Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$40,000 Budget. Wants A Malibu. What Advice Do I Give My Friend?

CharlieBeaU

Easily coming in under budget with cash leftover to do a DIY surfgate or GSA + add extra ballast would be an 04-07 LSV or 05-08 VLX. Really clean examples of this out there for low to mid 30's with only a season or two worth of hours. No touchscreen to replace either. 

Edited by robbennett
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Easily coming in under budget with cash leftover to do a DIY surfgate or GSA + add extra ballast would be an 04-07 LSV or 05-08 VLX. Really clean examples of this out there for low to mid 30's with only a season or two worth of hours. No touchscreen to replace either. 

Agree.  In standard TMC fashion though people say their budget is $40k so people post boats $50-60k and dont take into account all the other boat costs. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, robbennett said:

And it'll ski well too, especially if you get a diamond hull.  You just described my boat. Got it for 30 two years ago.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

don't forget the dearly departed @DocPhil.

He is missed but strangely it feels like he's still with us. As it often is with those most dear to us.

Edited by CharlieBeaU
Typo
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

He's got a call in and in discussions with the dealer on the last one. He may try to get up there next week. If I can get off work and get permission from the home boss I'm going with him.

Let me know if you want me to stop by and check it out for him. That dealer is about 30 min from my house. I think I have some free time tomorrow... 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Let me know if you want me to stop by and check it out for him. That dealer is about 30 min from my house. I think I have some free time tomorrow... 

That's awesome. Let me ask him. I'll shoot you a pm. Thanks!

23 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

@atropine just posted a super clean 04 lsv with low hours in the classifieds. 

This in my mind is the boat to get. 

Does all three sports well with small adjustments to loadout and you stay within budget.

21 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

This in my mind is the boat to get. 

Does all three sports well with small adjustments to loadout and you stay within budget.

Just took a look at that. Somebody's gonna get a nice ride obviously. 

Steve B.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

A really big thank you to @Pnwrider. He went and checked out that '11 VLX today and it turns out the pics in their add do not accurately represent the rough shape it's actually in. He saved my friend Adam and I a 320 mile + drive by doing that. I really can't adequately express my appreciation but again, thanks @Pnwrider.

Don’t mention it, glad I saved you guys the trip. That boat was ROUGH. Happy to do it again if another one pops up in this area! 

• Like 4

I've posted in here several times that I recreationally ski my 23 lsv at 34mph regularly. For course skiing I use a tournament boat. Trading surf or air chair pulls for slalom pulls is an easy deal to negotiate.  Especially since skiing here usually involves getting up at 6am with other like minded bouy chasers.  

This summer I skied a ski nautique, 2 sport nautiques, prostar 190, prostar 205 and a prostar 197.  And I took all those owners surfing.  It's not a bad life.  

• Like 3
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, P6Expert said:

Winter is coming...

As winter is fast approaching, I would tell your friend to take his time on buying a new boat.  No need to rush as he probably will not be able to use the boat fully until next spring or early summer.  Also, by being patient, your friend may be able to stumble into a very good deal.  

Another piece of advice would be to not wait too long, because as the season approaches, prices may go up a bit and the used inventory may shrink. 

I have a 22 VLX and love it very much.  We purchased this boat used last May and feel I got a great deal compared to comparable boats on west coast.  My wife was uncertain of the asking price, so I did a search on boattrader.com for all similar boats on the west cost and found our boat to be priced low for its features and hours compared to its price.  Basically, there are good deals out there, you just have to take your time.

With regards to parking in your garage, make sure your friend measures his garage space and boat.  Because of the trailer and power wedge, my boat barely fit in my garage.  My old boat (Sanger V215) which was 21'-6" had no problem fitting in my garage.  My 22 VLX (at 21'-10") now occupies two spaces of my three car garage.  I can fit the boat in one space, but then cannot squeeze behind the power wedge to exit out of the side door or access beer fridge in garage.  

I hope this helps your friend.

Just curious reading this post. What is your garage door opening height?? I'm thinking next boat will be a 22VLX and I have always kept my boats at home in my garage. My 13 VTX fits fine--I have more length to fit longer but height is questionable. I have a 7 ft door. Thanks!!

