Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does VLX fit in garage door?

dalt1

I am currently trying to buy an 05 or 06 VLX. I need to know if it will go in my garage with a stock 7 foot high door? Looks Like the Titan 3 tower is higher than the Illusion when they are folded. Any help will be appreciated. I want to become a Malibu owner. I have 83" to use to get the boat in with the tower folded. I can't stand to leve my boat outside all the time.

Denny

I think the best thing for you to do is just try it. I know for me when I bought a new truck with a higher suspension it made a big difference. I started off having 6" from the tower (swoop) to the top of the door. I do know the Illusion tower and 05 vlx will fit into a 2 car garage.

I am currently trying to buy an 05 or 06 VLX. I need to know if it will go in my garage with a stock 7 foot high door? Looks Like the Titan 3 tower is higher than the Illusion when they are folded. Any help will be appreciated. I want to become a Malibu owner. I have 83" to use to get the boat in with the tower folded. I can't stand to leve my boat outside all the time.

Denny

Not a chance with a Titan, it will be very close with an Illusion on a lowrider trailer. The '06 version of the Illusion will be easier to lower than the '05, so if the budget will allow it, go for the newer boat.

My 06 VLX w/Illusion does not fit under my 7' garage door. When the tower is down the Nav light on the top of tower sticks up almost a foot above the windshield. I havent measured it yet but I would say you would need closer to an 7 1/2 or 8' door. We will be retrofitting a bigger door in next year unfortunetly ! I have the Extreme trailor w/o lowrider option

Edited by iagiansti

Slight hijack - but does anyone know how much the Illusion weighs? I had the titan I on my last boat, and it was quite light. I'm just curious how much weight it adds to the boat.

Slight hijack - but does anyone know how much the Illusion weighs? I had the titan I on my last boat, and it was quite light. I'm just curious how much weight it adds to the boat.

2 years ago I was told 216 lbs. That was before the tension adjustment and the stern light.

2 years ago I was told 216 lbs. That was before the tension adjustment and the stern light.

ouch - didn't figure it would be THAT much.

My '05 VLX will not fit in a 7' door. We are on a lift during the season and then for the winter, we have to take off the tower completely to get it into the basement garage door. Even with the tower off, we have to lower the tongue of the trailer to get the top of the window through the door.

Although its best as a three person job, its not that big of a deal to take an '05 illusion x off. But I definitely wouldn't want to do it every trip. I'm assuming that the '06 illusion would be easier to lower than mine, but I'd assume it would be harder to take it completely off.

I have an 06 that just fits in a 8' with the tower down. I have a buddy who fits his in a 7' by taking the tower off. Which is no big deal if your storing it for the season. You could probably put in back on the boat once it is in the garge in the lowered postion. The Titan tower is very easy to take off and I have done it with just one friend. The two sections can be moved by one person when not in a tight spot. Just remember if you do store it with the tower on and lowered make sure you use plenty of white towels and two or three life jackets stacked on each other to keep from damaging the rear cushions. If you don't do this you will end up with some retarded looking cushioning for EVER and EVER!

Edited by Daman

Yes a 2006 VLX will fit in a 7' space. 83" to be exact. I spent almost a year looking for a boat with a tower that would fit in our garage. I wasn't planning on spending that much money to have my boat sit outside. I'm not sure about the extreme trailers since they are mostly west coast. My trailer is a Prestige (made in Illinois). The standard trailer with an Illusion X tower will fit in an 83" but you have to remove the rope ball (for lack of a better word) on the top of the tower. The tower just rubs the weather strip across the top of the garage door. I also use a hitch with a 6" drop. It acts as a bit more insurance but it was not necessary.

Good luck! I know exactly how you feel. In the end I couldn't be happier. We love our VLX.

You're going to get a lot of different answers because the trailer is a big variable. Some trailers sit high, some sit low. Getting a tower through a 7' door is very close, and usually the difference comes down to the trailer under the boat. You'll have to find someone with the same trailer and same tower to know for sure.

I Have an '05 VLX w/ the Illusion tower and my boat sits on an extreme trailer with the standards wheel package. My boat WILL NOT fit in a standard 7' door opening. What I had to do was shave down a 1" wrench to take the tower spool off everytime I put the boat away. Now I have 1" of clearence from the tower to the top of the garage opening.

It sounds like PITA but it is worth it over getting your stereo jacked!

Thanks for all the info. Please keep it coming. I am still researching all my options. Most of the boats I am interested in have the Titan III tower. It seems that the front bar will have to be removed at the pivots at the front mounts. It can be laid forward but that makes it too long to fit in length ways, so it looks like it will have to be unbolted each time. The rear section is still in question for 83" clearance but sounds like it will be close.

I understand that trailer manufacturer, Ball mount height, driveway slope and other factors will make a difference. I have air susspension on my truck so I can raise and lower the ball height with the push of a button. Driveway drops about 2 to 3 inches outside the garage surface so that is a plus also. I could also put smaller wheels or lower profile tires on trailer for a little more help. I would even consider modifying the top board and trim at top of door to gain about 2 more inches if needed.

