Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If you could choose between a 2016 25 LSV and a 2018 Axis A24

NorNevRider

no you cannot run a 17" prop on the 16 25.  Different drivetrain.  

You'll be fine with a 15".  You might be able to get away with a 15.5" ( @IXFE?) but the 15 will probably do fine, just fine.

Fuel burn won't be an issue on the 25.  That boat has a huge tank.  Fuel economy is really a red herring on these things.... the gas is the last dollar spent, and it also corresponds directly to fun on the water with friends and family.  I've never been bummed about my fuel burn.  And in any event my unscientific wild guess is that 2:1/17" is not going to make a meaningful difference in fuel burn.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

You'll be fine with a 15".  You might be able to get away with a 15.5" ( @IXFE?) but the 15 will probably do fine, just fine.

Fuel burn won't be an issue on the 25.  That boat has a huge tank.  Fuel economy is really a red herring on these things.... the gas is the last dollar spent, and it also corresponds directly to fun on the water with friends and family.  I've never been bummed about my fuel burn.  And in any event my unscientific wild guess is that 2:1/17" is not going to make a meaningful difference in fuel burn.

My 25 was a ‘17 with a 17” prop. I have no idea what you can get away with on a ‘16

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I think you are looking at maybe 7/8” clearance on a 15”.  As much as I would like to try the 15.5” on a 2016 it’s cutting it to close for me.  

If you end up with the 25LSV I think you would be fine and may prefer the 2277(15x15.75).  I started with the 2247 (15x14.25) and it was overkill in my opinion.

As an experiment I am going to even try the 2401 (15x17.75).  I think there is still some room for more pitch but I am not convinced I will like it with full ballast and crew.

The 2017+ 25LSVs all run a 17”x20 pitch with the 2:1.  Even with the 2:1 that is a lot more prop than a 15x17.75 with the 1.75:1 ratio.  This also leads me to beleive the 2401 may be a viable prop in the mix on the 2016.  Wish there was a 15x16.5 option but I am probably overthinking this but that’s part of the fun.

Probably more info the the original poster wanted, but that pretty much lays out all your prop options if you go with the 25LSV.  

On 12/7/2017 at 9:29 PM, store934 said:

I think you are looking at maybe 7/8” clearance on a 15”.  As much as I would like to try the 15.5” on a 2016 it’s cutting it to close for me.  

If you end up with the 25LSV I think you would be fine and may prefer the 2277(15x15.75).  I started with the 2247 (15x14.25) and it was overkill in my opinion.

As an experiment I am going to even try the 2401 (15x17.75).  I think there is still some room for more pitch but I am not convinced I will like it with full ballast and crew.

The 2017+ 25LSVs all run a 17”x20 pitch with the 2:1.  Even with the 2:1 that is a lot more prop than a 15x17.75 with the 1.75:1 ratio.  This also leads me to beleive the 2401 may be a viable prop in the mix on the 2016.  Wish there was a 15x16.5 option but I am probably overthinking this but that’s part of the fun.

Probably more info the the original poster wanted, but that pretty much lays out all your prop options if you go with the 25LSV.  

I run a 2401 on a 2017 23 lsv with a 410 motor at 1000ft. It is a great prop, but when we get heavy it does dog out a some. My friend runs the 2277 on his and it gets up to plane a little better than mine. I just make sure I run weight in the bow to keep the nose down and the prop straight. 

On 12/8/2017 at 0:29 AM, store934 said:

Agreed, I'm on fence of new prop being a 2277 or having oj custom make one.

thinking about a custom 15.25" x 16ish.

I measured and there seems to be about 7/8"-1" clearance with a 15" 

Edited by The Hulk

The interior is nice too. Red, tan, and grey. I like the black mixed in tastefully with the red under the bow of the boat. I thought the A24 had tons of room but this thing is monstrous. I did like how the Axis had the batteries moved under the bow seating area though. Kind of opened up the other compartment. 

Now I have another question. This boat had dual exhaust exiting downward. Is there any actual benefit to the new Surfpipe when the exhaust is already underwater, or is it just a gimmick? 

Congrats on the boat!  The turn down exhaust tips help a bit on the noise, but do little for the exhaust smells like the surf pipe would.  I bet you won't find the need for the surf pipe.  

15 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

The interior is nice too. Red, tan, and grey. I like the black mixed in tastefully with the red under the bow of the boat. I thought the A24 had tons of room but this thing is monstrous. I did like how the Axis had the batteries moved under the bow seating area though. Kind of opened up the other compartment. 

Now I have another question. This boat had dual exhaust exiting downward. Is there any actual benefit to the new Surfpipe when the exhaust is already underwater, or is it just a gimmick? 

I've noticed when we have a light Crew and load, that if u are headed down wind the exhaust may stay with the boat a bit up closer to boat with minimal Slight winds.. . 

surffurther back and it's not bad or non existent, up wind or cross wind and it's pretty much non existent or with heavier load where they are submerged. 

Hasn'tbeen an issues that concerns me yet to spend the money.. if I had kidos surfing hours on end up closer to boat I'd add one as precaution. us old folks are lucky to get a 10-15 min set before next person is up and u can drop back sooo far on the 25 it's not a problem.. if u like to ride low and close and longer 30-1hr sets it's something to consider.. my.02

if your on windy lakes probably no need

Edited by The Hulk
  • 1 year later...

Bump. Considering a new A24 or a 2016 25 LSV. I was hoping to get the new A24 for around 90 or so and I don’t think that can happen but I’ve found a couple 2016 25 LSVs for around 90 with less than 150 hours.

Is it a mistake to buy a 25 LSV almost out of warranty? Is the 25 LSV that much better or would the newer A24 win out? 

