Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Texas Malibu Experience

Raffit78

22 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I see, thanks.  I don't do facebook so I wouldn't know.

Yes they offered that as well as their normal add, So I guess if I ever go to sell a boat again, I will stay away from the FB adds! 

I've bought 2 new boats from Texas Malibu. Have 7 other friends with 16 new boats from them as well. We've had good experiences from them plus when we tow to 70 miles to get scheduled service we call ahead, drop-off, and come back in 4-5hrs and pick up. Hate to hear these stories/issues about any dealer. I'm not denying anyone's negative  experiences but it comes as a surprise as Texas Malibu just was awarded "Dealer of the Year" and the Malibu "President's Award". 

• Like 3
On 12/14/2017 at 11:27 AM, Ronnie said:

Hit up Tim, Frank or Rusty at Waterski America.

Waterski America

Interesting change of tone.  I was beat up for not understanding there were regions during our purchase.  Now Waterski America is recommended because of a bad experience in a different region.  Very confusing to say the least!

"That's pretty much SOP for most reputable Malibu dealers. They respect dealer regions and don't sell across the regions. Not all dealers will uphold that and it gives the dealers that do a bad name for doing what is right. Your Austin dealer shouldn't sell in Dallas or Houston either. This is more for the Dealer's protections than the buyers."

Sorry to hear of the bad experience.  We just inked a deal with Texas Malibu and had a wonderful experience.  Hopefully I can return in a year with same service experience.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Dunski said:

Interesting change of tone.  I was beat up for not understanding there were regions during our purchase.  Now Waterski America is recommended because of a bad experience in a different region.  Very confusing to say the least!

"That's pretty much SOP for most reputable Malibu dealers. They respect dealer regions and don't sell across the regions. Not all dealers will uphold that and it gives the dealers that do a bad name for doing what is right. Your Austin dealer shouldn't sell in Dallas or Houston either. This is more for the Dealer's protections than the buyers."

Don't know how you were "beat up" but...

1. This isn't my rule for dealers to sell in their region. You're being "beat up" was probably from explaining the regional sales that dealers are supposed to adhere to on new boats.

2. The OP isn't even in this state or region.

3. The OP bought used.

I haven’t said anything, just really trying hard to keep things amicable.  A few parties including Malibu Corp. are involved and at this time, Said party has been a slim bit more active. 

• Like 1
On 12/14/2017 at 8:49 PM, IXFE said:

The only problem with CL is all the dudes who want to trade you their go cart + cash.  :cry:

I got one with a guy with only 10k needing a boat for his family & I should consider the less fortunate & drop 20k off the price.  So I trolled him for a couple weeks till he figured out I wasn't serious.

• Like 2

Here's my story:

My wife and I  have been contemplating on getting a newer boat, we've had 3 Tige's in the past and I was content, although I always felt the Malibu had more room and looked aesthetically better. (personal preference).  With most of our friends in Malibu's, I decided let's give it a try. 

We saw this said boat on the companies website, showed the wife, she loved the colors and I called them and spoke to a salesmen there. He gave me the run down. 2013 malibu 247 wake setter 90 hours.  Boat is "like new".  Full inspection of the boat and trailer have been done to insure mechanics are happy to sell it on the lot. So they, being in Texas and us being in Cali, I decided, I better fly out there and do a boat test, walk around, all the good stuff.  I asked the salesperson to email me possibly anything, anything at all that needs attention, so he did. He sent pictures of the rear swim platform seadek, lifting on the edges, sent me a pic of a westsound eq, he said that's an upgrade maybe the previous owner did,  he mentioned that the center large wake setter logo had a small scuff, most likely from the bunks, or who knows. He mentioned that the screen needed attention and that they would replace it under warranty.   So I told him great, let's move forward.  I purchased all new decals so I don't have to deal with that down the line. Roughly 1k.   (they wouldn't install it).  NO big deal I thought.   

