Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New toy. Wakefoil

isellacuras

Finally got try out a Wake foil. I bought one in the classifieds from @tjklein  but it's still sitting in my garage waiting on new hardware. Yesterday i got out with a fellow member from another forum that is way into stand up fooling. He's 71 years old and still loving watersports. I don't have any pictures or videos of him but he was a hoot to hang out with. 

Edit to remove bad link. 

Edited by isellacuras

When I bought ski boat insurance there was a clause about air chairs and foils not being covered under liability/bodily injury.  Anyone else see that?  I'm trying to find it again.  

48 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

When I bought ski boat insurance there was a clause about air chairs and foils not being covered under liability/bodily injury.  Anyone else see that?  I'm trying to find it again.  

Yes, Ski Safe had this clause when they were backed by Cigna, probably 20 years ago. A group of us created USA Hydrofoil in around 2001, which is a part of USA Waterski. Ski Safe switched to Global Marine (for other reasons, not sure why) & the clause was lifted. I've been covered by Safeco forever & never had issues. And I've never heard of any other companies with a similar clause. And frankly I don't think they ever had any real reason for it. 

In my experience, riding sit down foils since the early 90s, they're as safe as any other towable toy when used correctly with equipment in good condition. Ride with no bindings, or with an old, degraded, belt or bindings, and all bets are off.

10 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Big difference is some guys ride with no bindings, like a surfboard. If your not connected to it, it can come back to hit you. 

Ecactky what I have been saying, but now for some additional expense to an already ridiculous package from liquid Force they have the straps 

now I just need to come up with 1900 dollars for the learning length  foil post and final length foil post, Board, straps and extra big foil and I’m ready to go

wife put the bypass on this at the 1500 price with no straps, one post and small foil!!!!

12 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Big difference is some guys ride with no bindings, like a surfboard. If your not connected to it, it can come back to hit you. 

maybe, but even with bindings, i see a fall happening where you knees buckle and your head snaps back into the blade. Maybe not though.

14 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

if there's one thing that I've learned from this thread,  it's that if you start going big on this thing you are gonna probably go bald, @isellacuras

Have you seen my hair?  I ain't goin bald buddy. I do wear a helmet to protect my lovely locks.... and my brain. One thing about the wakefoil is the t-bar and wings are MUCH lighter than my sit down.  The t bar is hollow and the wings are a plastic like material. I'm sure it could do some damage but i will do what i can to limit exposure. I am working on getting bindings mounted up. My old cwb hinge lock bindings don't fit the 6" binding mounting holes. My new wakeboard boots (slingshot Rads) do but i don't want to have to change them over all the time. My plan is to get an open toe binding that will fit a wide range of sizes. 

Edited by isellacuras
On 12/20/2017 at 8:29 AM, Chia said:

maybe, but even with bindings, i see a fall happening where you knees buckle and your head snaps back into the blade. Maybe not though.

Yea, at higher speeds it's likely. But at learning speeds, it would be less likely. Definitely a serious scorpion.

I think surfing with straps and no rope like this thing is capable of is going to be safe, did you see the LF owner surfing his snd pumping to stay with the 2nd roller not just the front wave, way to slow and gentle with no torque/centrifical Force  other than the mellow snd hard work pumping since no rope snd slow speed 

On 12/20/2017 at 9:18 AM, shawndoggy said:

if there's one thing that I've learned from this thread,  it's that if you start going big on this thing you are gonna probably go bald, @isellacuras

More irrefutable evidence that the level of radness is always proportional to the length of the mullet.  It's basic math.

• Like 1

My son got one at the end of this summer and had a ton of fun on it! 

7B1CF66F-8306-44A8-AD0A-F482BF531012.jpeg

Edit: How do you embed videos straight from your phone? It's not on YouTube or anything I can post the link to. Or can you embed videos from your camera roll?

Edited by Suggy
  • Like 2