Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sound Reasonable ?

7 hours ago, SkiPablo said:

Hi Nitrousbird, Do you know what Jeg's cut to length wires I should get - I'm going to replace my wires b/c I'm getting some hesitation now pretty regularly - feels electrical

Wires:  https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40205/10002/-1

Stripper/Crimper I used:  https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/3503/10002/-1

They make nicer stripper/crimpers.  It works but I don't love it.

The wires above don't say "resistance" or "solid core". How do we tell?

When you say PP, you don't mean the factory cruise control do you? Is the factory cruise affected by solid core wires?

45 minutes ago, JasonK said:

The wires above don't say "resistance" or "solid core". How do we tell?

When you say PP, you don't mean the factory cruise control do you? Is the factory cruise affected by solid core wires?

Solid core wires are very rare.  Those state "RFI Suppression" and that's what you want.

Basically everything electronic is effected by solid core wires.  It was the "hard-core" race only wire in the '60s.

yes I got the new cables and they are RFI suppression :)   But that was the most frustating install I've ever done on a motor.  Took me about 5 hours b/c there is basically no room to get the ends on to the coils.    7 and 8 are easy b/c they are past the exchaust manifolds,  1 and 2 take some finese.  3 and 4 will make you cuss.   There is no way in heck 5 and 6 would go on so I had to remove those coils to get them on.  Coil 6 was 1/16th of a turn at a time with a box wrench.  It's a really bad design on the LS1 b/c there is only about 1" from the end of the coil to the manifolds.   I hope these wires last at least 10  years b/c that was no fun.

But I did take the boat out yesterday and I didn't get any hesitation in my short test, so I think it was worth it.  :thumbup:

Edited by SkiPablo
  • Like 2
On 10/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, SkiPablo said:

yes I got the new cables and they are RFI suppression :)   But that was the most frustating install I've ever done on a motor.  Took me about 5 hours b/c there is basically no room to get the ends on to the coils.    7 and 8 are easy b/c they are past the exchaust manifolds,  1 and 2 take some finese.  3 and 4 will make you cuss.   There is no way in heck 5 and 6 would go on so I had to remove those coils to get them on.  Coil 6 was 1/16th of a turn at a time with a box wrench.  It's a really bad design on the LS1 b/c there is only about 1" from the end of the coil to the manifolds.   I hope these wires last at least 10  years b/c that was no fun.

But I did take the boat out yesterday and I didn't get any hesitation in my short test, so I think it was worth it.  :thumbup:

Post a picture of your coil setup.  Mine are not hard at all to change out.  Making the wires is the long part; no biggie installing them.  I'm guessing the setup is different on the direct drives than the Vdrives for coil placement.

Edited by Nitrousbird