Arranged the transporter to pick the boat up and deliver it to us. Meanwhile the huge hurricane came into Texas I believe it was Hurricane Harvey and my flight  got cancelled. Stuck at the airport all day no flights going into that airport and everything was cancelled. ( I still have round trip ticket). They assured me, not to worry as the boat was under extended warranty so anything that was wrong including the lifting of the seadek, it would all be covered.  Allegedly "extended warranty on this boat is even better then manufactured warranty"  FPC warranty company.    

The transporter gets 10 miles from the dealer and I get a call. "Sir, we've had a blow out" These tires are all dry rotted. He waits on the side of the road for a few hours and finally  a roadside assistance company that has a used tire that size arrives,  just to get him back to the dealer for an inspection (No one in his area where he was stuck had that size tire). ($300)   Transporter calls me and tells me that, the dealer is going to close before he can make it back for them to take a look at the trailer but he wanted to also mention that the roadside assistance guy did see some brake fluid leaking from the right rear brakes when he was fixing the blow out.  Then the transporter starts snapping pictures of the trailer.  Left rear fender must at one time had a blow out as well, the rear part of the fender was completely mangled. (never told about, from the salesperson).   Then there was major, major rock chips.  Was never told about. 

Transporter goes back to his house, (with the boat). Assures me that he lives in a safe neighborhood and the boat should be fine there. (anxiety had already been kicking in).  Guy I don't know, parking the boat at a random house, getting all these pictures of this trailer in bad shape, getting pretty nervous. (had to pay him an extra $600.00) because he lost his load back from cali and he wasted one full day. 

Boat back at dealer, I get a call. Sales manager tells me, well I mean, it's hard for us to tell if these tires are bad. The tread looks good so mechanic thought it was good. We don't feel we need to change all 4. We think they are good. I asked him the transporter will not leave unless we replace all 4, he doesn't feel he's going to make it very far and from the pictures he's sending me, they all look dry rotted. I told him you know, whatever, I will pay for all new tires. It is what it is. I don't want any issues 700 miles down the road. With more bickering, manager says, we will pay for 2 tires. So I ended up paying for 2, dealer paying for 2.($380)  (this to me is 100% a safety issue and should be covered under their inspection).  So then I inquire about the  brake leaking problem,  oh they don't know what they are talking about he said.  Transporter sees them fixing it later when the new tires were being installed. Not sure what happen there. 

We get the boat, as said, rock chips everywhere on the trailer, I mean heavy. I have no idea what types of roads they have in Texas, but boy, that thing was BEAT UP. nevertheless, no biggie.  I take out the boat cover to cover the boat and this thing was destroyed. I mean rips everywhere. (never notified)  Ordered a new one from Bakes. $1200.00. (called and told them, it would have been nice to be advised about the boat cover, response like all the others, oh hmmm, mechanics just told me it was a little weathered).

Our first trip with the boat. Unfortunately for us in California, as I mentioned to the salesperson, I wanted everything checked thoroughly because the closest decent lake to us is 270 miles away in Arizona which is Lake Havasu. So if it had any problems, I would rather have them fixed so we're not stuck in Havasu.  

We get there and it is hot out there 110 dry heat.  I get the boat ready to launch, I open the bimini up and the cover is in 8 pieces. I mean, I can't even extend it open, it's torn. Now I'm pretty aggravated. We've got 12 people with us, 4 kids under 3 and no cover. This isn't going to work at all.  No big deal, I thought, well let's just get it in the water, and test it out.    

We launch the boat, my buddy and I (he being a Malibu owner) knew all the gadgets and how to work everything since this was my first time with a Malibu.  We started playing with the radio, trying to hook up the iPod etc.  I noticed the glove compartment, once you open it, it just doesn't want to close. It was a pain in the butt. You have to shake it, move it, push it, I mean just annoying. Probably needs an adjustment, but a very easy fix while at the dealer, again, no big deal. Used boat, I get it. 