6 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Bump. Considering a new A24 or a 2016 25 LSV. I was hoping to get the new A24 for around 90 or so and I don’t think that can happen but I’ve found a couple 2016 25 LSVs for around 90 with less than 150 hours.

Is it a mistake to buy a 25 LSV almost out of warranty? Is the 25 LSV that much better or would the newer A24 win out? 

So a friend of mine has a 2016 25LSV for sale, but it doesn't sound like it's one of the ones you're looking at, so I'll speak more freely ha.

The 2016 25LSV has a 15" prop, which is going to limit what the boat can do. It still has a VERY big wake and wave. From a pure performance standpoint, I think I'd take a 2018 A24 over it since you're getting the 17" prop setup. Other than that, it's an incredibly reliable boat. It's true though, if you have out of warranty repairs, Bust Out Another Thousand. On asthetics, that's 100% up to you. The 25LSV definitely feels more luxurious than the A24.

I had 12-15 people and full ballast plus PNP and wedge in a 2016 25lsv and was still easily able to surf at 11mph. I don’t think I’d say the 15” prop is really that limiting. Also ran a 1000 lb fat sack on the floor with about 8 people in the boat, still no issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I had 12-15 people and full ballast plus PNP and wedge in a 2016 25lsv and was still easily able to surf at 11mph. I don’t think I’d say the 15” prop is really that limiting. Also ran a 1000 lb fat sack on the floor with about 8 people in the boat, still no issues. 

Cool thank you!

45 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

So a friend of mine has a 2016 25LSV for sale, but it doesn't sound like it's one of the ones you're looking at, so I'll speak more freely ha.

The 2016 25LSV has a 15" prop, which is going to limit what the boat can do. It still has a VERY big wake and wave. From a pure performance standpoint, I think I'd take a 2018 A24 over it since you're getting the 17" prop setup. Other than that, it's an incredibly reliable boat. It's true though, if you have out of warranty repairs, Bust Out Another Thousand. On asthetics, that's 100% up to you. The 25LSV definitely feels more luxurious than the A24.

It's a trade off of lower price up front for more repairs down the line I guess; thanks!

33 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Don't limit yourself to 150 hours or less either.  I get tired of preaching this, but a boat that is used and loved can be better than one that was broken out on a few occasions.  Especially with a newer boat that has been maintained properly, lots of hours means that the owner loved the boat and was probably sure to keep it running in top shape.  Weekend warriors who don't take the time to know and enjoy their boats may not be the best owners to buy from.  There are exceptions, but hours alone do not tell the story.  

This is excellent advice, thank you!

25lsv with maybe even a g4 ! 

Some 16s were sold late 16 or early 17 and may still have 2 seasons or years left so dont just go by model year. 

I bought late August 2016 so I have mostly 2 seasons left , I'd probably do same next time as if feels like u get another year 

20 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yes this!!!

OP, Lower prop angle more fwd push, no problems with 18ppl and full ballast surfing at 11+ 

Some hearsay that newer 25s may have a tad more bow rise than the 16s do. Regardless u can fix any concerns with a different prop based on your elevation and how u normally roll slammed or empty.

2249 I think?  and the 2277 are the two props if I recall depending on your situation. 

It's a hard choice but look into actual warranty dates that may change your mind if buying used. 

There may be some or a lot of kinks needing worked out on a new boat also which has probably already been done on the one with a few hours. 

Tough choices both great happy hunting!! 

Edited by The Hulk
20 hours ago, Raleigh said:

It's a trade off of lower price up front for more repairs down the line I guess; thanks!

That's not necessarily true at all.  These new boats tend to have a lot of bugs to iron out, using the warranty early on.  They tend to get more reliable after that's handled.  A properly cared for boat can go years without needing anything but the normal scheduled maintenance you would pay on even a brand new boat.

We are finishing up our 9th season on our '01, a MUCH older boat.  We use it a lot and have never been stranded once.  Repairs (beyond self causes stuff, like a ground strike) have been infrequent and minor.  The only Bust Out Another Thousand I have ever seen is the cash I've blown on modifications, which has been relatively extensive...

On 9/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, TallRedRider said:

Don't limit yourself to 150 hours or less either.  I get tired of preaching this, but a boat that is used and loved can be better than one that was broken out on a few occasions.  Especially with a newer boat that has been maintained properly, lots of hours means that the owner loved the boat and was probably sure to keep it running in top shape.  Weekend warriors who don't take the time to know and enjoy their boats may not be the best owners to buy from.  There are exceptions, but hours alone do not tell the story.  

This is great advice. I’d like to say that we have 240 hours on our boat after 2 seasons. We had 2 warranty issues this year and the dealer just took care of everything perfectly and quickly. People who use their boat a lot do take excellent care of the boat. 

I don’t know how limiting a 15” prop is. My good friend has a 19 24MXZ and unless his boat is stuffed full of people, our wave is better and longer. We can run a lot more ballast than he can, and still surf at 11.2 to 11.5. We rarely have more than 5 people in the boat. We almost bought the 18 A24. But I guarantee my boat is more comfortable, and we rarely use the bow. Looking at the A24 and the MXZ, I cant distinguish any difference in the hull. I have surfed behind my buddies 24MXZ about 9 hours worth, so I would say I know it very well. I have also driven it multiple hours. It does turn a bit better than my 25. His boat has the direct injection 6.0 and we have the 6.2 Raptor motor. Power is pretty similar on both boats. My boat is way louder by far. He also has a surf pipe, but the noise is in the 6.2 double overhead camshafts. 

Im writing all this so people can make an informed choice between the 2018 A24 and the 2016 25LSV. I hope it help. It’s not quite apples to apples but it’s a fairly experienced comparison. I like both boats and if you can get a well cared for 25LSV for a very reasonable price, it is worth it. A low or no hours A24 will not disappoint, I assure you.