Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumb Slalom Question but I'm going to ask anyway.

kpair

Wakeboarder here... got your back! The skier has made it around 3 bouys!

They also do partial points I believe based on where they fall between bouys.

Then how can someone (in water ski mag) who gets 2@41off tie someone who gets 3@41off? Wouldn't 3@41off win?

Can you give an example of this?

Here's another example from water ski mag. Parrish and Brown both score 2 @ 39.5 off but Brown wins. I'm confused.

Here's another example from water ski mag. Parrish and Brown both score 2 @ 39.5 off but Brown wins. I'm confused.

In that situation I would think that they tied in the regular round and then had a runoff and Marcus beat Chris.

But for a 3@41 to be tie with 2@41 is something I have never heard of.

As to the next question that will most likely come up... "how do you score a 1/4 or 1/2 bouy"?

I seem to remember someone saying that the Canadian and US rules are slightly different here, but I couldn't find the US rules on this. The Canadian rules regarding what is 1/4, 1/2 or a full bouy are on page 20 here: http://www.waterski-wakeboard.ca/resources/2006rules.pdf

Mike

Then how can someone (in water ski mag) who gets 2@41off tie someone who gets 3@41off? Wouldn't 3@41off win?

Its that new fuzzy slalom math. :lol:

I believe in order to score a full bouy you have to make it back to the wake. Possibly across the second wake.

so 1@41off would mean the skier made it around 1 and back to the wake then fell. 1.5@41off would mean you made it to the 2nd buoy then fell, etc... maybe someone can clarify exactly what 1/4 buoys are.

int'l rules are a buoy count - or total number of buoys you rounded. scored like: Wade Cox - 56 buoys. Not sure what the starting point is because the skier can usually elect to start at any line length, but won't score 1 ball unless they complete that pass, then they can start scoring. which is why most pros start at 32 or 35off. Imagine skiing passes from 15,22,28,32,35,38,39.5,then maybe 41 and 43 - that's 9passes progressively getting harder. It would be nearly impossible for anybody to get the later passes - and even harder to break records and whatnot. Not 100% on the int'l rules though...

Edited by H20ski Dude

Recalling from....err....1992....

As mentioned, one bouy is from center wake around the bouy and back to center wake.

1/4 bouy is falling outside the bouy line.

1/2 bouy is falling before the wake. (but in control around bouy)

1 bouy is back inside the wake (centerline course)

3.5 @ 38 off is 38 feet off a 75' line, and making it around bouy #3 but falling before getting back to the wake. (Or falling at the wake)

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Okay, I have a dumb question also. I just got my first issue of waterski magazine (1 year free from a wakeboarding competition) and in the mag it kept talking about people running 30 off, 36 off 38 off and getting 3, 2, 4, etc.. but it NEVER mentioned the speed. Is there a standard speed in pros running the course in tournaments? I know when the do PB's they run as fast as they can as short as they can and hope to hit one, but I was a little confused while reading the article.

Also, I thought it was funny how Malibu advertised the VLX and other wakeboarding specific boats in waterski magazine :lol:

ok...

any guy over 16 the max speed is 36mph or 58kmh and takes 16.08 seconds from enterance gates to exit gates. for the ladies its a max speed of 34.2mph or 55kmh and a time of 16.95. pro men start at 32off or 13m the green bit. and ladies on the 28 off rope or 14.25m, yellow.

to score any points the skier must ski through the enterance gates and around 1 ball. to score a quarter point the skier must get outside the ball and fall before he can get back inside the buoy line of 1,3,5 or 2,4,6. to score a half point the skier must ski back inside the buoy line but not make it too the wake. and the full point is back to the line of boat guides. used to be the middle of the wake but not anymore.

all this has to be done in the skiing position, defined as

1. with the handle in your hand

2. the skier have majority of weight on the ski

3. have the ski attached to your feet (no footing back to the wake).

In that situation I would think that they tied in the regular round and then had a runoff and Marcus beat Chris.

But for a 3@41 to be tie with 2@41 is something I have never heard of.