So my buddy is engaging wedges, Power wedge, surf gate, checking the ballasts.  The power wedge doesn't engage, throws a power wedge fault code. It doesn't want to go down.   We kept tinkering it, resetting it, calibrating, powering it on off... we got nothing.  Meanwhile, the stereo is cutting out. It plays for 3 minutes and it cuts out.  (amps overheating). 

After a few hours of playing with the Power wedge, he noticed that it had a blown fuse, we go back to the launch ramp, deal with that, get new fuses, pop it in. Power wedge fault code goes away, we're excited.  We start boating and trying to engage the wedge, and bam. Power wedge fault code one more time. At this point, I was over it. Let's not worry about this now, let's just check everything else out.  We hit the surf gate buttons,  bam, surf gate won't engage. we try to calibrate it, nothing.  (radio, now is dead) (rear transom remote doesn't work) 

At this point, I literally feel like I bought a lemon. Buddy is trying to calibrate the surf gate, we are resetting it, powering on and off the batteries once again, nothing. In the midst of this. I get a check Engine code message. At this point, I'm ready to pull the plug. We puddle back to our condo after about 3-4 hours of just dealing with this and now I'm pretty beat up.  I've got no bimini, glove that won't shut, radio that's overheated, power wedge that doesn't work, surf gate that doesn't work and a dreaded check engine light.  I would have been ok with all of it, but that check engine light, I just didn't want to mess with.  So at this point, I was done. Told the kids and family, we will just have to be boatless this trip. We can hang on the beach, drive the boat back to CA instead of leaving it in our storage facility in AZ,  since the only Malibu dealer is closer to us then AZ. (The monitor was never replaced, or maybe replaced with another used one, there's burn marks everywhere on it). That one still needs to be looked at by our local dealer. 

I call the dealer and explain this whole situation and I mean it's like, they really don't care. They tell me to call the extended warranty company, so I did. I call them and tell them my issue, give them my info. warranty hasn't been transferred to my name. I don't get it. I call back the sales guy and tell him, is there something we are missing? because they are saying the warranty has not transferred.    Well ya,  they never did transfer the warranty.  They tell me, need not worry, to simply take the boat to the dealer they will work it all out within a couple days and get the warranty squared away.      

2 months later..... we finally have extended warranty.   Our local dealer gives me a bill of the issues it's over 7k.  We have a deficiency in bank B manifold. (some cat problem). glove,  there was other aesthetic issues I thought was covered (chrome bezel on corner windshield) wasn't covered. Long story short.  warranty covers only the wedges and surf gate and is fixed.   Warranty will not cover the manifold, it is about 5k with parts and labor. I exhaust all of my avenues on this.  I call the dealer, Indmar, warranty company everyone to just get a little help.   How can a boat with 90 hours have a bad cat. I literally got the run around.  After another month of dealing with that, I finally was able to get a hold of the owner of Texas Malibu.      Explained my situation, he simply told me, he would give me the manifolds at cost $2700.00 or so dollars. (Bakes marine was almost identical)    So this is when I lost my cool. I was brutally honest.   

I buy this boat, I get it, it's used, it can have some minor issues but in reality it still only has 90 hours and is still a TON of money. TO have to come out of pocket for EVERYTHING? I mean really?   I never asked for help with the boat cover, the bimini, the tires, the transporter fees, the decals, glove box, windshield bezel, nothing.   I just wanted some help on the manifolds. If you looked at the manifolds, you would clearly see how one side is nice and glossy and the other is completely dull. No way that this could have happened in the few hours we put on the boat. ( I have pictures on everything). 

At this point, I was really fed up.  4 months of dealing with this boat, losing sleep, ordering parts after parts, I think I was Bakes marine number 1 client for those months. I finally reached out to Malibu.  Talked to a nice gentlemen and he said he would reach out to the dealer and to not make any promises, he would try to see what he can do. 

