Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter VLX

Dash

I bought a 97 Sunsetter VLX this last summer. The wake I get with 3 people in the boat is quite impressive compared to the I/O we started with. I'm wanting to make it better though. Get a little more air, go a little faster (currently around 22mph). I know I need a 1235 prop. How much ballast should I run in this boat for wakeboarding and what's the best places to position it?

Boards we're using:

Liquid Force Trip

CWB Mode

Byerly Monarch

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Dash said:

I bought a 97 Sunsetter VLX this last summer. The wake I get with 3 people in the boat is quite impressive compared to the I/O we started with. I'm wanting to make it better though. Get a little more air, go a little faster (currently around 22mph). I know I need a 1235 prop. How much ballast should I run in this boat for wakeboarding and what's the best places to position it?

Boards we're using:

Liquid Force Trip

CWB Mode

Byerly Monarch

Thank you!

I don't know if you need a 1235 prop for wake boarding, I think that's more for surfing unless you are high altitude. I have the Acme 537 on mine and like the hole shot with a good top speed for cruising around. I have had mine full of ~ 1500 lbs of ballast and several people in it while we surfed with no issues.  A little ballast goes a long way, at least in mine when we wake board.

We ran 540's in each locker about 50% full and no bow weight for wakeboarding.  It was plenty for us but we didn't have anyone looking to go as big as possible.  Maybe a baby bag (150-200lbs) in the bow?  We loved our 98 sunsetter vlx just the way it came from the factory.  No prop change or anything.  That was a great boat.  If surfing wasn't so damn much fun, I'd still have it....

Dave

Best just to go big 750/1100   you don't have to fill them  and then the room is there if you need more or want to surf

i have some old 400's that i would sell..

• 2 weeks later...

1235 is pretty generic and certainly the best option many years ago but that's not the case today. Get yourself a 15" prop (yes it will fit...Malibu has never sold a V drive that can't handle a 15").  

Go 1100's in the rear. They won't fill all the way but best way to max the space. Then do a ski locker bag and a bow under seat bag plus a couple hundred pounds of lead near the nose under the bow filler cushion. You will get a big wake and all ballast is hidden. 

Probably too late, I have 98 sunsetter. I run 750 in each corner, the stock bag in belly, 450 or so, and run 675 in bow, I removed the seats, and cut a piece of wood to go over all the openings. I think the wave is great, can run 20 mph at 55 ft for learning new tricks, and it gets better down the line. I usually run 65ft, 21.5mph. seems like my liquid force trip board likes that transition better than my Hyperlite B-Side. I have noticed since these hulls are only 93" wide, they are very sensitive. So keep your crew evenly seated. Wake with crumbling top needs more weight. I even have a bag to offset drivers weight, its that sensitive. I think you might need weight in bow, I use to run 400lbs in rear corners and just the belly bag, and I planed off good. But I think you might be too heavy rear now. I also went 1235 prop, at 2500 lbs of ballast, 21.5 mph, my RPM's are only 3200.

Edited by Choiceind