Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV prop options (with the 410)

NWBU

Does Malibu put on any OJ props?

I ordered the 2249 on my build sheet and the boat has a OJ 948. Does it get delivered from the factory with the prop on or is that something my dealer would’ve put on?

1 hour ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Does Malibu put on any OJ props?

I ordered the 2249 on my build sheet and the boat has a OJ 948. Does it get delivered from the factory with the prop on or is that something my dealer would’ve put on?

Pretty sure they’re delivered with props on.

Malibu went away from using OJ years ago but since the two businesses are almost next door in Loudon, maybe they’re working together again. The ‘18 build sheets only specified ACME props though.

9 hours ago, NWBU said:

Malibu went away from using OJ years ago but since the two businesses are almost next door in Loudon, maybe they’re working together again. The ‘18 build sheets only specified ACME props though.

I wonder which acme prop the OJ 948 is similar to. 

Edited by SouthsideBoarder
9 hours ago, NWBU said:

VTX’s come with OJ props, according to @ahopkinsTXi

33 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I wonder which acme prop the OJ 948 is similar to. 

Acme 2249 if you get a little extra cup on it.  Here’s a chart of my ‘16 22VLX with a lot of different props on it. OJ did a 15x16.25 prop called the 925A I think that’s really close to the 2277. It’s my backup prop. With a tad more cup they’d have identical curves.

592767621b049_propellercharts.thumb.png.32e8007e8a08336275e915c705c3e1b8.png

Edited by Slurpee
Correcting prop name
On 12/11/2017 at 8:55 AM, shawndoggy said:

2279 shouldn't be ruled out... same pitch and dia as 2277, but less cup so brings rpms up a little.

I don't have any experience with the 2018 23 LSV, but reading this thread and looking at the numbers on ACME's website, I don't understand why people aren't looking harder at the 2279.  I have a decent amount of experience playing the prop game on other boats and the 2279 would be my starting point (based upon the discussion in this thread).  

Edited by Cory
59 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

from which prop tho? 

(what do you have now?)

2249. The guys with the 2277 aren’t reporting significantly better rpms to make me want to make the switch. I’m not sure where the efficient frontier on pitch vs rpm is, but didn’t even think to look at cup. I was looking at the 2457 and 2497. 

2 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

2249. The guys with the 2277 aren’t reporting significantly better rpms to make me want to make the switch. I’m not sure where the efficient frontier on pitch vs rpm is, but didn’t even think to look at cup. I was looking at the 2457 and 2497. 

that thar is crazy talk in my experience (which is limited to T22).  RPMs surfing are basically the same between the two props (2249 vs 2279), but wakeboarding and especially cruising RPMs are GREATLY improved going from 2249 to 2279.... the 2277 should be even more pronounced given the add'l cup, but I dint go there because of my altitude.  Cruising speed at 4000 rpms is like 3mph faster.

I still have 2249, but it's my spare / above 5000' prop.

But if you are going to err, better to err on the side of higher rpms than lugging.  I did go the other way too, with a 2391, and whoooooo doggie that was too much rpms for me.

46 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

that thar is crazy talk in my experience (which is limited to T22).  RPMs surfing are basically the same between the two props (2249 vs 2279), but wakeboarding and especially cruising RPMs are GREATLY improved going from 2249 to 2279.... the 2277 should be even more pronounced given the add'l cup, but I dint go there because of my altitude.  Cruising speed at 4000 rpms is like 3mph faster.

I still have 2249, but it's my spare / above 5000' prop.

But if you are going to err, better to err on the side of higher rpms than lugging.  I did go the other way too, with a 2391, and whoooooo doggie that was too much rpms for me.

Maybe your definition of significant is different than mine🤷‍♂️  I want to say @NWBU reported 3900 rpm at 26 mph. I’m at 4K rpm at 25mph and we are real close in elevation. 

13 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Maybe your definition of significant is different than mine🤷‍♂️  I want to say @NWBU reported 3900 rpm at 26 mph. I’m at 4K rpm at 25mph and we are real close in elevation. 

Yeah, that’s what I’m seeing, with surf at 3500-3800 depending on speed and wedge.

I actually just went and double checked the prop, thinking it might not have been swapped out at delivery because of the small differences we’re seeing, but it’s a 2277 for sure. 

that's all you are gonna get tho.  You want 3000 rpms at 30mph and you won't be able to surf.  A few hundred RPM is significant in this context.  