Without having the rig in my driveway, it is tough to make the decision to buy. The boats I am looking at are not close enough to home to haul home just to check clearances. Any other opinions and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Denny

• 2 months later...

As you can see by my avatar I have purchased an 06 VLX and it stays in my garage. I remove the 2 bolts from the front bar and lay it across the windshied on padding and pull it rearward till it sets on my rear seat cup holder when the cupholder is folded out. The rear bar is laid back where the tow pylon is. I took the bolt out of the tow pylon so it can be lifted out of it's tube and that allows the rear bar to lay down about 3 inches lower than hitting on the tow ball. Just enough to get it in the garage. It is not too bad and worth the time to be able to store it inside. I do this at least 1 time every weekend during the ski season, if I'm headed back out the next day, I will just cover it in the driveway. Anyone needing more detail just give me a yell and I will be glad to help.

Denny

As you can see by my avatar I have purchased an 06 VLX and it stays in my garage. I remove the 2 bolts from the front bar and lay it across the windshied on padding and pull it rearward till it sets on my rear seat cup holder when the cupholder is folded out. The rear bar is laid back where the tow pylon is. I took the bolt out of the tow pylon so it can be lifted out of it's tube and that allows the rear bar to lay down about 3 inches lower than hitting on the tow ball. Just enough to get it in the garage. It is not too bad and worth the time to be able to store it inside. I do this at least 1 time every weekend during the ski season, if I'm headed back out the next day, I will just cover it in the driveway. Anyone needing more detail just give me a yell and I will be glad to help.

Denny

Could you post some pics? I had to remove my tower completely to get it in, but at least its in.

Pic043.jpg
I let the front bar rest on the rear seat cup holder so it don't compress my cushions permanently. The rear bar is resting on a 2x4 block of wood where the tow pylon is removed from the tube. I have a quick release pin instead of the bolt in my pylon pole so it is easy to pull out and put back. In the spring I plan on lowering my trailer (SMP) about an inch by adjusting the torsion axle setting. This will let me get in the garage without pulling my pylon out and leaving the rear bar on top of the tow ball. Just 1 more thing I won't have to do to get in the garage. If I add tower speakers, they will have to have quick releases to get them not to hold the tower up any .

Edited by dalt1
  • 7 years later...

I know brought back from the dead. Still good info for anyone buying these little older boats.Now I am looking for same info to squeeze a newer VLX in the same space. Have a fresh post but not getting much satisfaction from it. Back in 06 most said it couldn't be done with this one but i found a way. Hope to do the same with a 2012 or newer. If I could only get one to check out fitment before purchase, that would help.May have to look at a T22 Axis.

dalt1, they are closed Mondays but you might want to call TNT. I would think they would know or could at least check one of their new ones or a customers boat so that they could potentially have some new business. I have only seen boats sitting on BM trailers there so you could have some wiggle room with the ability to lower the torsion bar suspension an inch or two. Good luck in your search. Bill.

• Like 1

Went to TNT last weekend. They have a nice 11 VLX and a 12 coming in soon that I am interested in. When 2 guys measure a 21'6'' boat using a 16' tape measure held off to the side of the boat and eyeing the farthest front/back points, I question the accuracy. I need some one who has one in the garage to back the wedge bracket with wedge down and platform off right to the rear wall. close the door and tell me how much room is left from door to folded hitch and exactly how far it is from door to wall. I am guessing just under 30' boat length. HOPE! That's what I have to use 30' front to back door closed. 6'11'' height to door frame on height, looks like that will work for tower folded racks off and top bar removed. I am OK with that .

Edited by dalt1

I know it may be a small pain but there are 10" drop hitch receivers. If you disconnect the boat when you get home and drop the hitch 10" I am wondering if it would lower the tower portion low enough to fit under the door. I'm not sure if the highest part of the tower sits over the wheels. If so this may not work. I currently own an Axis A22 which fits fine but, we are looking to see if the new malibu will fit as well.

i have a Sunscape, 21.5 with a Boatmate Tandem with a folding tongue.

With the platform OFF, i can back into a 24 foot deep section of my garage and still get around the folded tongue and fit across the back. The wedge (floating) does not stick back too far when down. I do have a foam wrap i put around it to save a shin.

The specs below are with the platform ON that i got from the dealer before our purchase.

LOA w/ platform:
24' with tongue folded
26' w/o tongue folded
8' 7" wide on trailer (outside fender to outside fender)
8' 2" max width of boat w/o trailer

I know it may be a small pain but there are 10" drop hitch receivers. If you disconnect the boat when you get home and drop the hitch 10" I am wondering if it would lower the tower portion low enough to fit under the door. I'm not sure if the highest part of the tower sits over the wheels. If so this may not work. I currently own an Axis A22 which fits fine but, we are looking to see if the new malibu will fit as well.

Anyone have a pic from the side with your VLX G3 folded in the full down position?