style is most like yours. 

Edited by vanamp
  • 2 weeks later...

Santa came today, albeit a bit late....Ended up getting the HH LTD model.  Kinda disappointed that the sticker on the board had a different weight range than the website had so I could have went with a shorter board.  In either case, the board will still outperform me and the 2" difference isn't going to be a big deal.

y4m7TITgGRHYXDiKHAw2K-eF40_TSrHm3X0a4pWR

y4mbuS4w46ieQWjqeQIkGjVjkczNtSP8BOHoMcRe

y4mdUdbiPlYpIxLDSGD-7jBF7eU5AuficoU5032B

y4mUTVywQkF2kM1HocNraaxygQzHirJb-jH_AUov

Edited by Kblagg
  • Like 2

Did you get the 55" instead of the 53"?  I weigh about 215, own the 55", wish I had the 53.  There is a difference.  And IMO it's significant.  If it's still unused P5 will probably exchange it for you.

3 hours ago, Sixer said:

Did you get the 55" instead of the 53"?  I weigh about 215, own the 55", wish I had the 53.  There is a difference.  And IMO it's significant.  If it's still unused P5 will probably exchange it for you.

I did get the 55.  I can swap it out if need be.  That was my biggest concern.  I'm currently at 220 so I was nervous about the 53.

2 hours ago, Rceider said:

@Kblagg what sizes does the sticker say?

I'm out of town travelling for work.  I'll take a picture of it when I get home.  

5 hours ago, Kblagg said:

The Phase 5 website shows the 53 at 200 and the 55 at 225lbs.  That's why I opted for the 55.

https://shop.phase5boards.com/collections/2018-boards/products/phase-five-2018-hammerhead-wake-skimboard

Don't get me wrong, the 55 isn't a bad board at all.  You can definitely feel the bigger size of it though.  I'm not an awesome surfer by any means, but I can surf easily on the 53.  In comparison of the two, the 53 is easier to maneuver, and a little faster.  If you are attempting to do tricks, the 53 will be more agile.  The 55 is a bit more buoyant.  I'm 6'4, so I thought with my height I'd need the extra length due to my wider than average stance.  After riding both back to back (numerous times) I personally wish I had gone with the 53.  Again, I really do like the 55, and if I rode just that it would be a great board, no doubt.  Maybe it's just a personal preference thing, but my wave isn't as big as yours is either, so maybe a more nimble board is better behind my boat.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, Kblagg said:

The Phase 5 website shows the 53 at 200 and the 55 at 225lbs.  That's why I opted for the 55.

https://shop.phase5boards.com/collections/2018-boards/products/phase-five-2018-hammerhead-wake-skimboard

Based solely off your weight you made the right choice. More advanced riders can get away with a smaller board being hevier because of technique but baed off what you have said I think the 55" is up your alley size wise.