Ok with me going to picking up my new LSV Thursday with  the 6.2 410, I want your suggestions. We will Hydrofoil 80 t0 90% of the time Surfing is not big on our list but with this new boat that Percentage may go up some. Most foiling is done between 22 and 24 mph with center balast no wedge on my 2012 VLX. Probably about same with the LSV.

Edited by dalt1

Seems like folks are hung up on surfing.  Here's a chart that I put together for my preferred surfing configuration at 10.8mph in my 2016 22VLX. It's a limited data set so I don't post it a lot.  I kind of like to hang out with a wedge setting of 4 and the difference in RPMs for me between a 2277 and 2249 was close to 200rpms.

So that's a difference, but not a huge one admittedly.  200rpms will burn more fuel and be louder.  How much so?  With the transmission gearing our boats don't even really start moving forward until 2000rpm and by 4000rpm they're pretty much moving at the speed we want and then some.  That's a 2000rpm delta.  Reducing it 200rpms is reducing the engine's load by 10% in my book.  I'll take it if I don't lose anything and I apparently don't.

That's a totally subjective statement though.  What's more important is what do you want to do when you're not surfing.  If you want to run up over 30mph and head to your favorite cove a 2249 is going to be most of the way up in the RPM band burning lots of fuel and screaming loud.  You're saving the better part of a 1000 RPMS by going with a 2277 over a 2249.  This applies to hydrofoiling, slalom, crusing, etc.

surf propeller chart.png

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Ok with me going to picking up my new LSV Thursday with  the 6.2 410, I want your suggestions. We will Hydrofoil 80 t0 90% of the time Surfing is not big on our list but with this new boat that Percentage may go up some. Most foiling is done between 22 and 24 mph with center balast no wedge on my 2012 VLX. Probably about same with the LSV.

I'd definitely start at 2277 in your case.

I recently moved from the 2249 to the 2277. The difference was pretty significant. 

Don't have a side by side at surfing but I believe RPM is still ~300 lower with the 2277. Do not have any issues with full ballast/crew with either prop.

I also like to slalom with my 2018 23LSV at 34mph, so I like having the higher top end. 

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.cca72b5119c4d36f2f1702f98008e93b.JPGIMG_1873.thumb.JPG.a61f373f5b72d0d8f1e880daa01760ff.JPGIMG_1872.thumb.JPG.6f2b7fdc9143ba48c67c082e302c1b6c.JPG

• Like 2

I hope the future Malibu drive train switches to a 15.5" prop for the modern 23 LSV.  The boat needs a bigger prop to reduce prop slippage.  I think a 15" works well for my 2015 22 VLX, but these bigger boats need to grab more water. 

I'll insert one other plug here: The one feature that would cause us to order a new LSV without delay, would be the option to pick rotation direction.  I would be unable to resist that upgrade.  

4 hours ago, Cory said:

I hope the future Malibu drive train switches to a 15.5" prop for the modern 23 LSV.  The boat needs a bigger prop to reduce prop slippage.  I think a 15" works well for my 2015 22 VLX, but these bigger boats need to grab more water. 

I'll insert one other plug here: The one feature that would cause us to order a new LSV without delay, would be the option to pick rotation direction.  I would be unable to resist that upgrade.  

Why stop there? I’d like to see 17” prop and 2:1 like Nautique has been using for the last 5 or 6 years. 

7 hours ago, G Spot said:

I recently moved from the 2249 to the 2277. The difference was pretty significant. 

Don't have a side by side at surfing but I believe RPM is still ~300 lower with the 2277. Do not have any issues with full ballast/crew with either prop.

I also like to slalom with my 2018 23LSV at 34mph, so I like having the higher top end. 

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.cca72b5119c4d36f2f1702f98008e93b.JPGIMG_1873.thumb.JPG.a61f373f5b72d0d8f1e880daa01760ff.JPGIMG_1872.thumb.JPG.6f2b7fdc9143ba48c67c082e302c1b6c.JPG

I’m impressed you slalom behind the 23. Do you have the diamond hull? What do you think of the wake?

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

pfft.  The Titanic had three and four blade prop options.

titanic_propellors.gif

I’ve stood in that exact spot. Was very cool but very weird as well. 

15 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

I’m impressed you slalom behind the 23. Do you have the diamond hull? What do you think of the wake?

I have the wake hull. It's really not too bad at 34. I suspect the surf pipe helps make the wake softer because this wake feels better than my 2011 LSV, even though the 2018 is significantly heavier. 

Unfortunately I don't have a video or shot of the wake, but I am able to tear across pretty good. IMG_2196_small.thumb.jpg.793ea289b249840f79ad95bb1074506a.jpg

• Like 4