So I get a call back a few days later and the owner was willing to give me the manifolds at a discounted rate. $1800.00.   Basically 1k out of his pocket. So now is on me to get them installed and so on. 

I have never in my boating career of 16 years dealt with a dealer this disorganized, unprofessional. I would never let any car, boat, trailer, leave my lot unless I am certain it is safe to do so. A full inspection on the boat?  I mean come on. The lies the dishonesty.  

The decals I ordered during the process in August, I JUST received the transom decal about a week ago with letters that were not even on the masking tape. Thrown in a box. 4 months.  I was told, they will ship them out when they "place an order to Malibu" .    1k later. 

I'm embarrassed and saddened that I had to deal with this and sitting here writing about it. I feel bad for my poor wife that she had to see me stress out not knowing what the outcome is going to be.    This is just not a way anyone should ever be treated. Especially coming new to the brand and as a new customer to the dealer. 

I still love the boat, we hope that it stays with us for a long time. I'm hopeful that we don't have any more issues.  I'll still be another few grand out of pocket before the summer that's for sure.  

If there is a lesson learned, don't buy a boat without your own inspection, do not feel since the dealer is reputable, they will always have your back and you can have their trust.  Think twice about buying a used boat at the value you are spending. a few thousand more and you can be in a new boat?  There's something to be said about that. I never had any of these issues with our other brand boat so that part is a bit discouraging. But this boat fits our needs for the size. Again, do your due diligence, when the transaction goes south, you will be stuck with big bills and parts are not cheap.  

I was happy that Malibu corp. was able to step in and just get me a tiny bit of help. For that, I am thankful.

Wow man, super bummed about your experience.  I don’t know if it’s the tone in your post, but it sounds like you handled this a little better then I would have 🤬 anyways.  Good luck, and hopefully you have a great problem free season on the water.  

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Wow man, supper bummed about your experience.  I don’t know if it’s the tone in your post, but it sounds like you handled this a little better then I would have 🤬 anyways.  Good luck, and hopefully you have a great problem free season on the water.  

I thought the same thing!

@Raffit78, I’m in San Clemente, looks like you are pretty close by.  Do you hit any of the local spots down here?  San Vicente has been a pretty good day trip spot for me. 

Edited by SCMike
1 hour ago, SCMike said:

Wow man, super bummed about your experience.  I don’t know if it’s the tone in your post, but it sounds like you handled this a little better then I would have 🤬 anyways.  Good luck, and hopefully you have a great problem free season on the water.  

I just think I learned many valuable lessons in 4 months of buying a boat from said dealer. I'm not the type to b**** and complain, I'm grateful that we are in a position to even be able to buy a boat for our hobby and my family to enjoy. Just bummed that the experience of it took the enjoyment out of the boat. It was never the intent for me to ask them to simply pay for everything. I get it, it's a used boat, low hours, it's expected for small things to occur.  Just not good when I asked on numerous of occasions if the boat had anything that needed attention, I'd like to be aware, so it can be fixed. It's really the principle. Be honest. 

40 minutes ago, SCMike said:

@Raffit78, I’m in San Clemente, looks like you are pretty close by.  Do you hit any of the local spots down here?  San Vicente has been a pretty good day trip spot for me. 

I live in Rancho Cucamonga, I think San Clemente is about a 1:30-2 hour drive, Excuse me for my ignorance, but is there a lake there? The only one I've been to towards us is Lake Perris, unfortunately you do have to have a "CA" mussel sticker and since the registration took so long, i couldn't go test it before we took it out to Havasu.  I have been to Lake Elsinore as well, I just can't see myself going there for any reason. It's a bit scary when they tell you it's a "no swim" lake.  I mean, what the heck. lol 

17 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

I would've pulled the plug on that deal,, literally! Pun intended. 

