Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading to plug and play

stewtex2011

Hi everyone, I have been hit with the wakesurfing bug and this past summer was very exciting with my 08 Malibu 23LSV. I have 750's in each rear locker and I am not complaining but filling up manually each time is painful. Any ideas out there to chain these bags up for potential auto fill? 

If you're going to DIY it, there's quite a few threads on here with similar mods but the picture links are usually broken because of photobucket issues.

I went with two reversible pumps on my 2008, and then added a diverter valve to run a bow line for a bow or walkway bag.

If you go with one pump and just Y off it, you can use the existing T-plug hole but that will slow you down a bit to fill and drain two bags through the smaller hole. Both of my pumps are on dedicated thru-hulls, so it's quite a bit quicker but also more expensive, and it will take more time to install. My fill time is about 5 minutes, and drain is 6 minutes or so, and I'm very happy with the setup.

IMG_7117.JPG

Bow fill line.JPG

Reversible_pumps.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

• Like 3

I did mine almost exactly like NWBU and have been happy.  I think two thru hulls are the way to go.  One thing not mentioned though is the power block that helps with multiple pumps.

https://cdn.wakemakers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/192x192/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/4/n4pRWaAmv6y0eh1lviYjO8T9SWDvHp8m-1_1.jpg

n4pRWaAmv6y0eh1lviYjO8T9SWDvHp8m-1_1.jpg

You will eventually want the bow weight and this way you only need one Y.

If you become a crew supporter you will get the Wakemakers discount which helps.

• 7 months later...
On 12/26/2017 at 8:00 PM, NWBU said:

If you're going to DIY it, there's quite a few threads on here with similar mods but the picture links are usually broken because of photobucket issues.

I went with two reversible pumps on my 2008, and then added a diverter valve to run a bow line for a bow or walkway bag.

If you go with one pump and just Y off it, you can use the existing T-plug hole but that will slow you down a bit to fill and drain two bags through the smaller hole. Both of my pumps are on dedicated thru-hulls, so it's quite a bit quicker but also more expensive, and it will take more time to install. My fill time is about 5 minutes, and drain is 6 minutes or so, and I'm very happy with the setup.

IMG_7117.JPG

Bow fill line.JPG

Reversible_pumps.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

Is that a 3/4" through hull or 1"?  what size (GPM) are the reversible pumps you put in?

1 minute ago, NWBU said:

1” thru hulls and I don’t recall the GPM but they’re the Wakemaker pumps.

1" ballast piping as well?? for fill and drain?  Also, where did you get that diverter valve and does the bow bag drain effectively with the reversible pump??  

Smart set up you put in there!  

14 minutes ago, NiftyNeud said:

Anybody know how long the pumps will run without killing the battery?

Depends on the pump and how many. An impeller pump will die from running dry before a battery will go dead. An aerator can run for a day before the battery goes dead. 3-4 aerators could run for hours before a good battery gets low. 

19 minutes ago, NiftyNeud said:

Is that a 3/4" through hull or 1"?  what size (GPM) are the reversible pumps you put in?

Its the Johnson Ultra Ballast @ 720 GPH. 

for fill and drain?  

Reversible pump plumbing serves as both

Edited by MLA
1 hour ago, NiftyNeud said:

Also, where did you get that diverter valve and does the bow bag drain effectively with the reversible pump??  

Smart set up you put in there!  

Yes, the bow bag drained well with that setup. Here’s the valve- http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Water_Waste_Valves-Forespar_Marelon_Y_Valves.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrj77NXt3AIVgb9kCh0CyQe_EAQYCiABEgIwhPD_BwE