5 hours ago, Jason63 said:

Just curious reading this post. What is your garage door opening height?? I'm thinking next boat will be a 22VLX and I have always kept my boats at home in my garage. My 13 VTX fits fine--I have more length to fit longer but height is questionable. I have a 7 ft door. Thanks!!

I have a two bay three car garage and the smallest bay measures 9'-8" wide by 7'-101/5" tall. 

I am able to squeeze my 22 VLX in this smaller bay.  My issue was the fact that my driveway leading into the garage is steep, and the caster wheels on the bottom of trailer were mounted on the inside of the trailer frame instead of the middle of the bottom part of frame.  Basically, my trailer would drag on the concrete driveway approach with the trailer wheels off of the ground.  It was a very nasty sound to have the steel trailer frame drag on the concrete.  My solution was to place pieces of lumber under the trailer wheels to lift my boat a few inches and thus not dragging my trailer frame.  Because it is such a pain to park the boat in the small garage bay, I now park it across two bays on a diagonal.   The boat fits much better, but I lose a parking spot.  

Overall, the height of my boat has not been an issue - even when I lift the wheels with the lumber as noted above.  I always have to fold my tower completely to fit in the bay.  I have never checked the height when backing into the garage.  I usually have had spotters helping me back into the bay and since they have never complained about the vertical clearance, I assume the 7'-101/5" of height is tall enough to fit my boat.  Note:  I did have to buy a retrofit G4 Pistol Slider for my bimini to completely flip out of the way and thus allowing my G4 tower to completely fold.  I think that most newer boats (mine is a 2015), allow the bimini to completely fold out of the way of the tower.

I have pasted a link to my box.com site where you can see folders that include "Steep Driveway".  This folder has images of my boat in the garage.  Good luck.

https://app.box.com/s/is1lzh2xokl9wfatzawnjsnwdokvedxi

Sorry to be so late to this party - been having posting issues but it looks like they are solved!

So, i have a 2008 21' LSV.  It has good slalom wakes and can handle course skiing.  I am attaching some wake photos - one from the boat and one from the skier.  When we do the course, i usually try to have 1/4 tank of gas, driver and observer. If there is a 3rd person in the boat they sit in the bow area.  After a few practice runs, i am able to stay in line even with a strong skier behind.

It is also decent for wake boarding, for beginner level boarding.  We have a wedge but no tower and no sacks.   If the 2008 LSVs are more than $40k, tell me, and mine will be for sale :cheers:

32 MPH - 1.JPG

DH 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to say another quick "Thank You" to everyone for their help and advice. My friend ended up buying a 2008 Nautique SV211 out of Spokane, WA, from a private seller. It was a one owner boat with just over 200 hrs on it. It's not a Malibu but at least he gets to use AWS as his dealer and he's stoked that he's getting a crossover boat that should ski well, provide a good wake for his boys to learn wakeboarding on and, with a little help, put a fun surf wave too. Plus, he knows he's always welcome to surf with me and it'll be a ton of fun to have another friend out on the water.

Here's the only pic I have of it:

y4m78TcUsrsQZ7elo0CBVjdHUkexfvJitt2dy9mk

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Gavin17 said:

I like it.  How much was it?

I believe he got it for $38,000. The only thing it needs is a cover. The previous owner never bought one because it was always stored in doors.

4 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I believe he got it for $38,000. The only thing it needs is a cover. The previous owner never bought one because it was always stored in doors.

That's the story you want to hear about why it doesn't have a cover.  Those kind of owners are great.  

Looks like he got a very nice boat.

• Like 1

Newbee here- I’m in the exact situation with maybe a little more to spend.  I want the boat that does it all (and I still like to slalom) with the diamond hull. Oddly enough, I live in Spokane and had that Natique “saved” as a potential option but I still gravitate towards Malibu.  Still trying to narrow down what I want so I can move quickly when I find it.  Finding that “deal” is difficult because I have a hard time determining what the correct price should be.  Seems like a lot of inflated pricing out there.  Anyway, this thread has been really helpful in my research, so thanks to all.  I’ve been around boats my whole life but never owned my own ski boat...looking forward to that 23 LSV that will hopefully be sitting on my lift this summer.

• Like 1