Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Protecting the Daily Driver

abattle10

I've seen a lot of threads on boat detailing but I've searched and I have not seen anything car specific. If I missed it please feel free to throw a link in here. This isn't tow rig specific but yesterday I was fortunate enough to lease my first brand new car and now I am looking for detailing products! It's a black 2017 Fusion and as excited as I am to have a new car, I can't say I am looking forward to maintaining a black car. In college I was a porter for a Ford dealer so I have history with the "shadow black" that Ford has been putting on cars the last couple years and it's very tough to get clean, let alone keep it clean. I told myself I would never get the shadow black but here I am... I don't need anything to make it look like its never left the showroom, just a good wax/sealant to fight against the snowy and salty Michigan winters and tire dressing. Anybody have recommendations of their favorite products and applicators? I've looked through amazon and it seems chemical guys has some products with good reviews and reasonable prices. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC_110_16-Extreme-Sealant/dp/B00BQAL016/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1513350379&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=chemical+guys+sealant&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC_201_16-Butter-Wet/dp/B00FALVU8A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1513350379&sr=8-6&keywords=chemical+guys+sealant

Thoughts on a wax vs. sealant?

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-TVD_107_16-Plastic-Dressing/dp/B00FJIT9BO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513351090&sr=8-3&keywords=chemical+guys+tire+shine

Edited by abattle10
correction

I put a clear bra on our charcoal 14’ fusion (half hood) and it’s done great (80k Miles)

chemical guys have good stuff but you can get lost in their branding and hype.

i haven’t used their sealant, but I’d recommend these 2 below 

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/one-step+sealant.do

Jescar Power Lock Plus Polymer Sealant (Pint) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P87W0IU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hR-mAb5CRSDX3

I think sealants are better. 

I really like the Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant. It is VERY easy to use. Lasts way longer then a wax. Just make sure what ever you use you prep the paint before application. It will last longer. 

I’m very intrigued by coatings. I may try one. Those can give a year or two of protection if property maintained. 

Seems like everyone leans towards the sealants more than wax. Do they have different uses? Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a use for wax if a sealant does the same job, but better. I think I am going to stay away from a clear bra or coating of a sort. The lease is only 2 years so I am not too worried about how it looks 8 years down the road. More just making it easier to fight water spots and dirt and keeping it clean day to day

I use blackfire wet diamond ..sealer..and midnight sun...wax.  use Adams detail spray.  its the best.  also get good microfiber towels.  have bought from Autogeek, Autopia, and Adams.  last truck I bought I didn' let them in wrap it or clean it in any way.  I washed it clayed it (with a clay towel) started to buff it with Menzerna sf4500..checked it and it didn' need it so went straight to wet diamond sealer with a PC orbital. next day another coat of wet diamond next weekend a coat of midnite sun.  it was beautiful.

Well I ended up going with the one step sealant that stevo linked. After reading up on it, it should give a little polish and then leave a coat of sealant on afterwards. Going to apply it with a random orbital polisher and a light cutting pad.. I'm thinking that it will be good to polish out the minor imperfections acquired since leaving the factory. I'll be sure to report back with some pics once it arrives! Also ordered the chemical guys vrp tire dressing and an applicator pad. Thanks all for the recommendations!

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-TVD_107_16-Plastic-Dressing/dp/B00FJIT9BO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513351090&sr=8-3&keywords=chemical+guys+tire+shine

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/one-step+sealant.do

ahopkins22LSV

This is probably going to make a lot of head spin ..... BUT .... on a lease, don't waste your time waxing or sealing it. Wash it every so often and keep it from getting scratched or dinged the best you can. Turn it in after 2 years and who cares at that point.

One of my friends owns a car dealership. And has a GTR. He takes it around back and gets it washed every time he takes it out same guy always washes it and has for years. He got this done and when the guy washed it he asked what was different said it was like the clear coat was working way better. Long story short if I get a new ride this will be added.

http://ceramicpro.com/ceramic-coating-for-cars-ceramic-pro/

6 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

This is probably going to make a lot of head spin ..... BUT .... on a lease, don't waste your time waxing or sealing it. Wash it every so often and keep it from getting scratched or dinged the best you can. Turn it in after 2 years and who cares at that point.

I see your point, but protecting may not have been the best word for me to use in the title. More like what products will help appease my OCD by fighting off water spots and making it easier to keep clean on a daily basis... :crazy:

But along those lines I have no interest in long term protection/products. I’m just going to hit it with a sealant, some occasional tire dressing, and tint the windows. Just want to make it nice to look at for the couple years I have it 

7 hours ago, Stevo said:

Not sure I’m buying the “increased speed” and “fuel efficiency “

Yea, I've got friends with bass boats that do the opposite. They sand the rear 3-4 ft of the hull with 600 grit to make it not so smooth, supposed to give the a few more MPH.

Appointment is set up for window tint on thursday and as of now they'll be doing 20% all the way around (not on windshield). I'm having a real tough time deciding between 20 and 35% though. Not going for the murdered out look but the factory tint is like being in a fish bowl. I've thought about going 35 on the front and 20 on the back but I am not sure how I feel about the look of two different shades

• 3 months later...

Adding to this thread instead of starting another.

Wifey's Armada has the imitation chrome wheels. Yes, it actually has plastic cover (dare I say hub caps) on the wheels, not real chrome. This is pretty much the only thing on the rig that bothers me. Anywho, what so you knowledgeable ones on the cleaning of chome plastic? I scrub them, but as they age, getting the winter grime and brake dust off is getting harder. I don't want to scratch them to no end and I don't want to buy new wheels for this thing, I doubt we'll have it a whole lot longer and money is better spent elsewhere. I've tried wheel cleaner, might as well pee on them. Thoughts??

3 hours ago, Falko said:

Wifey's Armada has the imitation chrome wheels. Yes, it actually has plastic cover (dare I say hub caps) on the wheels, not real chrome. This is pretty much the only thing on the rig that bothers me. Anywho, what so you knowledgeable ones on the cleaning of chome plastic? I scrub them, but as they age, getting the winter grime and brake dust off is getting harder. I don't want to scratch them to no end and I don't want to buy new wheels for this thing, I doubt we'll have it a whole lot longer and money is better spent elsewhere. I've tried wheel cleaner, might as well pee on them. Thoughts??

They sound like the clad 20 inch wheels that used to come on ram trucks.  You either plasticote them or replace with a better quality wheel.

4 hours ago, Falko said:

I was a new car porter/detailer at a Ford dealer when the F150s had the same "chrome." They wheels would show up pretty nasty and they took more than soap and a power washer. From what I remember my best solution was a magic eraser with some prep solvent and some elbow grease

Thanks, looks like elbow grease is the solution. Like I said, replacing the wheels, not an option. Maybe find some Infiniti take-offs for cheap if it comes to that, but not putting anymore money into this truck. It is most likely to become the son's first vehicle.