The WS Mag article refers to the Pro Slalom Shootout back in June- they used some different formats. In the situation where Marcus beat Chris with the same score ([email protected] off) it was in the Malibu vs. Mastercraft team competition. Skiers were paired off behind 'their' brand of boat. The first skier out put down a score which the other skier had to beat- no ties. In this pairing, Marcus drew first (behind the MC), skied 39.5 off; Chris went second (Malibu) and also ran 39.5 off. Marcus declared the winner bcs. Chris didn't beat his score.

There were 4 other pairings & the Team Malibu skiers won them all!

ok...

any guy over 16 the max speed is 36mph or 58kmh and takes 16.08 seconds from enterance gates to exit gates. for the ladies its a max speed of 34.2mph or 55kmh and a time of 16.95. pro men start at 32off or 13m the green bit. and ladies on the 28 off rope or 14.25m, yellow.

to score any points the skier must ski through the enterance gates and around 1 ball. to score a quarter point the skier must get outside the ball and fall before he can get back inside the buoy line of 1,3,5 or 2,4,6. to score a half point the skier must ski back inside the buoy line but not make it too the wake. and the full point is back to the line of boat guides. used to be the middle of the wake but not anymore.

all this has to be done in the skiing position, defined as

1. with the handle in your hand

2. the skier have majority of weight on the ski

3. have the ski attached to your feet (no footing back to the wake).

Good explaination Toby, except only B3, M1, M2 and open Men ski a t max speed of 58PH, M3,4,5,6 ski at a max speed of 55KPH.

Good explaination Toby, except only B3, M1, M2 and open Men ski a t max speed of 58PH, M3,4,5,6 ski at a max speed of 55KPH.

yeah i wasnt 100% on your age brackets (i think they are the same as ours though). ie B1,2,3 or whatever so didnt bother.

was that you who got second at nationals skisix? M2?

As to the next question that will most likely come up... "how do you score a 1/4 or 1/2 bouy"?

I seem to remember someone saying that the Canadian and US rules are slightly different here, but I couldn't find the US rules on this. The Canadian rules regarding what is 1/4, 1/2 or a full bouy are on page 20 here: http://www.waterski-wakeboard.ca/resources/2006rules.pdf

Mike

Here's a link to what I belive are the USA rules. Very similar, the document posted above has a better chart of the course though.

It also discusses boat speed. Old guys like me only get to go 34 MPH (so we don't get hurt :) )

http://usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/2006...Rule%20Book.pdf

The reason they never mention speeds in the tournament results is because until you reach you max speed for your age bracket (read: complete a full pass at that speed), you can't shorten the rope (or at least, it doesn't count toward your total ball count). The fact that they are skiing at their max speed is basically inferred.

Edited by TJP

yeah i wasnt 100% on your age brackets (i think they are the same as ours though). ie B1,2,3 or whatever so didnt bother.

was that you who got second at nationals skisix? M2?

I WISH!!!! No, I didn't go this year. I had only been skiing again for 2 weeks after knee surgery and I missed the Regionals because of knee surgery. Next year!

Right TJP

But no one has explained how a 2@41 beats a 3@41. Surprised.gif

My ADD is flaring up today so I only read parts of this, but typically when you see results like that, the 3@41 is what they tied at before the run-off and the 2@41 was the best score of the run-off.

When we took the clinic with Wade Cox in '04 he was coming from an event in Akron where he ran 1.5@41. 2 others ran 2@41 so those 2 had a run-off. The next day they published the results and it said [email protected] won the event which confused me. [email protected] is what it took to win the run-off between the 2 guys who tied for 1st in the event. So Wade ended up being third with 1.5@41.

One other point of interest here is that in a run off condition like the above, the skiers have to go off the dock at the last fully completed pass. So, in this case both skiers were tied at a partial pass of 41 but had fully completed the 39 pass. They went off the dock at 39- cold.

The reason they never mention speeds in the tournament results is because until you reach you max speed for your age bracket (read: complete a full pass at that speed), you can't shorten the rope (or at least, it doesn't count toward your total ball count). The fact that they are skiing at their max speed is basically inferred.

I'm pretty sure that's not entirely true. For example, if I go off the dock at 15-off at 30mph and, whether or not I make my pass, decide to shorten up and come back at 22-off at 30mph and make that pass I actually get credit for the "skipped" pass of 15-off at 34mph.

Can anyone correct or verify that?

Mike