Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV prop options (with the 410)

NWBU

I'm working on a 23 LSV build right now with the 410 and am pretty much down to just deciding on colors and prop. For the prop, I'm debating between the standard 2277 or the 2249 high altitude prop because of the 2018's extra weight compared to the 2017s. Leaning toward the 2277 because of wanting lower RPMs but on a demo a few months ago, the boat seemed to struggle to get to surf speed with 550 in the PNPs and 7 adults at sea level. Dumping some PNP weight to get back down to 450ish, or adding human bow ballast both solved the issue but indicated there isn't as much room left on the power curve as I'd hoped with the 2277.

Our use is 90% surf, 5% wakeboard and 5% other... Most of our time on the boat is near sea level, with some trips to lakes in the 1,000-2000' elevations and a long weekend at 5,000'. I figure I'll toss in a bow bag for that weekend at least.

Looking at quite a few dealer inventories online, it seems like most are ordering 2277s for their inventory boats but I noticed WSA is going with 2249s for their inventory builds. I'm curious what others here are ordering for their 2018's with 410s, and what actual experience has been so far with those that have taken delivery or demoed 410s?

The 2017 23 lsv is a few hundred pounds lighter, but the 2249 is too torquey for me. I run a 2401 and it runs a little sluggish fully loaded at 1100 ft unless I put in some bow weight. The 2277 in my friend's boat seems to be the happy medium. 

I'm went with the 2277. I'm going to run this and see how it does this spring, and if I'm not happy, AWS said we could work something out and switch to a 2247  @ConnollyCrew said he really like this one. Also I like having 2 props so I will probably keep the other for a spare, 

• Like 2

If your surfing 90% of the time, get the 2249.  You’ve already demoed the boat with a 2277 and seen what it can do, and you don’t sound like you were impressed.  At 5000’ for your trip you will definitely want the 2249.

You obviously will sacrifice top end, but you’ll have lower rpms at surf speed 

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, wakebrdr94 said:

If your surfing 90% of the time, get the 2249.  You’ve already demoed the boat with a 2277 and seen what it can do, and you don’t sound like you were impressed.  At 5000’ for your trip you will definitely want the 2249.

You obviously will sacrifice top end, but you’ll have lower rpms at surf speed 

I agree on this as the demo we were on it seamed a bit to struggle but I want more then just an hour to really research this, Thankfully my dealer will switch me out on which ever prop I decide to do. So how much difference between the 2247 & 2249 it cant be much? 

46 minutes ago, Wakesetter67 said:

I agree on this as the demo we were on it seamed a bit to struggle but I want more then just an hour to really research this, Thankfully my dealer will switch me out on which ever prop I decide to do. So how much difference between the 2247 & 2249 it cant be much? 

Difference is only $258 (MSRP) so it’s not a cost thing, rather just trying to get it right the first time.

3 hours ago, NWBU said:

Difference is only $258 (MSRP) so it’s not a cost thing, rather just trying to get it right the first time.

Sorry I ment between the 2 props as in performance, The 2249 & 2247

For what it’s worth, I ordered 2249 after a demo with that prop. RPM’s were 3800 while surfing... not as low as my 25 was, but not the end of the world either. I had nobody in the bow so that should help when I have the family with me. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

For what it’s worth, I ordered 2249 after a demo with that prop. RPM’s were 3800 while surfing... not as low as my 25 was, but not the end of the world either. I had nobody in the bow so that should help when I have the family with me. 

You went with a 410?

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

No @IXFE Edition Build thread this year?  :(

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I'm circling back to this since I originally ordered the 2249 after my demo last fall, and a couple other guys did too, but I switched to the 2277 before taking delivery this spring. So far I'm happy with the 2277 and I wouldn't want the 2249 for my area, which is close to sea level. Running full stock and PNP, I'm seeing surf RPMs from 3500-3800, depending on wedge position. 

I'll get a chance in a few weeks to see how the 2277 does at a 4,800' elevation lake.

I’ve been impressed with the 2249 so far on my 2018 with 410. I ran the OJ 945 a few times but the 2249 seams like a better fit for my setup.

I went with the 2249. I think it’s a joke Malibu upcharges for it considering the two props costs the EXACT same online. Not many dealers will let you swap back and forth so consider yourself lucky. I still go back and forth on if I’m going to switch to a 2277 or try and squeeze a 15.5” prop on there. Might need a small piece of stainless steel to avoid gel coat burn for the latter. Cruising rpms suck with the 2249. My boat is turning 4K rpms at 25mph. @NWBU didn’t report significantly better numbers so I’m not really thinking it’s worth throwing $600 at another prop as of now. 

19 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I went with the 2249. I think it’s a joke Malibu upcharges for it considering the two props costs the EXACT same online. Not many dealers will let you swap back and forth so consider yourself lucky. I still go back and forth on if I’m going to switch to a 2277 or try and squeeze a 15.5” prop on there. Might need a small piece of stainless steel to avoid gel coat burn for the latter. Cruising rpms suck with the 2249. My boat is turning 4K rpms at 25mph. @NWBU didn’t report significantly better numbers so I’m not really thinking it’s worth throwing $600 at another prop as of now. 

I’m thankful to hear that this is “normal” for the 2249. I have that and am also pushing 4K at 25. I was a little concerned after reading others who report low RPMs and mine seemed so high. 

3 hours ago, NWBU said:

TMC on the water today - @CharlieBeaUdropping way back.

Setup was all stock and PNP (475s) full, except starboard rear at 75%. Speed 10.4, wedge 3 clicks from lift and RPMs were 3500.

896AC827-293C-4F9C-9545-F3BB1787E9A8.thumb.jpeg.ef7242ba618812cda6fc647f9773ce6e.jpeg

I had so much fun with @NWBU on his 2018 23 LSV this morning. There was so much wave to work with and it was so forgiving to a bobble or 2. What a great start to a Friday.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NWBU said:

I'll get a chance in a few weeks to see how the 2277 does at a 4,800' elevation lake.

I don’t think it will be enough. I switch to the 2249 when going to 2500 ft in my 17 23lsv. 

8 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I don’t think it will be enough. I switch to the 2249 when going to 2500 ft in my 17 23lsv. 

What ballast setup are you running? Curious because I'll be heading to higher altitude in August and wondering if I need a more aggressive prop.

11 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

What ballast setup are you running? Curious because I'll be heading to higher altitude in August and wondering if I need a more aggressive prop.

Everything full, 750 rear PNP and 200 lead in the front. Sometimes use an additional bow bag. I guess It depends on your crew size. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Unfortunately my backup is also a 2277 so I'm stuck with that prop. I'll see how it does, and may have to dump some rear weight if needed.

My 2008 with the 340 never had issues going between sea level and a couple of 5,000' lakes each summer with the same ballast setup at each but this boat is quite a bit heavier.

FWIW last week I had 11 people in my boat at 2000' with no issues for surfing and wakeboarding.  I dont max ballast out with that many people when surfing (rear bags 200-300 lbs ea side) and only run hard tanks/wedge for advanced wakeboarders.  Although it's about maxed out, if I were going higher in elevation I would start looking at propping down.