Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing impeller for oil change warm up?

SummerSunsetter

she is currently sitting in a barn, and I am chipping away at winterization, and some maintenance. Oil change is next, can I simply undo the belt that turns the impeller to warm the oil? All the plugs are out also to prevent freezing problems. Run motor for a few minutes, or to operating temp? I seems this would work. Has anyone tried this. Does anyone foresee problems?

I have to pump the oil out,  easier if oil is warm. I don't have a fake a lake. I want to unhook the impeller to avoid ruining it. Just trying to find a way to heat the oil to make it easier to pump. 

ahopkins22LSV

You won't have water in the system for the temp sensor to read so you won't know when the boat is at temp.

Why do you have to pump the oil out? 

Fake lakes are like $20-30. Order on Amazon and have it in a few days. https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushrite-Flusher-Inboard-Adjustable/dp/B000MTB832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514049842&sr=8-1&keywords=fake+lake

Just now, SummerSunsetter said:

I have a direct drive mid-mount. No room under oil pan to get tools, or a tub to catch oil. I have to pump it out of the dipstick. 

There actually is enough room to get plug out but you have to let oil run out bilge drain.  Do yourself a favor and add an oil drain hose.  I added one to my inlaws lxi a couple years ago and it is well worth the effort to install.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rednucleus said:

Running the motor w/o cooling will likely do great harm by the time you find the oil is warm. Remember motors do not heat equally and some areas will quickly hit destructive temperatures w/o cooling. I would be particularly concerned with exhaust manifolds for example.

those rubber exhaust hoses are not going to fare will well w/o cooling also

Edited by tvano
fat fingered
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, MadMan said:

You'd probably be better off not changing the oil than running it without any cooling.

Yep I’d rather wait until spring to warm it up in the lake and change the oil now with running dry as the method of choice. 

1 hour ago, SummerSunsetter said:

Glad I asked, Sounds like another one of my horrible ideas. 

I'l go for a port-o-flush.

Thanks everyone, have a great holiday. 

You sir, are a very wise individual! You asked 1st, vs posting about the disaster after the fact. Who knows, you may have saved many boat motors for others today. Guaranteed you are not the first to have this idea. This topic may be your best Christmas gift of 2017!!

Red

• Like 2

Did not read all the replies, but hate to say it, you are past doing an oil change if the system is drain of water and water plugs are out. Wait til spring. Why, one might ask? Because you really need to run the engine after the new filter is on and the new oil is in. This A) circulates fresh new oil through out the engine, B) Lets you check for oil pressure and leaks. C) lets you get an accurate level check once down. 

Just now, MLA said:

Did not read all the replies, but hate to say it, you are past doing an oil change if the system is drain of water and water plugs are out. Wait til spring. Why, one might ask? Because you really need to run the engine after the new filter is on and the new oil is in. This A) circulates fresh new oil through out the engine, B) Lets you check for oil pressure and leaks. C) lets you get an accurate level check once down. 

I've never run an engine during winterizing.  Drain it, change the oil, give it a kiss goodnight and put the cover on.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, SummerSunsetter said:

Glad I asked, Sounds like another one of my horrible ideas. 

I'l go for a port-o-flush.

Thanks everyone, have a great holiday. 

Also, give Bake’s online a call. They should be able to get you the parts to install a drain hose to your oil pan so you can just run the hose through your center drain plug then drain into an oil pan. 

i agree about adding the hose to your drain - that is great - this was my 1st year with an inboard and it was a snap b/c of that.

Like some have said you don't need to heat the oil to drain it.    I did my oil change twice this year and the 1st time I ran it on the hose for 5 minutes and it really didn't get the oil that warm, so the 2nd time I just did it cold. 

It's also easy enough to get out and run the boat and just drain the oil after. 

I get about a 1/2 cup more oil out of the block when it's hot than cold.  Not going to make much of a difference on our fast oil change schedules