Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

14" Trailer Wheel Options

mrnate450r

12 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

My build sheet has the Turismo black wheels on it. I just wanted to pick the least ugly 14" wheel. I didn't even inquire on the upcharge to go to 18s. 

The least expensive 18” wheel upgrade is a little over 1700 msrp and another 750 for the side mount spare. The rest are in the 1800-2300 range plus spare. 

• Like 2

The HE1818 in the top right pic, which either comes with all black accents or can be color matched to your gelcoat, is $2,467 MSRP, minus whatever discount you’re getting from the dealer. I think it’s a bit more if the color match accents are flake.

I was planning to skip the extra wheel costs too but this is the one option that Active said I would regret not getting. They didn’t push me to get any of the other options, like wakeview bench or surfpipe, but said their experience around here is their boats on trailers with upgraded wheels tend to sell more quickly.

That could be because everyone has to trailer in this area so could differ by region.

2 hours ago, NWBU said:

@Stevosays the 18’s tow better but I don’t have personal experience yet.

I’ll qual that with my 14’s were a dual axle and the 18’s are on a Tri-axle pimp daddy @IXFE trailer. The 3 axle toes better hands down IMHO. Freeway is smooth sailing. Wine country back roads to Berryessa and Bullards slow me down a bit. 

But the ride quality is prob caveat of the load displacement from 50% more rubber on the road. I always thought the sidewalls flexed a bit much on the 14’s with a 5k boat on it. I have to turn the trailer almost 90’ degrees to park in my driveway, and with a long bed and now longer trailer I feel the 3axle does a better job , it just takes me a a 3 point turn now to do it. 

On 12/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, NWBU said:

Since you're even asking about wheel options, I think you should be looking at the 18" options instead.

wheel options 1.jpg

wheel options 2.jpg

I like the 813’s out of this bunch. @Wakesetter67 black wheels with red accent is Dope.

Check these guys out for the color accents if the factory up charge is $$$

https://shop.wheelacc.com/mobile/add-custom-color-tint-clear-coat-to-your-cap-purchase-note-you-must-also-add-cap-to-your-cart-p6244.aspx

I get nothing but compliments on the 811’s but you have to go aftermarket for the all black. From factory it comes with the machine finish.

I've never towed with the 18's, but I do know from first hand experience that if you upgrade your tires, it will greatly improve road manners.  I ditched the OEM tires for Goodyear Assurance at the beginning of the season, and was shocked at the difference.  I towed around 6000 miles this year, so it is a big deal to me.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:54 PM, mrnate450r said:

My build sheet has the Turismo black wheels on it. I just wanted to pick the least ugly 14" wheel. I didn't even inquire on the upcharge to go to 18s. 

Yeah, mine too.  That what is also on my 21vlx trailer.  My dealer said it’s the only 14inch option.

wonder if anyone has upgraded to a 16” aftermarket wheel seems like it might be a good compromise between the 14” and 18”.  Plus tires would be really easy to find in that size. 

20 hours ago, SCMike said:

Yeah, mine too.  That what is also on my 21vlx trailer.  My dealer said it’s the only 14inch option.

wonder if anyone has upgraded to a 16” aftermarket wheel seems like it might be a good compromise between the 14” and 18”.  Plus tires would be really easy to find in that size. 

IMO, 16" = I wish I could afford 18" wheels, but this is good enough.  Right?  Right?!!!!

Quit screwing around and just do the 18's.  100k for a boat but a few extra hundred bucks for wheels that the boat will be displayed on 99%+ of its life...

5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

IMO, 16" = I wish I could afford 18" wheels, but this is good enough.  Right?  Right?!!!!

Quit screwing around and just do the 18's.  100k for a boat but a few extra hundred bucks for wheels that the boat will be displayed on 99%+ of its life...

Try 2-3k. For the same money, I’d rather have clamping racks...

4 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Try 2-3k. For the same money, I’d rather have clamping racks...

Clamping racks are already on my build sheet, and I'm not going to negotiate on removing them for wheels. The Turismo wheel may be the ugliest 14" wheel I've seen in a while, IMO. I'm going to try and justify the 18s. Need to talk to my dealer. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, NWBU said:

The HE1818 in the top right pic, which either comes with all black accents or can be color matched to your gelcoat, is $2,467 MSRP, minus whatever discount you’re getting from the dealer. I think it’s a bit more if the color match accents are flake.

I was planning to skip the extra wheel costs too but this is the one option that Active said I would regret not getting. They didn’t push me to get any of the other options, like wakeview bench or surfpipe, but said their experience around here is their boats on trailers with upgraded wheels tend to sell more quickly.

That could be because everyone has to trailer in this area so could differ by region.

Everyone trailers around here but it is pretty rare to see anything but a base trailer.  Also pretty rare to see tow rigs with pimp daddy wheels on them, so likely a regional thing.  From a practical standpoint I'd rather curb a tire than a wheel.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, mrnate450r said:

Anybody know what the specs on the trailer wheels are? Also, do the fenders need to be modified like the Boatmates used to to clear 18s?

Yes the fenders are wider to clear the 18s.