Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 25lsv

chrismclean1

Curious about your opinions on the motor options for the 18 25 lsv since I’m looking to upgrade.   I’m in Minnesota so elevation is not an issue.  I currently have a 16 23 lsv with the 410.  I usually surf with 2 other people.  Throw a 650 in the bow and 850 on the floor with pnp 750’s.  Never had a power issue.  Of course the dealer says people have been happier with the 575 and most of the boats they have online do have the 575.  I’m not to concerned with taking a hit on resale as I will probably hang on to this boat awhile

Also, are you adding weight besides the stock and pnp to dial in the wave?

thanks

The 450 and 2:1 tranny is an awesome combination.  We’ve had 18 people and gear on that boat and it did the job fine.  Now we did have to empty PNP with so many people on the boat, but unless you need to go 48mph, you’ll be good with the 450

• Like 2

450 has done awesome so far for us, plenty of power.

fully sacked for surfing it gets on plane just fine when we move from different sloughs at the delta. Couldn't do that with my 14- 23lsv with the 350.

personally unless you are at altitude I can't see justification for the $$$ on the 575

Edited by Stevo
4 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

The 450 and 2:1 tranny is an awesome combination.  We’ve had 18 people and gear on that boat and it did the job fine.  Now we did have to empty PNP with so many people on the boat, but unless you need to go 48mph, you’ll be good with the 450

I think there isn't any differences in torque at the prop with the different gear ratios not justifiable for the cost.. ROMs will def be lower with 575 due to gear ratios.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
On 12/8/2017 at 8:04 AM, chrismclean1 said:

Thanks for the replies.  It is good to know the 450 is “enough”.

With the 17” prop what prop are you guys running?

Thanks!

It's not only enough it's perfect for our elevations. I've driven a 16 and 17 so both transmissions and props. Both handled fully loaded ballast with plug n play with up to 15 people in the boat. I'd never upgrade to the super charged engine at our elevations. Money better spent on G4 and clamping racks or other options. 

If budget allows, 575 for sure!

We have the 450 in our 2017 25 LSV, and do suffer power issues even with the high altitude prop and 2:1 when we are fully weighted with 15+ people. We run 750lb sacs in the rear with 100% stock filled at no elevation. Occasionally we drop another 500lb bag on the floor, no issues with power at all until we load the boat with friends. 

Long story short, 450 will provide for 99% of any 25 LSV owners. 575 is for the 1% of the those are running professional athlete caliber weight. We are happy with the 450, we are on plane without hesitation 75% of the time we ride, and struggle a bit for the occasional loaded set. 

Hope this helps! You will love the step up from a 23 LSV to a 25 LSV