Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV, 25LSV vs. G23 (or G25)

Monkeybutt

looking at a used 2017 G23 with 170 hours around 120K or a G25 supercharged with 120 hours - demo (still need to be confirmed if warranty was registered so I would be first owner) - quoted me 131 so far.  Used one would be net as I won't pay taxes on the boat because it's a private sale.  The G25 would set me back for taxes.

I haven't spec'd out a G23 new but will do that as well.

How long is the shallow section you idle through??

after the 1st prop I’d be out there with some goggles and shovel clearing any problem areas,

even if I had to do it at night to avoid  being seen

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

looking at a used 2017 G23 with 170 hours around 120K or a G25 supercharged with 120 hours - demo (still need to be confirmed if warranty was registered so I would be first owner) - quoted me 131 so far.  Used one would be net as I won't pay taxes on the boat because it's a private sale.  The G25 would set me back for taxes.

I haven't spec'd out a G23 new but will do that as well.

Well one of those 25lsv’s in my link above was listed at $105 Which is a smokin deal. Pretty sure the seller is a member here too

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Malibu-25LSV-for-sale-Houston-Texas-68629.aspx

half the hours of the G you are looking at and $15k less, 4 tower speakers.

add some gator step and call it a day

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Well one of those 25lsv’s in my link above was listed at $105 Which is a smokin deal. Pretty sure the seller is a member here too

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Malibu-25LSV-for-sale-Houston-Texas-68629.aspx

You know what would look t*ts on the red floor of that boat...? 

Black Gatorstep :yahoo:

26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I think it's funny how people automatically jump to the conclusion that the G23 is the best the industry has to offer.  To be sure, it's a very nice boat.  But I don't get why people automatically default to it when even the slightest dissatisfaction arises with whatever Malibu they're in.  "Screw it, I'll just get the boat I want."  How do you know it's the boat you want?  How many hours have you spent surfing behind it? 

nope not jumping to conclusions - going with the experiences I made with the boat I had and the problem with a channel I have to navigate.  Banging a prop/rudder every other week is not an option and 8 inches difference between a G and a 25LSV matter.  I enjoyed the 23LSV for wakeboarding and surfing but the bow rise was just plain bad - there's no need to discuss this.

No boat will ever be perfect - I'm more than aware of it as there are compromises to be made - we all do.  We still have to get into the water because our 100K+ toys don't have a toilet ...   I did get 170 hours on the boat before selling it - so I obviously had a great summer here in MN.  As said earlier - I had a weight limit due to the previous boat lift - so even the 23LSV was pushing it - just another compromise ... So if I choose to buy another toy and try it out myself.  I have switched brands and have no hesitation to do so again - if you feel like I'm bashing Malibu then you're not getting it ...  More draft is a problem - so that has narrowed the list of boats quite a bit.

21 minutes ago, Stevo said:

How long is the shallow section you idle through??

after the 1st prop I’d be out there with some goggles and shovel clearing any problem areas,

even if I had to do it at night to avoid  being seen

about 50 yards - there are 2 of them.  And one of them has old bridge posts still down there - that's how I damaged the rudder on my old Epic.  Not worried that someone would quiz me what I would be doing but w/o heavy equipment you're not going make a difference.

21 minutes ago, Stevo said:

fugly red - sorry.  The rest of the new ones are either blue or blue :lol:  and I did ask about 2 weeks ago about 2 24MXZs (one new at a Mastercraft dealer for all sakes and the other one at SMG in Houston).  Did call SMG so know a bit about that boat - like the color combo etc. - definitely a good deal compared to the 25s out there.  But as said - draft is still 32".  So what do you want me to do?  Put a 10" prop on it?

2 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

nope not jumping to conclusions - going with the experiences I made with the boat I had and the problem with a channel I have to navigate.  Banging a prop/rudder every other week is not an option and 8 inches difference between a G and a 25LSV matter.  I enjoyed the 23LSV for wakeboarding and surfing but the bow rise was just plain bad - there's no need to discuss this.

Where did I accuse you of bashing?  And I didn't discuss bow rise, but thanks for bringing it up again (since there's no need to discuss it).  

As several G23 owners have testified here, 24" is not the real world draft the G23.  Think about it... The G23 and the 25 LSV weigh almost the same.  They both have a relatively flat bottom.  Why would you believe that the G23 drafts 8" less than the 25 LSV?  Because the specs say so??  I would never blindly base a $120K purchase on boat company specs (especially assuming that specs coming from two different sources are comparable).  And what makes you think the G23 will draft less than your '17 23 LSV...???  Come on man, use your head.  I'm not trying to be difficult here.  I'm just saying it doesn't add up.  Before I stroked a $120K check I'd be making 100% sure, even getting the boats in the water and running through that channel.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Where did I accuse you of bashing?  And I didn't discuss bow rise, but thanks for bringing it up again (since there's no need to discuss it).  

