Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade Wetsounds Revo 6's or 650's

Wilbur

I want to upgrade my cabin speakers and I currently have a HT6 running my XS-65i speakers and my XS-10FA sub in a small box behind the stock baffle, below the dash. I also have a HT2 running my four Icon 8's on the tower.

My sub doesn't sound that great, so I'm thinking of selling it, along with my cabin speakers, and upgrading my cabin speakers to the XS-650s and having my HT6 running all six of those. Then I can pick up a new sub and separate amp for it.

I could upgrade to the 650s for pretty cheap after selling my sub and 65i's, or I could drop more coin and upgrade to the Revo 6's.

The question. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Revo's instead of the 650's, or is the sound difference not worth the extra money?

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My sub doesn't sound that great,

my XS-10FA sub in a small box behind the stock baffle, below the dash.

Almost as predictable as dawn. Great 10" woofer, poor execution. Since you are in the upgrade mode, move up to a 12" and address the enclosure and alignment concerns, and you will gain both output and bass depth. 

The question. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Revo's instead of the 650's, or is the sound difference not worth the extra money?

The XS-650 was a great speaker, but hearing them side by side with the same wattage and tune, yes, the difference is tremendous.Also going from 75W rms to 110 will help by moving the woofer to its own amp. 

• 3 weeks later...

A little update in case anyone else is interested in updating.

I went with the Revo 6's because I found a screaming deal 

I ended up having to re wire all six speakers in my boat, because 4 of the cabin speakers were piggy backed off of each other, but the Revo 6's with 100w sound awesome. 

Now I just need to find an amp and sub to complete my system.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same thing. I put 6 revo 6s into my A22 in the old 65i spots. I installed a pair in of 65is the dash, which required some cutting. For someone looking for o do the same, you can get revo6s for the same price as 650s. 

I kept the same setup for the wiring. The back cabin speakers running off two channels will run at 2 ohms at 150w per channel so you don’t pick up all that much from giving them their own channel at 110 watts. You can’t even turn up the gains on the revo 6s with two running at 150 watts. This allowed me to piggy back the dash speakers off the front speakers and keep the last channel open for the sub.

I installed the 10 FA sub into a box and placed it under the seat and had a custom built ported 12 HP installed where the 10 was. The HT 2 that ran the tower speakers now runs the 12 at 2 ohms 575 Watts. 

I bought a syn dx2 for the tower speakers so they have a little more power than the ht2 and seem to perform better with a better amp. I think the HT 2 is way underpowered for 4 icon 8s. 

My boat sounds like a different beast now, definitely much happier. I really disliked the stock sound pack 2. 

7 hours ago, VxPilot said:

I bought a syn dx2 for the tower speakers so they have a little more power than the ht2 and seem to perform better with a better amp. I think the HT 2 is way underpowered for 4 icon 8s. 

My boat sounds like a different beast now, definitely much happier. I really disliked the stock sound pack 2. 

I have SP2 and am wanting to do something similar once I determine which 12inch sub I would to go with to hook up to the HTX2 amp that is currently running the 2 pairs of icons.  

I am curious... you went with the Syn DX2 and could tell a sizeable difference on the towers? I am between that and the Syn DX2.3hp but figured the 2.3 may be overkill for the icons.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:10 PM, MLA said:

Actually, each is receiving 75W. So with each speaker on own chnl, 110 is a 45% increase. 

Yes I understand the math. The point was that you don’t gain much in terms of overall loudness or performance from giving them 110w a piece. You pick up much more adding another set of speakers to the cabin. 

20 hours ago, Jasvols83 said:

I have SP2 and am wanting to do something similar once I determine which 12inch sub I would to go with to hook up to the HTX2 amp that is currently running the 2 pairs of icons.  

I am curious... you went with the Syn DX2 and could tell a sizeable difference on the towers? I am between that and the Syn DX2.3hp but figured the 2.3 may be overkill for the icons.

It’s hard to say. I think I mostly went syn dx 2 for the price. If you ever had motivation to upgrade to rev 10s or something you probably want something more powerful. In my opinion I think the syn dx 2 makes the bass better on the towers. I have yet to ride behind my boat this season so that will tell me for sure if the sound out of the icons is better. 

I think that the syn dx just runs a cleaner signal than the HT2 ( totally guessing). The kicker headunit is also starts sending a pretty distorted signal above 70% volume, or so the guy who built my box said. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 9:10 PM, MLA said:

Almost as predictable as dawn. Great 10" woofer, poor execution. Since you are in the upgrade mode, move up to a 12" and address the enclosure and alignment concerns, and you will gain both output and bass depth.

Can you be more specific?  What do you think he did wrong with that 10" woofer?

@ThingFish

The XS-10fa is best suited for an infinite-baffle/free-air installation. Having that large air space behind it will allow it to perform at its best. Can it be placed in a small sealed or ported enclosure? Sure. Next up is that flexy plastic tub that Axis uses. Even with some reinforcement, you can still get some resonance. Finally, the factory turning if its never been re-tuned.