Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring dia gram and ws mc1

kwebster1

Hey guys. I just picked up the new wetsounds mc1. I'm working on the install and had a few questions. On the factory side plug of the boat that controlled the old black box, I see 2 black, 2 yellow, 2 blue, and 2 white and blue that I believe I need to get wired into the ws harness. Anyone know which the power, accessory, and ground is? Black I'm sure I ground. Unsure of the others. Also curious if it is possible from this point to wire the new head unit to be able to turn on without all of the boat power on as well for when we are sitting in the cove. Would it make that much difference for power consumption to wire it that way?

thanks!

Google the wire diag for the black box. then see what the wire color is for each circuit is on the other side of the square opaque connector. The Black Box will use industry standard wire colors on its harness, even though Malibu changes the colors on circuits on the boat side of the harness. 

Yes, you can power up just the stereo. Just need to provide the IGN turn-on manually.  

My latest update,

Got the wiring figured out. Actually used part if the old Blackbox harness since, like mla said, the wires match. Thus far haven't run it to function without the actual boat on, but winter is still here for a while...

Things I learned

1 the stock ws wire from remote to bb is not lon enough for the stock location of the bb to be used. I ended up sliding an amp down a little bit and put the bb as far forward on the amp rack as I could. Kind of a pia but not too big of a deal. Ws did say they will have extension cables here soon, as well as the transom remote.

2 on my boat, when I took out the Fosgate remote on the dash, I had a big hole there and no way to mount the new ws remote. I ended up using some left over hdpe I had from the stock sub box to basically create a plate on the insidr if the dash just larger than the remote hole that was screwed in as a filler. Then drilled a hole in the middle of the plate to mount the ws remote. 

Overall I love the setup. I'm probably just making stuff up in my head, but I think it wounds better than stock and I did have the ws420 before, which has been removed since my main reason for having was for controlling tower, boat, and sub volumes which the mc1 now does. The functionality is great. The Bluetooth is amazing. I've been as far as 75ft away from the boat and still had full control from my phone. I'll keep everyone posted when the transom remote comes in and how that install goes. 

Glad your liking it so far. I'm stilling waiting on my boat to come back from the dealer to install mine. I'm using carbon fiber sheet to make a trim plate as the 17 Axis boats have molded trim ring that matches the factory HU. 

53 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Glad your liking it so far. I'm stilling waiting on my boat to come back from the dealer to install mine. I'm using carbon fiber sheet to make a trim plate as the 17 Axis boats have molded trim ring that matches the factory HU. 

I'd be curious to see what you are talking about. It doesn't look bad without trim rings but could look a little more factory. It is significantly larger than the fosgate. Barely fits in the whole section where the radio was on the dash on my 14.

• 1 month later...

I got my MC1 installed yesterday and am amazed at the improved sound quality. I gave up waiting for WS to get the extension cable in and purchased (IMC Audio

30FT 13PIN MIDI CABLE ROLAND GR33 GR20 GR30 GR VG 20 33 PLANET WAVES) from Amazon for 18 bucks and used butt connectors to connect the wires. I had to map out the wire to pin locations. Let me know if you need that. I'm thinking of doing something similar to you but will use Plexiglas to cover the prior hole. I wired mine so the stereo will work with the boat off. That way I can save a little bit of battery when stopped and listening to music. 

7 hours ago, noquams said:

I got my MC1 installed yesterday and am amazed at the improved sound quality. I gave up waiting for WS to get the extension cable in and purchased (IMC Audio

30FT 13PIN MIDI CABLE ROLAND GR33 GR20 GR30 GR VG 20 33 PLANET WAVES) from Amazon for 18 bucks and used butt connectors to connect the wires. I had to map out the wire to pin locations. Let me know if you need that. I'm thinking of doing something similar to you but will use Plexiglas to cover the prior hole. I wired mine so the stereo will work with the boat off. That way I can save a little bit of battery when stopped and listening to music. 

Can you take some pics and let me know how you wired it to run with boat off? 

I gave up on waiting for cable as well, I ended up moving the Blackbox forward on the amp board so it will reach. I really wish they would make the original cable about 3 ft longer. 

Anyone have input on when the transom remote will be available? I didn't realize they weren't ready until I had already bought and installed the mc1.