As several G23 owners have testified here, 24" is not the real world draft the G23.  Think about it... The G23 and the 25 LSV weigh almost the same.  They both have a relatively flat bottom.  Why would you believe that the G23 drafts 8" less than the 25 LSV?  Because the specs say so??  I would never blindly base a $120K purchase on boat company specs (especially assuming that specs coming from two different sources are comparable).  And what makes you think the G23 will draft less than your '17 23 LSV...???  Come on man, use your head.  I'm not trying to be difficult here.  I'm just saying it doesn't add up.  Before I stroked a $120K check I'd be making 100% sure, even getting the boats in the water and running through that channel.  

well if you look further up this thread - someone was actually measuring it compared to the pic shown as well and even more to that fact what a current 25LSV owner says when he beaches his boat.  So I would assume that the 25LSV owner speaks from experience ... my .02 cents ... and if I have enough time this week I'll head over to the dealer one more time and measure the same thing myself.  No water testing here anymore - lake is frozen ... 0 draft required

Edited by Monkeybutt
missing answer

Just think about this just to put this into perspective.... My 2004 23LSV has an advertised draft of 24" (its more like 26", figured that out while leveling hoist last year). Granted I had probably 400lbs of gear and fuel in it. Just sticking to comparing dry weights and drafts don't make sense. My LSV vs a G23 dry weights (3,900lbs vs 5,900lbs). If you think a G23 is going to draft the same (or less because you sound quite convinced the G23 has a draft of 24") than something that weights 2,000lbs less you are sadly mistaking 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

U could buy a few props for $15k! 

10 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

Just think about this just to put this into perspective.... My 2004 23LSV has an advertised draft of 24" (its more like 26", figured that out while leveling hoist last year). Granted I had probably 400lbs of gear and fuel in it. Just sticking to comparing dry weights and drafts don't make sense. My LSV vs a G23 dry weights (3,900lbs vs 5,900lbs). If you think a G23 is going to draft the same (or less because you sound quite convinced the G23 has a draft of 24") than something that weights 2,000lbs less you are sadly mistaking 

This is what I’m talking about when I say “use your head.”

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

well if you look further up this thread - someone was actually measuring it compared to the pic shown as well and even more to that fact what a current 25LSV owner says when he beaches his boat.  So I would assume that the 25LSV owner speaks from experience ... my .02 cents ... and if I have enough time this week I'll head over to the dealer one more time and measure the same thing myself.  No water testing here anymore - lake is frozen ... 0 draft required

Be careful, the picture of a G23 does not look like legit. The platform on G series, as far as I reminder is close to the water (bottom touching water) when ballasts are empty and about at water or underwater (top getting wet) when ballast are full.

I am not saying the draft is as described in the spec or is not, no idea about that.

You should definitively check during a test drive at a dealership.

if you primarily want a boat for surfing i would not suggest the g23. just an opinion but the g23 surf wave is not great hard to get adjusted but if you want a redic wakeboard wake g23 all the way

Edited by agarabaghi

This thread gives me an idea to fill front tank next time at the Sandbar to see if back end pops up or at least allows the front not to rise throwing rear into ground could probably get away with less shallow waters perhaps.. 

1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

This thread gives me an idea to fill front tank next time at the Sandbar to see if back end pops up or at least allows the front not to rise throwing rear into ground could probably get away with less shallow waters perhaps.. 

Add a bow sac for the sandbar too - there, just saved you a toon!

5 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Add a bow sac for the sandbar too - there, just saved you a toon!

Got the wifey 75% go on a toon! Same cost as upgrading to that pink M! 

Nooooo i have bowsacafobia. Ha

Edited by The Hulk
17 minutes ago, billjames said:

Be careful, the picture of a G23 does not look like legit. The platform on G series, as far as I reminder is close to the water (bottom touching water) when ballasts are empty and about at water or underwater (top getting wet) when ballast are full.

I am not saying the draft is as described in the spec or is not, no idea about that.

You should definitively check during a test drive at a dealership.

Are you thinking of a different boat? Check out pics of G’s on the water.

actually I'm not that much into surfing for that matter ... but I obviously drive the boat a lot ... so the more I see when under way the better (and safer) off I am ...  needless to say that my wife hated it even more for that fact because she couldn't see anything and isn't comfortable standing and driving the boat.  So wakeboarding matters more than anything and will continue for a long time to come.  I wasn't complaining about the surf wake on the 23LSV - it was actually good and easy to dial in (if you can even call it 'dialing in' - because you eventually fill it up, adjust wedge and call it a day) ...

which brings up another point - one which has been made before.  The look and feel of a wake has a lot to do with personal preference - I have to live with the fact that I'm surfing regular and always think "why is the dang thing always better for goofy riders ... it's my boat" :cry:

driving the boat is a different matter - I think we all know that some boats are easier to handle.  So listening to someone who has driven any boat a lot gives me more insight (beyond the experience I made on my own boats) than going for an hour test drive on a body of water I'm never going to be on again.  As said in my original post - I have learned a lot here about Malibu's but also other boats to be where I'm at today.  Maybe some of you approach this differently (which is okay) but I got here by process of elimination.  Had I followed my gut 4 years ago I would have plunked down 95K for a Centurion FX44 and would have had a hell of a summer changing props ever since ...

I'm surprised how much traction this thread actually has gotten ... and yep - 15K repairs a lot of props over at propmd ...

Monkey,

Enjoy the G, just remember to fill the front before the shallows!  17" props are $$$.  

The whole reason there are different brands is there is no one brand that can claim best of everything.  Get the boat that works for YOUR needs.   

• Like 3