Trust me, I was bummed. The thought did cross my mind, being honest. lol    Unfortunately seeing your bank account emptied out and your trophy sitting 60 feet below the lake wasn't the image I was painting on our first trip. lol  

Life goes on, at the end, I did learn that I have a great dealer nearby that has been absolutely amazing through all of it.  They dealt with the warranty company, they dealt with the service tech from Texas, They dealt with a few months of the boat sitting there while said party got the extended warranty situation resolved.  Without a doubt, I would be using them for any of my upcoming services or issues. 

I mean no Malice by said company, it's one boat, one new owner, things went south. I will do my due diligence if I ever purchase another boat. I blame myself for not being able to get out there. The timing was just not on my side. Although, I'm no mechanic and I highly doubt I would have visually or mechanically seen all the issues anyway.  I'm 100% happy that the boat is in my possession, If I had to pick another boat, It would still be this boat and this brand. It took one phone call to talk to someone in Malibu corporate and they did reach out to make things right and that was something they did not have to do. For that, I truly am grateful. Sadly, said dealer could have easily reached out the the party that listed the boat on consignment and maybe told them the scenario and seen if they were willing to help. I don't know. In my head I just think of some many different ways I could have handled the situation to satisfy a customer.  New Malibu owner, First time purchasing from this dealer. These aren't 50-60k boats with 1000 hours on them. 

This sucks and sorry to hear about your experience, but I think you learned not to trust a dealer. I just looked at a boat last weekend for a crew member that was out of state and saved him a trip on a boat that was not in the condition the dealer described (reputable dealer too). You could have easily had a third party inspection done once your flight was cancelled. When I was recently shopping for a used boat out of state, my plan of attack was TPI, flight out to handle money/title transfer, and meet with shipper.

Thanks for posting, hopefully someone reading this will learn from it. Sounds like you have a great attitude towards the situation. I really hope once fixed, the boat will be great for your family. There are only so many summers until the kids are gone! 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Raffit78 said:

If there is a lesson learned, don't buy a boat without your own inspection

I cannot stress this enough, but it must be a 3rd party if it's not going to be the new owner.  It's a complete conflict of interest for the party selling the boat to do the inspection.

I'm sorry to read your story.  It really sucks.  If there is a good side to this, just know that next spring you'll have worked out all the kinks and have an awesome ride that your family will never forget.  You'll be a little bit lighter in the pocketbook but you can't put a price on good memories and I'm certain you'll have far more good memories than bad in a very short while...in the meantime know that you've got a solid crew here to help, and not just via keyboard.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, formulaben said:

I cannot stress this enough, but it must be a 3rd party if it's not going to be the new owner.  It's a complete conflict of interest for the party selling the boat to do the inspection.

I'm sorry to read your story.  It really sucks.  If there is a good side to this, just know that next spring you'll have worked out all the kinks and have an awesome ride that your family will never forget.  You'll be a little bit lighter in the pocketbook but you can't put a price on good memories and I'm certain you'll have far more good memories than bad in a very short while...in the meantime know that you've got a solid crew here to help, and not just via keyboard.

well said @formulaben

2 hours ago, Raffit78 said:

I live in Rancho Cucamonga, I think San Clemente is about a 1:30-2 hour drive, Excuse me for my ignorance, but is there a lake there? The only one I've been to towards us is Lake Perris, unfortunately you do have to have a "CA" mussel sticker and since the registration took so long, i couldn't go test it before we took it out to Havasu.  I have been to Lake Elsinore as well, I just can't see myself going there for any reason. It's a bit scary when they tell you it's a "no swim" lake.  I mean, what the 

Yeah, you are about an hour north east of me.  I done Perris a few times when I was breaking in my boat, but I don’t like it there.  Elsinore is the closest Lake to me (40min), but it’s gross and I won’t put my family in that water.  San Vicente is in San Diego County and is super clean, and deep!  The lake isn’t huge, but I think it’s the best option around for a day trip.