Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer swing bolt stuck

TC_2006_VLX

So my new trailer has two bolts for the swing feature. I was able to get one bolt out, but the other isnt cooperating. I have tried using penetrating oil along with beating the life out of it but still no luck... any recommendations?

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I'm not really familiar with that swing mechanism, but is that bolt supposed to stay in and you pivot on it?

Looks like a removable tongue not a pivoting one.  Funny thing is that from the side shot it looks like someone took a pivoting tongue and turned it into a removable.

Edited by oldjeep

Swing away tungues dont usually require the removal of a bolt. One pin, yes, but not a bolt and no tools required except for the occasional stuck pin. So if its a threaded bolt, it should stay. Whats left should be the pivot and would not come out. Looks like you are ready to swing away. 

6 minutes ago, MLA said:

Swing away tungues dont usually require the removal of a bolt. One pin, yes, but not a bolt and no tools required except for the occasional stuck pin. So if its a threaded bolt, it should stay. Whats left should be the pivot and would not come out. Looks like you are ready to swing away. 

Look at the picture - neither are bolts, they are both pins

8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Look at the picture - neither are bolts, they are both pins

To quote Lt Dan "yes....yes I know that" I see the pins, thats why im wondering about what bolts the OP is trying to remove. 

Correct I think it is removable not a swing tongue. This is my first trailer that is removable vs swing. I have always dreaded the bolts seizing in there thus i try to pull them out from time to time. This should just pound out in theory...

Looks like a swinger to me! Why else would it have the rubber bumper thingy? Now that you have the front pin out, try smacking the side of the tongue to free up the swing. Put a piece of wood on 1st to protect the trailer paint!

10 minutes ago, MLA said:

The big rubber bump stop speaks to a swing away. 

That is why I say it looks like someone used a swing tongue stub to make that trailer a removable.  Look at the side view, you can see the offset 2nd pin hole that would be used for swing away but there is no bolt or pin that lines up with it.  Then look at the bolt/pin geometry from the top and see if you can figure out anyway that tongue swings to the left utilizing one of them as a pivot point. Maybe that back one could be a pivot if the pivot sleeve is super thin and the a frame actually lets what looks like the second pin sleeve pass beside it.

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Looks like a swinger to me! Why else would it have the rubber bumper thingy? Now that you have the front pin out, try smacking the side of the tongue to free up the swing. Put a piece of wood on 1st to protect the trailer paint!

11 minutes ago, MLA said:

The big rubber bump stop speaks to a swing away. 

Guys - Take another look.  I don't think it can be.  The mechanics of that don't seem to make it a swing tongue to me, but it is hard to see in those pics.  That bracket would only allow it to swing to the stbd side of the boat and the pin is on the wrong side for that to happen.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That is why I say it looks like someone used a swing tongue stub to make that trailer a removable.  Look at the side view, you can see the offset 2nd pin hole that would be used for swing away but there is no bolt or pin that lines up with it.  Then look at the bolt/pin geometry from the top and see if you can figure out anyway that tongue swings to the left utilizing one of them as a pivot point. Maybe that back one could be a pivot if the pivot sleeve is super thin and the a frame actually lets what looks like the second pin sleeve pass beside it.

This theory seems more likely to me

I had a Dorsey just like that. The swing pin is hidden and you must remove both pins to swivel.  When working properly its a solid setup. Three pins total.

Edited by windy1
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, windy1 said:

I had a Dorsey just like that. The swing pin is hidden and you must remove both pins to swivel.  When working properly its a solid setup. Three pins total.

That makes sense

29 minutes ago, windy1 said:

That explains the short side pivot that you can see from the side then.  Pretty wild that they flush weld a hinge pin in the trailer.

Edited by oldjeep

Well much to my dismay that rear bolt continues to haunt me. I purchased an air hammer drill and went to town on it last night but with no luck. The bolt didnt even budge... You guys think cutting it would be our best bet?

I wouldn’t cut it until I knew I had a place to purchase a replacement. There have been a few threads on replacement bolts and pins that have sheared off under load.

How about using some liquid wrench, a block of wood(as your fulcrum, and protect the trailer paint) and a hammer / pry bar that would fit around that head while using the air hammer from the underside.

next would be using some large vice grips to get some sort of rotation movement , then back to the hammer

Edited by Stevo